Lt. Commander
# 261
05-13-2012, 10:19 PM
I am glad that this aspect of STO is getting some much needed attention.

I would suggest new maps, open pvp zones, and leaderboards, and especially a pvp rewards system.

PvP is the primary reason I log on to STO and I'd love to see some improvements which would hopefully lead to more people participating.
Lt. Commander
# 262
05-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Coming from a non-PVP'er this is actually pretty cool to see some action. I am intrigued on how drastically its going to change.

Some things that makes PVP uninteresting for me is ....
  • Queues
  • Instances from the rest of the game world.
  • The feeling that its a boxing match in a ring with no real purpose.
Lt. Commander
# 263
05-14-2012, 12:23 AM
To make pvp fun some variables on a larger scale needs to be implemented. Now, everything is constant (except those phaser procs and viral matrix). Make a map with random subspace fields that teleports vessels 50 km from current location, ie) Imagine vortex thats caught team healer. That would be chase! So many great stuff can be implemented. Why not use that pve map where your impulse enignes are disabled? etc etc
Lt. Commander
# 264 PVP is the ENDGAME in all GAMES
05-14-2012, 12:26 AM
PVP is the end game in all MMO games! EVE online is the only and best example of a long term successful space game and many of its successful traits needs to be adopted to STO one of which is the PVP system. The open PVP system with a cool realistic police force that governs where open PVP can take place is the best and most realistic system I have ever seen, queues suck and are old noob tools. EVE online's space mechanics, player owned space stations and space sovereignty, player respawn explained with ingame cloning systems, a insurance system to explain ship replacements along side of NPC/story controlled area's is awesome and all stuff this game needs to implement. EVE online has 9 years of development and over 400k player subs that has grown every year. But EVE online lacks some VERY important content that has always annoyed players like me, with no avatar, no planetside operations, no internal ship interactions, no space station interactions, just a cool looking ship with cool weapons and awesome space mechanics for space missions/pve/pvp. SO you see everything that eve lacks STO HAS! All you need to do is merge the 2 things that work great in both games and you will have the best sci fi MMO ever made. You need to make it have more of a sandbox for the max level players and that is player owned space, space stations and open solo PVP/FLEET PVP. The star trek canon should be there for new players to use to get the story, learn the game mechanics and systems, and for players to do cool new missions and get new powerful npc rewareded items. From there players should be able to get out of the npc governed space (like maybe in the clusters or something like that) and make it them selves in unsafe space where big rewarded and big money reside just like eve players do in low sec space. Owning there own space stations, mining, exploring, crafting/selling, and PVPING! You need to have area's of space that are always open to any pvp that wants to happen there much like Ker'rat but even if friendlies want to attack each other they should be able to, true open pvp in not FED policed zones , and more systems where you just go there looking for expensive loot and npcs to loot for items but take a chance of being attacked at any time by any one because it is in newly or unexplored space which is where the old canon should end and the sand box begin writing new chapters for the new canon as they happen. STO could be something that eve online could never be. I know a lot of eve players that are looking at this game as a good alternative because of all the features eve is lacking that this game has had since its launch if it only grows a sand box for the max level players to move to opening up the much needed ENDGAME. Also you need to get ride of instances upgrade the servers if you have to but it is much more realistic and has a much more open player friendly feel with every one always on the same server and same instance, look into time dilation as a solution to lag issues not instances.
Lt. Commander
# 265
05-14-2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechx
PVP is(/snip wall of text)ances.
but EVE is basically a PvP game. STO focuses on, and makes a living from, casual players.

for gods sake, STO players take offence to someone swinging a whip in a social area.... imagine if they would fly into the wrong part of the game and get blown up! instant /endsubscription
Lt. Commander
# 266
05-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alendiak
Some suggestions:-
1: Rewards
a) Give XP, Miltary CXP (say about 50-100) and EC (about 10,000 and VA) rewards for destruction of player ships.
b) Similarly give XP and Engineering and medical CXP (10-30) for repairing a damaged friendly ship. Maybe with an accolade thrown in.
c) Whilst I believe both teams should get the normal mission rewards at the end of the match, the victors should get much much more then the losers.
d) Special PvP only rewards, perhaps opened by the PvP accolades.

2: More Maps
To be frightfully honest, I am really really bored playing the same set of space maps.

3: Ability to kick AFKers
Seriously, these are a menace. Since Kerrat became a daily, the gold miners have took to the PvP queues leeching off their team. I've actually felt like asking asking everyone to warp out and continue the match as a private challenge, just so that AFKer won't get any credit.

Perhaps after 5 kicks give them a PvP ban for 1 day.

