Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 171
05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Well yeah, give PvP a big enough carrot and people will queue up, if not because they enjoy PvP then just for the carrot.

STFs have admittedly gotten quite a bit better, but people don't run them hundreds of times out of sheer enjoyment.

If PvP gets to the point where a lot of people use it but don't like it, then things haven't really gotten better.

If PvP gets to the point where it's even more enjoyable, and there is also a carrot, then that would be gravy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 172
05-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribyelruh View Post
Well yeah, give PvP a big enough carrot and people will queue up, if not because they enjoy PvP then just for the carrot.

STFs have admittedly gotten quite a bit better, but people don't run them hundreds of times out of sheer enjoyment.

If PvP gets to the point where a lot of people use it but don't like it, then things haven't really gotten better.

If PvP gets to the point where it's even more enjoyable, and there is also a carrot, then that would be gravy.
That's it. STFs are much more accessible than they originally were which is absolutely great. Unfortunately, they aren't something I particularly enjoy running over and over again. I feel like I need a bumper sticker that says, "I'd rather be PvPing".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 173
05-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I do agree that the the simplest (likely simplest anyways) is just combine it all into one PVP system no "* vs *" just PVP and to have another bit of focus on play types and rewards.

Maybe a have a version on the current STF gear (I say current cuz I know it will change over time) with slighty different skills. This might annoy some people though, so maybe something else but it needs to be something that gets our attention but doesn't cause a rift that PvE players feel like they are being left out.

Also with the PVP system the best way to create fun in my opinion is choice. Give us the ability to have the usual PVP type games like that have been said before in here; Control Points, Kings of the hill, Deathmatch, etc.

Maybe also, though I know this would be a fairly large change and maybe a down the road thing, a custom match system. Give people the control to create the PVP match they want to play. Maybe I wanna play a deathmatch with no respawn. Or maybe I am in the mood for a control point game with only 5 respawns.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 174
05-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
All PVP in the new system will be cross faction queues.
Can anyone explain exactly what that means?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 175
05-12-2012, 04:10 PM
In my opinion PVP in STO is the best pvp, that exists at this time. Only guild wars had a better pvp once.
I think pvp is about team play and communication, knowing about skills and what they are based on, what they can be contered with. All that is given in STO pvp. So please don't give it up.

There are really many people playing pvp, as far as i know. It's just that you need a good team with good communication and good knowleghe of game skills before you can have fun in pvp. That leads to the effect, that there are not many people are playing pvp all the time.
That does not mean, absolutely not, that people does not want it.
pvp is the only thing in STO, that can be a challenge. everything else (including the few elite stf's) is way too easy for good teams. Please don't take away the only challenging content.

Again: I love the pvp in STO how it is right now, especially the fact, that you need a good team to have a chance to win. That is, what it makes pvp interesting.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

There are just a few problems:

1. only 2 pvp variants (i don't mean maps)

2. you can only queue for a 5 s 5 arena match, not for a 2 vs 2 or a 3 vs 3.
Not everybody has a complete pvp team ready every time, he wants to play pvp. Without a complete, doing pvp does not make sense in STO. But in my opinion, this is how it has to be.

3. There are no awards for winning a match. Especially in capture and hold. There is absolutely no motivation for winning that.

4. heal is stacking and healing are t1 and t2 skills, what makes healing the most powerfull skills in pvp.
There is a resi cap, why is there no heal cap?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 176
05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Can anyone explain exactly what that means?
No

FvK
KvK
or
FvF

Just
Arena
Cap and Hold
ect.

Mixed teams
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 177
05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
No

FvK
KvK
or
FvF

Just
Arena
Cap and Hold
ect.

Mixed teams
So PvP will completely ignore the story of the game and the faction you belong to. LOL ok.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 178
05-12-2012, 04:24 PM
i know I'm treading in a bad area here but I'm going to say this, because I feel it should be. IF PVP takes away from the rest of the game the badly needed development money that we seem to have scarce little of, in any way shape or form, it should be scrapped for the better health of a game. The game needs so much more content, 2 full factions, you name it , it needs it. IF as you say it can be scrapped with little notice, then, maybe, it may be a good idea to do that, and devote the money, time and developers into trying to put the game as a whole where it needs to be.

It is interesting that in another thread someone posted that they don't want the minority to 'win" and to "rule" well if we use that metric, PVP, and those that do, are a minority, and as such, shouldn't be listened to. Take that for what it is. This is proof, that PVP is indeed such a small minority, that your entire game play can be scrapped with little notice to the whole of the game.


That said, I know I'll be flamed and trolled en mass for those comments but well it needs to be said. I don't pvp here, because it is so broken, that doesn't mean that I don't want it fixed, because clearly, it needs it. I also want a healthy functional game. a nice shiney PVP system will be useless, if the game as a whole stagnates and dies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 179
05-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
So PvP will completely ignore the story of the game and the faction you belong to. LOL ok.
Or the story will change... frankly a fed v klink war was always a bad idea imo anyway.

Feds and Klinks have been killing borg together for 100,000s of rounds of STFs by now... might as well kiss and make up.

They could always intro a third faction a year or two from now... and reignite the fed klink war... and give us real open PvP. I don't see how that works with out a third faction anyway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 180
05-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribyelruh View Post
Well yeah, give PvP a big enough carrot and people will queue up, if not because they enjoy PvP then just for the carrot.
I really hope not. In my experience, PvP becomes far less fun when some players are there only for the rewards. Players that are just playing for the reward will use any trick they think they can pull off without consequences to increase the "farming" efficiency - including kill trading, throwing the match, leaving the team at the first hint the team will lose, etc.

When it comes to this, if I'm not interested in PvP but the game pushes me towards it by making a must-have reward only obtainable through it, I tend to just leave the game.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 AM.