05-12-2012, 03:49 AM
Let the revolution begin!

Like Goz said Rawring doesnít help
Lt. Commander
# 112
05-12-2012, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Before I was given PVP I had other day to day and week to week tasks that filled out my schedule. I had STF's and other stuff. That other stuff is being moved off of my plate to other new content designers. Which by the way is a answer to another question I noticed earlier, the fact that we now have a few more people in the design department is a direct result of PWE. If we didn't have additional staff, this wouldn't be happening.

Oh and for the record... I asked to be given PVP, it wasn't forced on me. I personally think it has a great deal of potential, it just needs attention.
This single line is the most telling of all. Thank you Gozer. You have definitely won me over to your side. Now let's see what can be accomplished.
Lt. Commander
# 113
05-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
SNIP...

Goz
((gets out his seat harness, strapping himself in for the ride and takes a big swig of good old No#7))

Ok, I'm ready... yes that was scary, but man this is going to be a wild ride and I intent to enjoy it.

Just let us know how we can help Gozer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
SNIP...
I'd highly recommend that a test server is made purely for the PvP changes and that all teh major PvP guilds are invited to test the changes 'and' give feedback and advice for improving and making a new system. These changes really can not be made behind closed doors without proper feedback from teh dev's and the PvP community. Lets hope the communication keeps coming.
umm no. Lets just invite ALL the PvP'rs and not get picky there Suricata. While I stop major PVP'ing a while back simply because I did not die unless it was 4-5 on 1, it does not mean I do not go into PVP after each major patch and do some testing.
Lt. Commander
# 114
05-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Hi folks welcome to a new feature - The PVP Weekly Update.

Every Friday before I leave the office for the day Iím going to jump into the PVP forums and give you an update. It may be a small update or it might be a big update. It may be a very simple ďthere is nothing notable to report this week, how is everyone doing?Ē sort of thing. Or, it could be ďhere is a list of big things that are on their way to you on Tribble. Go take a look and tell me what you thinkĒ sort of post.

Whatever it is, itís going to happen every week.

Todayís Topic Ė State of PVP in STO.

Put simply, the current state of PVP in STO = FAIL

I donít think I can be any clearer on this point. You the players donít like it, we the developers donít like it and all the data we pull from the servers backs up the statement as well. Now, we could start discussing why PVP is the way it is. There are lots of reasons, some you as players know and some you donít. Discussing that particular topic wouldnít move us forward, now is not the time to figure out who is to blame for what and why.

It is however time to move forward. The first question we (the developers) had to ask ourselves is can PVP be saved?

I donít use the word ďSavedĒ lightly. I donít mean fixed, updated, or fun. I literally mean saved.

Now, what Iím about to tell you is going to scare a few people, itís going to make some of you angry. Itís not meant to do either of those things, and please donít read into anything I type. Iím not trying to be sarcastic, blame you the players for anything, or infer that the opinions of the players in STO that care about PVP donít matter . I just want to make sure you understand where we are at in this process.

Right now because PVP is in such bad shape that we (the developers) have to decide if we think we can turn this problem around. Participation in PVP related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people that log in to the game and play in any significant way.

SeeÖ I told you.. scary. I know, some of you are reading this and getting angry. I understand but this is simply the bare naked truth.

Cryptic is a business and everything that makes up STO requires resources to develop, implement, and maintain. I think itís pretty obvious that since the launch of STO that PVP has not had a fair share of those resources allocated to it. This fact is the primary reason PVP is in the state that itís currently in.

Something has to be done, PVP cannot stay the way that it is now. We either have to try to save it, or take it out of the game completely. We have to allocate resources in order to save it and thatís where I come into the picture.

Right this moment, Iím the only resource PVP gets. My job is to figure out if I can find a way to improve the entire system in a way that does not impact development of the rest of the game in any significant way. Itís going to be a challenge to put it mildly, but Iím going to try. Iím going to do my best to make PVP a viable STO gameplay feature that appeals to a much larger audience than it does now.

Itís simply going to have to get better and appeal to a much larger group of players on a regular basis if itís going to survive. This also means that many of you are not going to like the changes I am forced to make in order to meet these goals, but before you get too upset at something I change you might want to consider the alternative, which would be no PVP at all.

There are big changes coming to PVP, some I think you are going to like, others no so much because no one likes change. Some are not going to make a whole lot of sense at the time because you wonít be seeing the whole long term plan I have in store for PVP over the course of the next year or so.

As far as these forums go, keep in mind that much of what is bothering you right now at this particular time in the current implementation of the PVP system isnít something Iím really going to get very involved with. Itís all going to have to change, and change in a very big way. Iím not going to spend much time trying to solve an current issue you might have right at this very moment when there is a very high probability that a month or two down the road a large scale change to the PVP system in general is going to solve the issue.

Here is an example..

I see lots of threads about KDF players having access to gear that FED players do not. This isnít going to be a problem in the new system since their will not be any FED vs KDF PVP. All PVP in the new system will be cross faction queues.

