Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-12-2012, 04:51 AM
honestly i think they will see increasingly higher diminishing returns on lockboxes. The more you milk your customers for everything they have the less likely they are to spend anything when they do have it. Notice how there is significatly less messages for d'kora then there was for galors?

This is why i said long term profits are greater then short term. Long term you make more profit and the game remains healthy and stays alive longer leading to more profit. Short term cash grab makes you lots of money fast then burns out, you have to then develope new schems, they then burn out, by the 3rd-4th time its the boy who cried wolf and people are totally unwilling to do anything. Profits then cease, the game is then by that point already in an unhealthy way, so the game folds and then they have to spend all those quickly made profits to develope a completely new game.

Every time someone says hey all that money being made is good for the game! Really? Wheres the good? Time gated content? Theres a reason its called profit, they dont take everything we spend and reinvest it into the game, only a porition does. Most game developers make a game then use minimal amounts of capital to bank roll new content for that game, rest goes to profit/next game being made.

Bioware/Blizzard spend prolly more then anyone else to develope new content for their mmo's. Cryptic doesnt have the staff, the money, or the capability to do that. But hey im sure they will say they are getting record profits while at the sametime saying that FE are to expensive and they cant afford it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes-Fist-At-Sky
If people aren't spending money then why am I seeing so many Atrox carriers, D'Koras and Odys flying around. All of those cost real money.

^^And that begs the question if people are indeed spending money on the game and they are making money on all this stuff why is some of it not being invested back into the game.........why does the game continue to stagnate in old content and grind missions and never ending promises.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Lets not talk "end game" lets talk "Commercial break" because thats what this is
a commercial break between parts 1 and 2 of an episode
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox-XL5
^^And that begs the question if people are indeed spending money on the game and they are making money on all this stuff why is some of it not being invested back into the game.........why does the game continue to stagnate in old content and grind missions and never ending promises.
dstahl said they have pretty much doubled their content team. it is being invested back into the game by hiring new people. those people are being hired off of the money from lock boxes, pw or both. how is that not investing in the game?

lock boxes make them money - they hire more people - they train those people - new people make more content.

all of that takes time. the process of business and game development is slower than you would like. the game is not stagnating just because there is a gap between season 5 and 6. there is always a gap between seasons. happens every time. large features do not trickle out as they are made. they are released in one hit. often with the merges in code branches. thats just the reality of the development cycle.

whole of season six, from pvp, the foundry, fleet starases, 5 man content is all about endgame.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Lets not talk "end game" lets talk "Commercial break" because thats what this is
a commercial break between parts 1 and 2 of an episode
Not really, because they're seriously considering stopping making episodes because it's too expensive. So then what does it become? Nothing but a commercial break selling their lockbox and lobi wares? Sounds about right...
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes-Fist-At-Sky
If people aren't spending money then why am I seeing so many Atrox carriers, D'Koras and Odys flying around. All of those cost real money.
Seeing so many, doesn't mean people are spending real money. Some of these may be stipend from Lifers who already paid upfront, or could be from Dil farming.

Even then in the scheme of things, how many are you actually seeing? 10-20-100-1000-10000? Is it enough to keep the staff? Enough to develop new content?

Why are they now asking what we think about lockboxes, if they are making money on them? Surely their "metrics" would tell them that people are buying/not buying?

Dad...
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Didnt they blow the next years content budget on voice actors in the recent jemhadar episodes.

I seriously doubt we'll see any endgame content meaningful or otherwise. The current push seems to be adding gear so the current stf grinders get new shinies to grind the same stf's for. I'm just waiting for those to enter the gating lottery alongside the vault etc.

Although they might just decide to disband the klingon faction first as according to (at least) one dev noone plays as kdf. Would be the perfect opportunity to introduce the romulan faction with grand promises only to not deliver on those either.

I take my hat off to those with the time, patience and ability to produce some of those foundry missions, IF the devs truly respect you and your work they'll do more than just add a tips button to your missions. Although for some foundry authors they probably hate you for producing great content in your spare time and putting their own efforts to shame.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
Not really, because they're seriously considering stopping making episodes because it's too expensive. So then what does it become? Nothing but a commercial break selling their lockbox and lobi wares? Sounds about right...
if they do stop the FE (of which they have not said yet), they would then use that time and money to make other stuff in its place. reviewing something because the cost is not giving enough 'bang for your buck' is not an indication that they will just be done away with. stopping FE does not mean nothing replaces it either.

that why he said 'review'. Do you not want your money to be spent in the wisest way possible? would you rather they blindly made FE that become more and more expensive each time or would you rather they try to maximise their resources to give you a good balance of quality and quantity?

no one ever said FE were the only way to make content or that they should be made regardless of the cost. If you can make STF's, or good repeatable events, red alerts, ground invasions, pvp, fleet actions in its place then those options should be considered. Especially because endgame is so lacking. FE are great but they are not the only content this game needs and not the best for endgame.

it may be a simple case of cutting back on the cut-scenes, voice over etc and just making more FE, just more in line with the first 2 series when they were no so expensive. Or it may be moving the content in a new direction in a way that we have no considered.

