Lt. Commander
# 1 The reward problem
05-13-2012, 07:08 AM
I will explain why PvP is not popular atm.

Back when I started to play STO 1 of the appealing features of the game was that you could get the best gear from what you prefered to do in the game(PvP or PvE).Now there is no incentive to participate in PvP matches at all.

Wanna know why?You moved all the new rewards and "end game" gear into STFs,making it a never ending but rewarding grind.Those players (at least the majority) are not there because STFs are THAT FUN,they are just trying to do whats the ultimate goal in every MMO--->progressing with their characters.If thats possible only in STFs,every1 will go there.I farmed up 2 full MK XI sets and a MK XII shield(ship) too because thats what the devs decided that I am supposed to do for the new gear.I went through all the STFs before the dumbing down and let me tell you it was a hellish experience.A year+ ago STFs were not popular at all,they are only popular and played now because all the useful rewards were moved there to make it more appealing.

On the other hand there is PvP which I find fun but there is no point playing PvP matches at all.The sad dilithium I am getting from the quests(or that sad amount of energy credits while we are at it) is just not worth the effort at all.So far I never reached the 8k daily cap on a character from PvP.What you didnt consider is that PvP matches often last as long as half hour(if not more),I would say that 1400dil/match sounds about right(like in STFs you know).

Being able to get the "whatever is the best gear right now" from PvP would be great,otherwise I just dont see the point in playing more than 1-2 matches(that alone would fill the queues again).If next week you would turn entire thing around(offering the "cool" and "new" items for participating in PvP and not for STFs)
I assure you that almost nobody would play STFs and the PvP queues would be full(saw it happen in other MMOs if S2 and Merciless tells you something f.ex.).STF queues would look like a ghost town

STO PvP is not bad at all imo(especially the space part but ground improved a lot too compared to what what it was),all you need is 1-2 new maps,REAL REWARDS from PvP(and no more STF favoritizing) to fix it.Removing PvP would be catastrophic,whats the point in getting new gear if I cant use it against other players?I will tell you,nothing(I can solo all singlep. content with a danube class runabout and I could probably farm up 30 borg chips tonight whit a full white geared ship and captain from elite STFs).

Thats all there is to it really,the crowd goes where the gear is(and I assume that the STF designer knows this too,thats why STFs are now filled with fat loot)
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Well, that's ONE of the problems...
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-13-2012, 07:11 AM
How about this

you WIN in Pvp you get an item identical to one the guy you beat has (same item identical)
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Well, that's ONE of the problems...
Yeah we could talk about other problems too,but what matters is that everything is popular only if there is incentive to play it
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-13-2012, 07:16 AM
The OP is right on target.

+1...

Case in point. I have x6 sets from doing STF's including three complete MK-XII sets.

It was a long grind, but not worth doing them anymore un;ess I am totally and completely bored out of my mind.

I have already Doff'd myself out as well.

I'm only posting in the forum to avoid having to log in and have to play something that will bore me out of my mind.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorrlan
Yeah we could talk about other problems too,but what matters is that everything is popular only if there is incentive to play it
You know what else could make me do PvP?

A Score system.

More maps

More modes...
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
You know what else could make me do PvP?

A Score system.

More maps

More modes...
What would make me do more is a dilithium reward commensurate with an STF and just important less wait in a que.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
What would make me do more is a dilithium reward commensurate with an STF and just important less wait in a que.
True.. But at some point you get more dilithium than you need...
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
True.. But at some point you get more dilithium than you need...
So then you sell it on the Dilithium Exchange for CPs...

There needs to be a steady flow of new products in both the C-store AND the Dilithium Store. That way there is a demand for both currencies, and they will both trade more fluidly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
So then you sell it on the Dilithium Exchange for CPs...

There needs to be a steady flow of new products in both the C-store AND the Dilithium Store. That way there is a demand for both currencies, and they will both trade more fluidly.
I respectfully disagree.