Lt. Commander
# 21
05-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
My bad, please disregard.
Lt. Commander
http://news.yahoo.com/ambitious-plan...074000244.html

As a Trek fan, it would be pretty awesome if he could pull it off and in a way she would be refitable. Though it might be a little bit expensive for fans to visit her.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
You may have missed this thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=270238

And a few others.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-17-2012, 03:55 PM
This is what I say, build a fullsize replica interior and exterior and have it as a tourist trap. Theres people in vegas having star trek weddings so why not do something like this. Down side is though which USS Enterprise to build. The NX would take up a lot less room being such a small ship, but the Constitution isnt much bigger just slightly bigger than a 1,000 foot long aircraft carrier.

A way to pay for it would be rent the crew quarters as staterooms for people to stay in like a hotel.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Hey, where's the Kickstarter page for this?
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Hey, where's the Kickstarter page for this?
What do you mean by "kickstarter"?
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-17-2012, 08:45 PM
And yet the Constitution class is actually structurally terrible, so spread out that any maneuvering would inflict huge stresses on the neck and nacelle pylons. Now if they were serious they'd try and build a Nebula.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaMala View Post
And yet the Constitution class is actually structurally terrible, so spread out that any maneuvering would inflict huge stresses on the neck and nacelle pylons. Now if they were serious they'd try and build a Nebula.
Well, obviously they'd have to make the neck and nacelle struts thicker. Nobody says this ship has to be a perfect recreation of the classic Enterprises.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Well, obviously they'd have to make the neck and nacelle struts thicker. Nobody says this ship has to be a perfect recreation of the classic Enterprises.
This one wouldnt be, I been reviewing the guys website and his enterprise would be built on a far larger scale. It would be 3,150 feet in length. The orignal Enterprise was 948 feet roughly, just shy of the length of a CVN aircraft carrier.

This guy has a good idea, but I dont see where having three nuclear reactors, two of which were back ups, and have a huge gravity ring that spins inside the saucer section of the hull to provide 1G worth of gravity is a good idea. Sounds like too many things that could go wrong. I am a little bit curious how a nuclear reactor would operate in zero gravity, considering it turns water to steam to generate electrical energy. Maybe it would work more efficenctly, or maybe it wouldnt work at all considering liquids in zero gravity form spherical globs.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milner62
This one wouldnt be, I been reviewing the guys website and his enterprise would be built on a far larger scale. It would be 3,150 feet in length. The orignal Enterprise was 948 feet roughly, just shy of the length of a CVN aircraft carrier.

This guy has a good idea, but I dont see where having three nuclear reactors, two of which were back ups, and have a huge gravity ring that spins inside the saucer section of the hull to provide 1G worth of gravity is a good idea. Sounds like too many things that could go wrong. I am a little bit curious how a nuclear reactor would operate in zero gravity, considering it turns water to steam to generate electrical energy. Maybe it would work more efficenctly, or maybe it wouldnt work at all considering liquids in zero gravity form spherical globs.
According to the Schedule on the site, about nine years of the twenty-year construction period consists of R&D. Presumably that includes perfecting the ship's safety features.

And the reason this ship is so big is because the gravity ring in the saucer has to move quickly enough to produce 1G gravity, yet slow enough that the people inside don't get motion sickness. So a big ring is the best way to go.