Again they did not hire these new people to sit around twiddling their thumbs. We will get new content, it may just not be in a way that we are used to.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Honestly, since I managed to finally complete both the space and ground M.A.C.O Mk XI sets I've really run out of things to do. I log in, set DOFF missions for the next 24hrs or so fly around for a bit and log out. I've rerun the FE series many, many times over on multiple characters. I don't want to EVER do the STF's again after grinding them for what felt like forever. New content being time gated too really doesn't help. I'm restricted on when I can play because of work and university so unlike some more fortunate folk I'm unable to plan my days around an MMO which I wouldn't be prepared to do even if I could. I HAVE A LIFE!

Can't see myself keeping a Gold account unless Season 6 is REALLY good.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
if they do stop the FE (of which they have not said yet), they would then use that time and money to make other stuff in its place. reviewing something because the cost is not giving enough 'bang for your buck' is not an indication that they will just be done away with. stopping FE does not mean nothing replaces it either.

that why he said 'review'. Do you not want your money to be spent in the wisest way possible? would you rather they blindly made FE that become more and more expensive each time or would you rather they try to maximise their resources to give you a good balance of quality and quantity?

no one ever said FE were the only way to make content or that they should be made regardless of the cost. If you can make STF's, or good repeatable events, red alerts, ground invasions, pvp, fleet actions in its place then those options should be considered. Especially because endgame is so lacking. FE are great but they are not the only content this game needs and not the best for endgame.

it may be a simple case of cutting back on the cut-scenes, voice over etc and just making more FE, just more in line with the first 2 series when they were no so expensive. Or it may be moving the content in a new direction in a way that we have no considered.

Again they did not hire these new people to sit around twiddling their thumbs. We will get new content, it may just not be in a way that we are used to.
Going by the recent trend, they'd just replace it with time-gated content we have a very limited time to pay with, while promoting whatever the next lockbox is, the profits from which won't be put back into this game. The 'wisest way possible' PWE/Cryptic seems to think, is not content that makes its customers happy, but content they can churn out for the cheapest cost that they can make their players play for a long as possible, while they continue to churn out lock boxes and C-store fluff, while touting the amazingness of the new content that's hidden for 22 hours of the day.

I would rather they made new and meaningful content that I and other players could actually access, rather than it being hidden behind a one or two-hour-a-day slot that I can't rearrange my life for. Content that progresses the various main stories of STO - even if it will now come in the form of a single episode/'mini movie', like Alpha - no more bloated 5-parters, but a single, solid mission with a few things to discover on replay too that furthers the story that they could put out each month. What's going on with The Hive? The Fek'ihri, Iconians, Tholians, Children of Khan, Mirror Universe incursions, the escapees from Facility 4028 that our DOFFs are permanently tracking down?

What's up with the Kaarg in Klingon space, drifting there like some hulking wreck in space? What happened to it? It screams to me that it would be a fantastic point of action for PVP - Feds want to take control of it, KDF want to defend it. It could even comprise a space and ground map; space where you fight for control of access points to it, and a ground portion where you fight for control of computer access, the bridge or engineering or something. The Kaarg makes sense even for PVE - just think of all the great sci-fi based around derelicts in space. STO's own take on Event Horizon, perhaps. Who knows what sort of technology the KDF were experimenting with on that ship, its vast size perfect for all sorts of experimental technology. So much so that maybe a Mirror Universe strike team broke through looking for some new toys, and discovered the augmented Fek'lhri a renegade or black ops KDF scientist was tinkering with, or something crazy. Who cares, I'm babbling on. Point is, there is still a lot of opportunity for rich, persistent content in this game that's just not being taken advantage of.

When will we get some new permanent, non-timeslotted STFs? What's up with the glaring security at Facility 4028? It makes sense to have made a daily there where we help fix it up; DOFF missions to upgrade it, daily BOFF missions to test its security while we try and upgrade it. It could even be an STF of its own with puzzle objectives to get past doors and forcefields, as we play the role of a prisoner trying to escape, to, again, test its security. They have lots of maps and settings they could re-use.

If they absolutely can't make any more FE's or meaningful story content or real STFs, then at least they could stop time-gating everything else. It's just a horrible way of extending the newness of the content. Even a 20-hour cooldown would be better. There's not even anything to do outside of that, nowhere to explore. They have bits and pieces in place that, put together, could be pretty compelling on an exploration front, but it's just not happening.

Why cant exploring nebulae offer a little of everything? For example, I go to an unexplored system and there's a small moon I can beam down to in my EVA suit, with some dilithium on it that can be mined like the mining event? Or an asteroid belt I can send my DOFFs off to explore because sensors read some anomalies there? A cosmozoan that could trigger a first-contact-like (as with Diplomacy) situation that will either resolve peacefully or violently based on the player's actions? A lobi or two on a ground map to reward exploring it fully, in lieu of actually having a bestiary we could fill out through exploration and discovery?