4: Seperate queues for premades or at the very least a system that prefers to put two premades together, rather then a premade Vs pug match.
I really like this ideas and I supported them in other threads. Especially the afk-ers and premade options. I would personally be to keep factional pvp, but if for the beginning this may be hard/not feasible, I would also keep an open mind in designing the teaming system to be able to handle factional teaming should the need arise. Whoever chooses to have a factional game could do it through opvp.
Lt. Commander
# 267
05-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Geko All I can say is, " Can you save PvP?"

I used to say STO made PvP accessible to the casual player with only a minimum of learning needed.
That is a belief I still have faith in, but without meaningful PvP that has goals and challenges, without balanced PvP mechanics and the like, will PvP hold interest for the playerbase?

It seems to my limited view that STO is currently more about living the Star Trek fantasy for the playerbase, a cathardic immersion into a facimile of the IP that allows a fan to feel like they are make-pretending in Star Trek as oppossed to playing in the Star Trek setting Cryptic has created and have no interest in the story or conflict created.
This lack of interest in conflict in the story is part of the issue. Thier are no goals to reach for, no challenges to overcome. We have a story that shows the quadrant in war with each other at the conniving of the Undine and yet we ignore it and are forced together in peace to overcome the Borg?? That doesn't make any sense.
I believe that the mechanics of PvP can be fixed and balanced to everyones enjoyment but in order for PvP to make sense, the story overall needs to make sense. Otherwise why are we fighting?
Lt. Commander
# 268
05-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkhogan.ita View Post
2) Make or plan to introduce some PVE content just *impossible* to do without the new bonuses that PvPing will give you.
Hmm...

Trying to "force" people who don't like PVP into doing it simply so they can do a mission isn't going to be well for the game. Gozer could send me a check for $100 each week and I still wouldn't PVP... for some people there's simply nothing that will make them participate in it. I PVPd enough to get all the PVP related accolades and I simply hated the fact it was either super easy or impossible. Toss in the "normal" level of ego, chest beating and temper tantrums I have no desire to revisit that style of play and I can't see anything they can do to change the fundamental culture and experience of what PVP is.

I have to believe the "reach a broader scope of players" comment implies trying to reach out to players who are enjoying other PVP oriented games and try to get them into STO. There's really no point in trying to reach out to most of the non-PVPers in STO now... it's either something you enjoy or don't. If they want to grow PVP, reach out to people who enjoy PVP that aren't playing the game rather than try to coerce the existing casual, PVE oriented players into PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 269
05-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
Hmm...
Trying to "force" people who don't like PVP into doing it simply so they can do a mission isn't going to be well for the game.
Sort of like how pvp'ers now are forced to play pve for basically everything they might possibly want to obtain in game?
Lt. Commander
# 270
05-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Coming from a non-PVP'er this is actually pretty cool to see some action. I am intrigued on how drastically its going to change. Some things that makes PVP uninteresting for me is ....
  • Queues
  • Instances from the rest of the game world.
  • The feeling that its a boxing match in a ring with no real purpose.
That's a list of thing pvp'ers themselves would like to see improved as well frend.

*-Q's- they've worked on 'em in the past, they were very effective-even test versions on Tribble. And that's (as it seems) one of the 1st things on the Goz's list
*- Instances from the rest of the game - due to the nature of sector space, and it's been said before, pvp will probably remain instanced to a great degree
* - Boxing matches w/no purpose - leaderboards as well as official tourneys would go a long way to change that. But as far as actual effects in-game, there's a way to kind of blend points 2 & 3.

More maps? There's already TONS of PVE maps. Utilize those, instead of having to have a mission to zone into a system- 'sticky' a permanent PVP version of that instance map to the game. It'll have to read *lima charlie *entering a PVP zone*, but if you let people duke it out over said map, then whichever faction 'controls' that map, the PVE missons give improved rewards for that faction until the next battle... that'd be swell. And a great way to bridge the gap between PVE'ers and PVP'ers.

You could implement objectives from certain PVE maps into PVP- I always thought the Ground map from 'Cutting the Chord" would make a great objective-based PVP map. Call down orbital strike to smash your opponents? O helz yeah?!?

Of course warzones like these would have to be timed, once every hour / 2 hours / whatever, and would probably have to take place in a select few sectors for a number of reasons. But, there's all sorts of time-gated PVE missions in rotation on the in-game Mission Journal (w/e it's called) you could add them to that, keep players posted.

Y'know how the Borg roam around and you get a "Red Alert' And have the option to zone-in to fight them? That'd transition into a great PVP type mission, for more casual players. Kinda like a roaming Ker'rat or something, but a unique map for each sector. Battle over DS9 anyone?

There's been tons of great ideas already from PVP'ers on how to improve the system, a long time running. It's interesting to see non-PVP'ers concerns coincide with PVP'ers...
Closed Thread