Lt. Commander
# 351
05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Just had more thoughts on what else could be done to get more casual gamers (most of playerbase) into PVP.
Most Trekkie casual gamers are playing premade races that are probably evenly specced for space and ground, while most leet pvpers make characters only for space or ground PVP and are aliens so they can pick all their traits. Now aliens don't really need to be nerfed, but premade races do need to be beefed up so as to encourage people playing premade races into pvp. Maybe all premade races should receive an additional trait they can pick, so if u want to play an alien u can pick all traits but won't have as many as a premade race. Also the amount of skill points needs to be increased so u can put the max amount allowed into ground and space, correct me if I am wrong, but the cap is 100k for ground and round 300k for space? we should have enough skill points to put that many into both. Casual gamers don't want to make separate ground and space PVP toons. Captain Kirk kicks a** on ground and space as a premade race, why can't we.

Besides it will also make STO look more like Star Trek instead of Star Wars if we start seeing more cannon races and not so many stupid looking made up alien races. Made up aliens were a horrible idea to begin with, but I guess we can't just get rid of them now since they are already here.
Lt. Commander
# 352
05-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219
Just had more thoughts on what else could be done to get more casual gamers (most of playerbase) into PVP.
Most Trekkie casual gamers are playing premade races that are probably evenly specced for space and ground, while most leet pvpers make characters only for space or ground PVP and are aliens so they can pick all their traits. Now aliens don't really need to be nerfed, but premade races do need to be beefed up so as to encourage people playing premade races into pvp. Maybe all premade races should receive an additional trait they can pick, so if u want to play an alien u can pick all traits but won't have as many as a premade race. Also the amount of skill points needs to be increased so u can put the max amount allowed into ground and space, correct me if I am wrong, but the cap is 100k for ground and round 300k for space? we should have enough skill points to put that many into both. Casual gamers don't want to make separate ground and space PVP toons. Captain Kirk kicks a** on ground and space as a premade race, why can't we.
I disagree. I do not, have not ever specced all ground or all space. I like the current split and skill point total and do not want to see extra traits added to certain races that will make all OCD players with aliens have to start over just to get that extra.

I have no problems in space or on ground. The real need is for retraiting, and that is on the agenda.

Really the benefit of all 4 traits vs splitting 2 space 2 ground is very minimal anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 353
05-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Aliens won't have to start over, they would still have 4 traits of their choice, while premades would still mostly be stuck with traits that aren't all that useful except for their 1 new trait. But if they do that they can give everyone a free reroll token or something.

Most people do seem to choose all their traits and skills for space or ground only besides you and me though.

What do you mean by retraiting, could you clarify?
Lt. Commander
# 354
05-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Cryptic,

The issue is simple, I know it seems complex, but it is really simple. Make more factions!

This should be the main focus of the game. It will take the PVP from the bottom, to the top of STO. What's wrong with PvP is it is sooo boring playing in faction, or against the one and only other playable faction. There needs to be a third faction, more the better.

I won't continue to try and convince you, as alluded to before, people either get it, or they don't. I hope one day Cryptic will "see the light" and realize that more factions, although less developed, has been the key to their problems all along.
Lt. Commander
# 355
05-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219
Most Trekkie casual gamers are playing premade races that are probably evenly specced for space and ground, while most leet pvpers make characters only for space or ground PVP and are aliens so they can pick all their traits. Now aliens don't really need to be nerfed, but premade races do need to be beefed up so as to encourage people playing premade races into pvp. Maybe all premade races should receive an additional trait they can pick, so if u want to play an alien u can pick all traits but won't have as many as a premade race. Also the amount of skill points needs to be increased so u can put the max amount allowed into ground and space, correct me if I am wrong, but the cap is 100k for ground and round 300k for space? we should have enough, skill points to put that many into both. Casual gamers don't want to make separate ground and space PVP toons. Captain Kirk kicks a** on ground and space as a premade race, why can't we.

Besides it will also make STO look more like Star Trek instead of Star Wars if we start seeing more cannon races and not so many stupid looking made up alien races. Made up aliens were a horrible idea to begin with, but I guess we can't just get rid of them now since they are already here.
I disagree with alien race vs premade races as you name them. When you choose an alien you definitely move some traits more or less toward space or ground. You make a choice. Just because I choose to be "all space" or "all ground" shouldn't put somebody that chooses a premade race to an advantage. I choose 4 personal abilities, races already have 2 predefined and 2 that can be chosen. So why an advantage to the premade with having more than 5 abilities? An all space tune will have a disadvantage on ground, that a premade won't.

In regards to skill tree, I always said we should have 2 independent skill trees. One for space, one for ground, and I agree with you.
Lt. Commander
# 356
05-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Now that i think about it more i agree, just fixing skill points so we can put the cap in space and ground would probably be all thats necessary.
Lt. Commander
# 357
05-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I like you dan you seem like a nice guy.

Why does no one pvp in sto anymore its a simple one to answer really.

Cause nothing new for 2 and a bit years is not really going to bring the punters in.

I hated solar wind when it was released and i still hate it 2 years on

Things we need

1st...

put in the game the challenge system from champions .

more maps this is another simple one i am talking about 5 -7 new space maps and the same for ground

3. New games

loose capture and hold or at least make it interesting faster and more action packed

how about a shuttle race map like that episode of voyager season 6-7 i bet that one would be packed alot

4....OPEN PVP

5. Territory PVP ........
now i know this one is a no for most people but i was playing a xbox game the other day and it has territory pvp in and my friends didnt know it was pvp they were spending hours doing it becoms addictive to a player taking a planet from say the klingons or the borg where the aim is king of the hill hell even the temple map with romulans would be epic.

pvp on andoria ground awesome

There are alot of players i know who are playing SWTOR and ar fed up of its crappy pvp system and want to come back to STO
Lt. Commander
# 358
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
One thing this game s severely lacking in is the little guy vs the big buy. We saw this in Star Trek: TNG with the combat exercise between the Enterprise D and the Hathaway. The Hathaway was a stripped down, barely functional mess, but because of the innovative strategy of the crew they were able to hold their own against the Enterprise. That type of mis-matched strategy driven combat game play is completely non-existent in this game and is something that could really lend itself well to PVP.

maybe tier 1 and tier 2 grouped pvp

teir 3 and 4 grouped pvp

Tier 5 and tier 6 (when tier 6 comes out) pvp

And mixed tier pvp

So many people have asked for more use of the lower tier ships that this could be a great way to incorporate that and it might give pvp a huge boost in players because of it.
Lt. Commander
# 359
05-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Further thought: When keeping track of people's scores, and trying to line up an even(ish) match, if unable to do so, then apply a Handicap.

You could either beef up the deficient team's weapons by an amount to scales based on the deficit, or do the inverse and decrease the amount of damage, etc, that the better team has.

Probably the easiest way to accomplish the goal is a scaling percentage bonus/penalty to all skills. So, if one team dramatically outclasses the opposition, apply a -25% Handicap Skill Bonus, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 360
05-18-2012, 12:48 PM
One thing you should do is look at games that are nothing but PvP. Call of Duty online comes to mind. All the diffrent PVP modes, capture the flag, headquarters, death match team death match, etc. Thats what this game needs. Also the pace of those games is fast, so fast it gets you adrenaline pumping, which helps to increase the excitement.

Thats just my 2 cents, I have tried PvP serval times, but could never get into it.
Closed Thread