Lt. Commander
# 241
05-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
LOL good point... yes they did add one...

I to would love to see cap and hold maps... I played a ton of cap and hold at one point... now I can't even stand to que for it anymore.
I'd like to see any maps they add be prototypes for potential Open Sector PvP maps.

For example, they could add a starbase seige map which could be used a template for any PvPing at another Fleet's Starbase.

A Briar Patch PvP match (static no shields) could be used as a potentail map where players hunt and gather resources while scirmishing w/other players.

A raid map could be made as a template for potentially raiding trasnports in and out of Fleet starbases.

The point being make the map designs have the potential of building into something more should their be a demand for it.
Lt. Commander
# 242
05-13-2012, 01:35 PM
This question is a bit off topic, but:
Why is only one person responsible for the 2 most important things in STO?
Lt. Commander
# 243
05-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgai_Spock
This question is a bit off topic, but:
Why is only one person responsible for the 2 most important things in STO?
Well from what I have read Gozer is phasing out of STFs. And well because no one wanted PvP I'm Guessin'.

That said from the way Gozer writes it he asked for PvP. Guessin' the chap likes a challenge.

Further the bloke, who tends to be a touch coy on the forums, actually had the brass cajones to start this thread.

*double chest thump* Keep on Gozer. You are supporting my faith well so far. Respect bruthah!

On an unrelated note, pi has finished a whole bottle of Morgan's Private Stock unto himself and is four sheets to the wind for the experience.

That means take anything I say with a grain of salt laddie.
Lt. Commander
# 244
05-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi gozer
1Person for the only 2 longtime motivation thinks in STO is extrem stupid from your chefs.

First many player play not pvp... its correct... the problem the maps are olny the self... 2 variants to win... no permanent teams...

more gamemechanics and maps vor pvp = more player for pvp....

i am a pvp player normal... i play not pvp in the moment... i can not see more the maps... this sucks...
Lt. Commander
# 245
05-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
Goodluck Gozer, it probably wont be easy balancing PvP with all those pets, that creates a lot of variables to account for but I wish you luck!

By the way for Kerrat, I recommend removing the "faction" side by side thing and turning it into an even split randomized game every time it resets~

and I still think honor guard/maco sets should be everyone specific XP The "faction only" idea only begs for unbalance.

Edit: PS: Removing PvP from an MMO would be a really crazy step, just saying I have NEVER once played an mmorpg that didn't have PvP. And I've played a lot of them. You'd have to be completely out of touch to think "PvP wouldn't have that huge of impact on a game." Players that have played every PvE ellement of the game, USUALLY either 1. Quit, or 2. Move to PvP

Now ask yourself, would you rather players play someone elses MMO, or yours?

Also, I find all of these threats/defensive statements made by Devs/Moderators/Staff really quite unprofessional, I would recommend PR training. <-- Constructive Criticism, if you don't believe me? Just review your own staff.
I agree with the above post^^ especially about the last part. Deflecting all possible criticism by assuming everyone will be hostile is deplorable.

Star Trek Online without PVP would ultimately be a cop-out. Presenting the possibility that could happen on the count of a failure on one person's end would be a hilarious joke to be documented in the history of Star Trek Online's wiki. One could be absolutely certain that the community would be upset with such a statement and anyone would have every right to be upset such was even said; most especially by a Staff member.

If Cryptic/Perfect World are the frame/body and players are the life-blood what purpose would one harming the other serve? None.

I wish for the best but honestly; can the player base not be looked down as lower life forms just because it upsets some Cryptic staff that their reception is not always met with 100% and utter worship? People pay money for virtual services; support the game and presumably like to be content. If it upsets a chunk of us about the possibility of PVP being taken out; shouldn't that tell you something? Shouldn't that tell you such a comment is counter productive if you know the reaction won't be pleasant?

IF every effort is made to make PVP better then I can salute that. I just can not ever accept the possibility of a MMORPG being WITHOUT PVP entirely. That constitutes desire for failure IMHO like showing up to work and not working for the money but working because you want to get out of it.
Lt. Commander
# 246
05-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I think the crossfaction bit is a good idea. I also think you need to have exactly 2 queue types... fully premade and fully random pug. Getting a 3+/5 premade vs totally random group is likely to be a slaughterfest and make it less for for the people that might just be dipping their toes.

If you want to encourage people to try out PvP (and it seems you do) then there needs to be a reason for it. Forget the mundane dillithium rewards... I'd suggest something like Karma.

As you win, you gain Karma. You even gain Karma if you lose (but less) When doing PvE rewards, if a reward roll is < X% away from getting the "best" roll, Karma bridges the gap and gets decremented based on how much it had to help out.

Example: Creating an MK XII console. If you were 2% away form the roll to get a Purple, and had sufficient Karma, then you GET the purple and Karma gets docked (and will need to be built back up.)

Example2: MK XII Shield/Engine/Deflector tech.

Make it so that various Karma threshholds can scale the gap in larger increments, but if successful will dock greater Karma value. Maybe up to 10% at the top end. Ideally a way to turn on/off the Karma boost for any given action so that you don't "waste" it on DOFF XP rewards, etc.

Doing something like this would make it so that even dedicated PvEers may want to give it a shot to increase their chances at the good gear, and if they still get something out of it even if they're being massacred, they might stick around long enough to get competant.
Lt. Commander
# 247
05-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
I think the crossfaction bit is a good idea. I also think you need to have exactly 2 queue types... fully premade and fully random pug. Getting a 3+/5 premade vs totally random group is likely to be a slaughterfest and make it less for for the people that might just be dipping their toes.
You still only need one que type.

This is work for the game engine in the background....

If 20 people are qued... it should prioritze games with teams vs teams...

Meaning if 20 que and
1 full team of 5 is qued
1 group of 3
1 group of 2
and 10 randoms....

2 games start...
1 with Full group vs.... the grouped 3 and 2 teamed...
1 game full random pug match.

This is work that needs to be put in on the programming end... and perhaps Gozer could request just such a mechanic be added when he requests the overhaul of the que system.

With some luck and a few nice tweeks... I think we could look forward to Sat Afternoons iwth 40-50 people in the que... and if its done right... very few games could end up being Full on Premade vs Pug Slaughters... it would be more fun for all if they can make it work.....

AND VERY VERY GOOD TECH TO ADD TO ANY FUTURE CRYPTIC PRODUCTS. lol
Lt. Commander
# 248
05-13-2012, 02:46 PM
hidden hazards, and anamolous galactic occurances due to too much of GW/TR/Trics/etc maybe splitting a PvP match into 2 sub PvP matches maybe 2 v 3 or something.
Lt. Commander
# 249
05-13-2012, 02:55 PM
If pvp were to be taken out of this game I would probably significantly lower my play time. It's the only thing left as a challenge to me. I have conqured everything else. It's a challenge. I am an above average player but there are better players out there than me and that's where the challenge is. The only challenge left in this game to me.
Lt. Commander
# 250
05-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I thought Perfect World was really big on PvP and wanted it to be a major part of STO.
Closed Thread