Lt. Commander
# 1 Scaling STF Leaver Penalty
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I know I am going to go against forum opinion, but I think the leaver penalty needs to be strengthened. I had the enjoyment of having a loser bail the moment we failed the optional objective despite Infected Space having, quite possibly, the easiest optional objective ever. Out of all of my runs I have only been on a failed attempt three time. And all of them were because people don't know how to play it.

My recommendation follows

Leaving before the Optional Objective is activated: No penalty. This helps in case someone realizes they joined the wrong STF but doesn't penalize the rest of the team if the team now has less than five people.

Leaving after the Optional Objective activates, but before its failure
  • 1st and 2nd to leave -- 1 hour ban from ALL STFs.
  • 3rd to 5th to leave -- no penalty

After objective failure
  • 1st to leave -- 24 hour ban from ALL STFs.
  • 2nd to leave -- 1 hour ban from ALL STFs.
  • 3rd to 5th to leave -- No penalty

All STF bans are cancelled in the event of a server outage.

If there are only four players left upon completion of the STF, the four of them get to roll on what would have been the fifth guy's award.

Why this set up?
The penalty is harsher on the first to leave the map than the last ones to leave. With a 24 hour all STF ban, those who fail the optional are more likely to stick around because those most likely to bail after the optional are just grinding the STFs anyway.

Why give a 1 hour ban to the second guy to leave?
Because with only 4 players, most of the ground maps and all of the space maps are still beatable. But once the team is down to just three people, while a couple of the space maps are beatable, the ground maps are not.

But I got knocked off due to a connection issue!
In the event of a server outage, all STF bans are cancelled. So if it wasn't a server issue that knocked you off, then you need to figure out what the problem is before you commit to teaming up with people again lest you have another connection issue that screws another team.

But it is not worth playing after the optional has failed!
The hell it is! Two-thirds of the Rare Borg Salvage I got were from drops and the completion award, not the optional award. I have only gotten the Rare Borg Salvage from the optional award bundle twice.

Again, I know this is counter to forum opinion, but for honest people wanting to play the STFs, I think this idea will act as a good deterrent against bailers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Never gonna work.

If I have a sudden power flicker and my internet blinks your little idea bans me from every STF for 24 hours.

Trust me I feel the frustation. I've just started working on ground STFs normals yesterday, and have had a near 50% fail rate due to ppl dropping out. No not when the Optional fails. They drop like 20 minutes later because they realize it's not going like clock work.

Sucks, But it's a game. Not a paid tournament.

You want it perfect, play on private STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock-HcP View Post
Never gonna work.

If I have a sudden power flicker and my internet blinks your little idea bans me from every STF for 24 hours.

Trust me I feel the frustation. I've just started working on ground STFs normals yesterday, and have had a near 50% fail rate due to ppl dropping out. No not when the Optional fails. They drop like 20 minutes later because they realize it's not going like clock work.

Sucks, But it's a game. Not a paid tournament.

You want it perfect, play on private STFs.
50% fail rate due to ppl leaving? In other words, they're leaving because you're screwing up the game beyond saving for them?

No, and current penalty should be removed. It's already too easy to grief as is. I can sit back and watch the lulz while they struggle. Then they leave first and I'm free to grief another immediately.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet
50% fail rate due to ppl leaving? In other words, they're leaving because you're screwing up the game beyond saving for them?

No, and current penalty should be removed. It's already too easy to grief as is. I can sit back and watch the lulz while they struggle. Then they leave first and I'm free to grief another immediately.
I agree with this.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Not really, we've all suggested harsher leaver penalty. Not as harsh as the one you're recommending - I preferred a 2hr ban on every STF because 2hrs is an eternity on the internet.

Getting people to stick it out until the mission fails would be ideal - but you can't "fail" Infected, so that needs to change.

If you have less people in a STF you should get better loot when you complete it, particularly if it is some ultra rare kind of thing that you can't get for any other reason.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet
Not that I knew of. One was Infected ground Norm. We made it into the last room with the shields to be taken down prior to fighting magus. Down to three players by this time but it's going well.....get three shields down...then another just beams out.

Another infected: 4 of us in the last room, get into one round with Magus, then it's all reset, then my dumbass slips through a railing and dies under the centeral floor. Respawn of course locks me out of the room. 1 of the three remain beams out. at which point we all toss it.

Kitomer: Ppl just start bailing after noone knows how to say "B1 rdy" and drop that shield then ....instead of 2 minutes later when noone's actually ready to shoot anymore.

Mind you. All of these are normals, as the current toon of mine is only 47-48. Also each other I personally announce I'm new to STF ground missions at the start.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. I misread it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-08-2012, 06:10 AM
I think there needs to be some kind of group "abort" button, so that if the team collectively realizes it's just not going to work they don't have to wait for someone to volunteer to take the leaver penalty.

In just about every CGE Pug I do, someone has to be the guy to take the penalty when they realize they're never going to beat Armek... Having the option for everyone to just quit the mission would be great especially if they try to make it harsher.

Honestly I think the penalty is stupid. If someone leaves good riddance, if means you can't finish out the mission then everyone can leave and just re-queue up. If the queues could be made to work to not team you up with people on your ignore list then all the "leavers" would find it harder and harder to get on a team as more regular STF players ignore them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Itís sad but STFs and pugging just donít mix.

Most STO players are not cutout for the pressures that come with running STF normal or Elite levels and the regular game play of STO does not prepare casual players for the experience.

STFs look like they were developed to be stress runs from the very start.

The 1st incarnation of the STF missions required that the player be able to block off 3 hours of their day to even attempt running one and if you failed some part of the mission then you wasted a huge about of your time and that scared most players away from them.

The newer versions of the STFs were made for quicker play times but the addition on the optional timer and the new stacking death penalty respawn timer can be quite overwhelming to the less experienced STF players.

The STFs by design are encouraging Rage quitting and Greifing.

Iím willing to bet that 90% of the Griefers we run into in STFs are just former Rage Quitters that decided that if they canít complete the mission then no one else should do it either.

The best way to try mitigate the amount of Rage Quitters or Greifers that you may encounter while running STFs is to

A. Join a Fleet that Specializes in STF runs
B. Join a Channel that has other players that want to run STFs

I do most of my runs with players that I find in the #EliteSTF Channel, the Channel is far from perfect but itís much better than pugging.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
B. Join a Channel that has other players that want to run STFs

I do most of my runs with players that I find in the #EliteSTF Channel, the Channel is far from perfect but itís much better than pugging.
Hmmm this I'll have to look into. I'd love to find a normal stf channel for getting more up to speed on ground missions. (I won't go elite on a mission until I'm winning most every normal version of it.)