Lt. Commander
# 1 Cream Stout
05-12-2012, 03:15 PM
So, I was out of town a few weeks ago and I had an Abbot Ale on tap. I really liked it - I guess you could describe it as a creamy stout. I bought a can and it's good but just not the same. Do you know of any good creamy stouts, and I mean creamy? =)
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-12-2012, 09:58 PM
First mistake.Can. Bottles, my friend.With a good stout, glass saves certain flavor hints aluminum cans destroy.Guinness in cans? Yes! They glass coat the inside of the can.Those heavy kegs that are rubberized behind the bar are usually glass lined.Try your favorite beer from a can, then a bottle,I guarantee it tastes better from a glass bottle.
My personal favorite "Cream Stouts"
1.Vermont pub and Brewery-The Chocolate Doctor Milk Stout (has a hint of chocolate, and caramel flavor, very smooth finish)
2.Bastone Brewery-McCleary's Stout (hard to describe...but its soooo good)
3.Sam Adam's - Cream Stout (Medium bodied- on the dry side-a tropical fruit, and slightly nutty finish) easy to find locally.
4.Grumpy Troll Brewery(seriously, thats the name.)-Spetsnaz Stout (slight cappicino flavor, very snappy finish)
I could go on, but I can chat later. Hope my input helps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Is Boddington's a milk stout as well?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Ah, you Cardassians, and your Kinar.Boddington's is technically a pale ale.It pours like a cream stout, most likely caused by the yeast, and priming sugar used in the carbonation process.Its color is too light to be declared a "stout"I. It's technically an "English Pale."I like it, but its hard to find by me.It has a slight floral and bannana undertone like most IPAs(India Pale Ales)what I like is that it doesn't have the flat bitter aftertaste that most IPAs possess. Critic's "Beer snobs"gave it bad reviews, because they couldn't really classify it.Not a true stout"by color and flavor" or a true ale.I think it was created by an evil genius, alchemist. I haven't had one in awhile, and I remember it goes really well with grilled fish( stripe bass,sword, tuna, exc.) I still have some cod in the freezer from my last fishing trip.I gotta find me a six now.thanks for putting the idea in my head.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
So, I was out of town a few weeks ago and I had an Abbot Ale on tap. I really liked it - I guess you could describe it as a creamy stout. I bought a can and it's good but just not the same. Do you know of any good creamy stouts, and I mean creamy? =)
Sam Adams Cream Stout, as suggested by Cptjhunter, is one of my favorites. Good luck finding it, though. I can't count on my local groceries and pubs to carry the seasonal brews here in Music City.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seseron
Sam Adams Cream Stout, as suggested by Cptjhunter, is one of my favorites. Good luck finding it, though. I can't count on my local groceries and pubs to carry the seasonal brews here in Music City.
I have the good fortune at times of being a New Englander. Sam Adams Brewery is a short pilgrimage for me. Harpoon brewery as well.Most package( took some getting used to...they were liquor stores in N.Y.)Have the cream stout stashed in back storage, and if your fortunate enough to be a friendly customer, they will share that hidden treasure with you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-28-2012, 02:21 PM
I bought this today, this is the style I want and would appreciate suggestions. I loved this one.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/203/2635

It's called Wexford Irish cream ale. It was so good. I had the nitrogen capsule inside which would probably help the abbot ale as well.

Any other cream ales out there??
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Cream stout I'm familiar with (although it'd just be another stout for the list), although I've had Abbot on tap before. There's a great ale pub near me, I used to live almost upstairs from it at one point. They've got so many different local and far away ales on tap.

But I've always just thought of abbot as "ale", nothing more, nothing less. I like a good IPA as well, Meantime IPA and Marston's Empire are both pretty nice. Also, I think Fuller's "Bengal Lancer" may be an IPA too, and that was a good pint.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
Is Boddington's a milk stout as well?
I think Boddingtons is a draft bitter.

I love stout, but have to admit I adore Bathams Bitter - it's brewed in a micro-brewery near my hometown. Georgous stuff!