Lt. Commander
# 301
05-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Unless balance in the game's mechanics are restored, any change to PvP will just be lip service made to try to whet our appetites.

Pet Spam = high
Mine Spam = insanely high
Broken Abilities = too numerous to mention
New +1 Consoles = Do you guys even *think* about how these destroy PvP, or are you all "Oooo! Shiny!" like the PvE community?!?

Yeah, new maps and new queues are nice, but until the above is overhauled, PvP will dwindle even further.
Lt. Commander
# 302 Sticky This!
05-15-2012, 01:25 AM
STICKY THIS. THAT IS ALL.

:p
Lt. Commander
# 303
05-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothnang
*snip*.
WHoa!
Faithborn, Rothnang... Will Edgecase, BigRedJedi and Beagles also be back? Or snix?

Mustrum "Blast from the Past" Ridcully
Lt. Commander
# 304
05-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
There are a lot of balance concerns but your statement, while true for some, is absolutely incorrect for others. Some veteran players have figured out how to win without exploiting imbalances. Sometimes people lose because they aren't very experienced and sometimes they lose because they just aren't very good. Not every new player who loses, lost because they got cheated.
Absolutely, there are those of us who question the attacker when we are killed, there are many of us who will gladly respond with advice on build to a player from either faction, I do this just as I was helped by players such as Yoda and Logan Williams. I now have a great understanding of build and help my fleet mates to understand the mechanics of STO as best I can. Prior to these insights I thought some players must be cheating with their godlike powers, now I can easily see they are not.

What would help though would be a change in attitude of some of the players in PvP, especially Kerrat. The same old rhetoric is heard again and again, unfortunately mostly from the same two or three Klinks - yes, you know who you are. These bully boy tactics are the exact opposite of the gentlemanly manner that STO fans usually should and do conduct themselves. Just because you play a violent war obsessed species doesn't mean you have to actually be that way as a person. What is honourable about slagging off a player that may be trying really hard, or continually abusing Feds because they are seen as crap players. Anyone entering Kerrat for the first time, especially youngsters, may find this quite demotivating and just choose not to go back in.

As for balance, yes some things appear a little one sided but it's possible to balance things back if you know what you are doing, eg i balance Plasmonic leech by using two copies of energy siphon and polaron weapons, reckon I get back more than I lose. There are some consoles that seem ridiculous however, the Isometric charge is capable of delivering a 200K crit and a 50K hit, I have had my Atrox one shotted from a little tiny BoP with these things and that does suck because there is no defence against that.

So I'm all for a revamp of PvP, but take it out Gozer and to be honest I don't think there will be enough to keep me logging in very often, I was about to buy a Lifetime membership which I have now put on hold, so thanks for the heads up.

Also Gozer bare in mind that most of the consoles from C Store ships are bought by players in Kerrat, I got the Guramba for my son the other day, first thing we did was buy the Vandal Destroyer in order to get the plasmonic leech console, so there's an additional 800 C points on top of the Guramba. If all we are ever going to face are NPCs then every free ship in the game would be sufficient. Our fleet often finishes EliteSTFs on tier two ships for a laugh, it take longer but it can be done. There is not a single mission in this game that requires a C Store ship. Many people buy them to be competitive with other players not mindless NPCs.

Remove PvP, you will remove a hugely disproportionate amount of revenue to Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 305
05-15-2012, 01:58 AM
The above summed up: People buy Cstore items and ships, grind, and play after they reached VA in order to show off what they have in PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 306
05-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
WHoa!
Faithborn, Rothnang... Will Edgecase, BigRedJedi and Beagles also be back? Or snix?

Mustrum "Blast from the Past" Ridcully
Well, I saw an article on the escapist that said the STO devs finally admitted that their PvP sucks, and ... well ... I really can't resist a "told you so"

I would LOVE STO to live up to its potential, and I was incredibly disappointed that it wasn't a game I really enjoyed. Maybe there is some hope if they finally take "tall ship combat" seriously, and stop with this Age of Conan at launch day in space crap.
Lt. Commander
# 307
05-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothnang
Well, I saw an article on the escapist that said the STO devs finally admitted that their PvP sucks, and ... well ... I really can't resist a "told you so"

I would LOVE STO to live up to its potential, and I was incredibly disappointed that it wasn't a game I really enjoyed. Maybe there is some hope if they finally take "tall ship combat" seriously, and stop with this Age of Conan at launch day in space crap.
I still don't believe you're get your wish in terms of mechanics, though, but it's nice to see some old faces again sometimes.

Currently I think that it's more important for Cryptic to add good incentives for PvP. Only then does it even make sense bothering with the mechanics, and I don't see the game to be fundamentally changed to a less "flashy" game. Balancing stuff better, and maybe even reducing the power of buffs and debuffs... But all that is pointless if there is no reason to PvP for most players. And I am not worried about the potential that they make PvP "grindy": They can't really. PvP in its current state is already grind, but with no rewards. None of the hardcore PvPers that are still playing will be hurt by adding an EDC equivalent drop to each PvP match and needing 5,000 of them to afford the entire Mark XII PvP Set. At least not if winning gives you a guarantee to earn more than losing.....
Lt. Commander
# 308
05-15-2012, 04:33 AM
As soon as you wrote that you are dumping faction vs faction based PvP, I stopped reading.

There is not a single successful MMO on the market that does not have it, period.
Lt. Commander
# 309
05-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedicabo-ego-vos
As soon as you wrote that you are dumping faction vs faction based PvP, I stopped reading.

There is not a single successful MMO on the market that does not have it, period.
What's a succesful MMO? Champions Online (also Cryptic) is still around, it doesn't even have factions. But it has PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 310
05-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedicabo-ego-vos

FFXI didn't have PvP at all, last time I checked; aside from some sport nobody ever played anyway. Sure, it isn't in WoW's league, but it's done fairly well for itself over the years.
Closed Thread