Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
don't see it panning out. Wouldn't CBS try to sue at some point. Cause it's ripping off a ship design.
Oh don't be silly. Of course it's not going to "pan out". The dude doesn't expect anyone to really build it. The project is a statement, not a proposal. He's an engineer (who happens to be a trekkie) trying to demonstrate what's possible. Nothing more. He's using modern engineering techniques to show that it can be done. That's what's exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Reminds me of the scene in Galaxy Quest where the kid/fan is confronted with the fact that 'Its just a tv show'
Don't confuse whimsey with stupidity.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
don't see it panning out. Wouldn't CBS try to sue at some point. Cause it's ripping off a ship design.
No.

Part of Roddenberrys contract stated that should anyone ever develop the technologies they can use the names and physical designs freely.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-13-2012, 08:53 PM
They have got to build this. It would totally get people excited about space exploration again.

It should be an international effort, though. So "USS" might not be the best prefix to use.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
They have got to build this. It would totally get people excited about space exploration again.

It should be an international effort, though. So "USS" might not be the best prefix to use.
We can still use 'NCC' though. Bt for the ship name we'd probably would have to use a prefix like 'ISS' International Star Ship.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektre12

We can still use 'NCC' though. Bt for the ship name we'd probably would have to use a prefix like 'ISS' International Star Ship.
I see what you did there...:p

but this is interesting beyond belief. I've always known that we would reach this point, just never imagined it would be so soon...
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektre12

Very funny. :p

Maybe IES - International Earth Ship.

Registry would be DSV-01 (Deep Space Vehicle 01)
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk91 View Post
I see what you did there...:p

but this is interesting beyond belief. I've always known that we would reach this point, just never imagined it would be so soon...
What we can't have an Globe & Sword logo either :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Anti-matter fueled rocket could approach light speed

Quote:
A rocket ship, powered by smashing lumps of matter and antimatter together, could zip through space at about 70 percent the speed of light, according to a new study.

When traveling in such an antimatter-powered rocket ship, a trip from Earth to its closest stellar neighbor, Proxima Centauri, would take about 6 years, as it is located 4.2 light years away.

But before astronauts pack their bags for the voyage, one problem needs to be overcome: antimatter is in limited supply.
Come on, earthlings. Let's make it happen!
Lt. Commander
# 19 Can she be built?
05-15-2012, 05:41 AM
I found this article today that was rather impressive. I thought I would share the link and get what others thought.

The link within the article was supposes to take you to the engineers website, but I couldnt get it to load.
Lt. Commander