More information in next weekís edition..

Have a good weekend.

Goz
Maybe if someone had been paying attention to the state of PvP over the last two years the numbers might not be so low? You have to admit that fault can lie only with the developers on this. It could have been great had it only been given a little TLC.

Please Gozer, don't always opt for whatever is the "quick fix". Sometimes I think that is the mantra for the STO development team. It's going to create more problems for you long term if you don't get your PvP revamp done correctly the first time.

For example, cross faction PvP queuing is not going to be the correct solution to your current console debacle. It may seem like a quick fix but it is not the correct fix you should be seeking. Think of it like this. Do you want a builder constructing your house that always cuts corners? What happens when you hire one that does? Don't be the guy that always cuts corners, Gozer. Set the pace that you want the rest of the STO team to promote.

Worry about tomorrow's problems today.
Lt. Commander
# 115
05-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Challenging and dynamic gameplay is somewhat lacking from other segments of STO (in my opinion). In your attempts to facilitate greater accessibility to PvP for the larger population, how important will it be to create and maintain challenging and dynamic content? While far from perfect at this time, these unique characteristics are what sets PvP apart from anything else STOhas to offer.

While I do admit that I'm uncomfortable with change in general I also recognize that it is necessary especially in light of current conditions. That being said, I'm concerned about any attemp to increase accessibility that brings PvP more in line with PvE (where the numbers are) when all aspects of the game could be improved if PvE was brought more in line with the complexity of PvP. I understand that the numbers seem to favor the rather unimaginative and overly simplistic (in my opinion) PvE model but what do we really gain by turning PvP into more of the same?
Lt. Commander
# 116
05-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Will these changes be introduced in phases? If so, will they be strategically rolled out, so as to not disrupt gameplay while the other changes are still in changes?

For example, if you nuke Carrier pet spam before balancing the pets themselves, Carriers will be shafted. Likewise with Sci and Sci resists (which I feel is going to be the most difficult challenge of all).
Lt. Commander
# 117
05-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Thank you for the blunt, no-nonsense status report Gozer. Please allow me to be equally blunt.

If you have cross-faction teaming for the PvP zones, then what is the point to having two factions? In my assessment, there is none. Therefore the entire logic of the Federation/Klingon conflict from a PvP standpoint is undermined. The implication is a confirmation of what others have observed and speculated for some time... Star Fleet Online.

Secondly, if the fundamental core issues of PvP imbalance are not addressed sternly and aggressively corrected - game systems and power balance, then I respectfully suggest that any "improvements" are completely irreverent.

If you do not feel that you can convince Dan or Al of the seriousness of these issues or if you feel that you will not get support to address these concerns, then I humbly suggest that you follow through with the nuclear option and just end it all.

Perhaps another option will present itself to you. For example, the idea of a Starfleet, Klingon, Cardassian, Romulan, Dominion AND Breen faction play for PvP ONLY along with territory control. Now... that would garner some attention to PvP in my opinion. There are multiple precedents for this design in many, many other Trek games (SFB, SFC, Armada, etc.).

I'm not going to hold out any hope, but I'm morbidly curious as to what the next few months will show. Good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 118
05-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
If the removal of faction to faction PVP is to be removed, I'd propose that they simply end the war between the Feds and KDF and open up all the Fed missions and space to the KDF as well. I'd also open up the KDF as a playable faction from lvl 0 and sort out a tutorial for them. If the dev team does not have the resources to make 2 distinct factiosn, surely it is easier to end the war and develop content that is used by both. PvP would then be just labled as holographic wargames or something. This is all for the changes to make sence storyline wise ofcourse and to actually allow the KDF faction to grow in size, something the lvl 20 unlock does nothing to help!

I like this. Scrap that whole part of the story line. There was great potential in the past to integrate pvp with the story line but it was missed opportunity. Now to get more people playing kdf and or pvping open up the ability for KDF players to join Fed Fleets and visa versa
Lt. Commander
# 119
05-12-2012, 07:52 AM
They should not include "PVP" as a feature in Neverwinter then... Lure people in and play a game and then the developers never change or fix something that could be mavelous.
Lt. Commander
# 120
05-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Well I am glad PVP is now getting the attention deserved, but I must admit I am a bit worried. PVP and the STF's are the only reason I play the game.

It's the only reason I ever buy anything out the C-Store actually. So if it's gone I guess I am too I don't mind changes just as long as there is PVP.

I just feel it was left so long that this problem has effectively caused itself. Which is why PVP is so dismal to begin with.

It is very difficult to play against fleets who are fully kitted out to handle anything and that's the reason why a lot of people don't bother. That's not the fleets faults, it's the players faults for not looking into the Game Mechanics more.

I just find it sad so many people have been put off PVP which was once really really fun in my opinion. I do get a bit disheartened by it's failings.

I'm behind you 100% Gozer, but if it's removed complete there isn't much more to play here with the lack of end-game content.
Closed Thread