Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfader1988
When are engine trails going to be fixed?

They only show if u enable maco, borg or omega engine visuals, if u take em off they disappear.
As far as I can tell, the visuals work fine. It could be your video settings. I have Borg, Maco, and Omega engines on various toons - none of them have any issues with the visuals. Mind you, I also disable them because I don't like the idea of polluting my screen with unnecessary graphic spam even if I have a card capable of Ultra settings.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-14-2012, 12:24 PM
My impulse engines and warp trails are on again, off again. Often times setting the video settings slider to full and back down again will help for a while, but if I change maps, change equipment, or even cloak and de-cloak, my trails can either reset to the default color, or more often, they just vanish entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-14-2012, 01:02 PM
dx11 user (ati hd 4650) and yes sometimes i have trails sometimes i dont
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
dx11 user (ati hd 4650) and yes sometimes i have trails sometimes i dont
I doubt you are going to get much out of (other than mutilthreaded rendering) dx11 with a dx10 or 10.1 (forgot which) card.

I don't know if mutithreaded rendering would be allowed in the games dx9 mode (it depends on wheither whoever made the engine said dx11 compatible card features only for dx11 mode or we will allow dx9/10/10.1 cards in dx11 mode and say its dx9 mode still). Someone correct me if i'm extremely confused and this statement is wrong.

Hmm wonder how useful Multithreaded rendering actually is on my i5480m with Turbo Boost Disabled (due to power comsumption and temp. (90 degrees celcius) issues. And no my cooling is perfectly fine my GPU playing STO is at 70 degrees (shared GPU/CPU cooling) 100% usage for at least 1 hour play time. So nobody say OMG 90 degrees your going to fry your CPU that seems to be perfectly fine (my CPU was under stress testing while GPU at 100% with crysis to get 90 though. For laptops 90 degrees lasts you ages and overclocking Deticated Laptop graphics is perfectly fine to do. Sorry if I have gotten far far to off topic (since this is STO forums) but i enjoy/ed writing this. Also problebly a really good idea to turn off GPU accerated particles.

Oh and I'm not getting any problems with engine trails. Max Graphics (other than number of physics objects and number of lights and 4x instead of 8x AA). dx mode on Auto.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afree100
Hmm wonder how useful Multithreaded rendering actually is on my i5480m with Turbo Boost Disabled (due to power comsumption and temp. (90 degrees celcius) issues. And no my cooling is perfectly fine my GPU playing STO is at 70 degrees (shared GPU/CPU cooling) 100% usage for at least 1 hour play time. So nobody say OMG 90 degrees your going to fry your CPU that seems to be perfectly fine (my CPU was under stress testing while GPU at 100% with crysis to get 90 though. For laptops 90 degrees lasts you ages and overclocking Deticated Laptop graphics is perfectly fine to do. Sorry if I have gotten far far to off topic (since this is STO forums) but i enjoy/ed writing this. Also problebly a really good idea to turn off GPU accerated particles.
Considering the hysteresis warnings for most cards and CPUs starts flagging thermal issues around the 75-80C mark, you're going to run into slow but long-term damage with your hardware in your current setup. You may not notice it now, but the lifetime of the hardware will be noticeably shorter as a result. Your MTBF (Meantime between failure) will certainly not match the hardware specs for that reason alone under the best and ideal circumstances.

One would argue that the reasoning you are running at such high temperatures, assuming you're not doing folding or some sort of CPU/GPU high activity constantly in that vein, is that either your cooling solution has an insufficient radiator (also could be a bad fan) and/or an insufficient cooling liquid reservoir (which could also be a radiator liquid type problem). It could also point to insufficient thermal conductivity to the cooling solution (e.g. ineffective contact with thermal paste to the cooling system).

Back on topic, however, I suspect the reason the graphics glitches are occurring may have nothing to do with dx9 vs dx10 vs dx11. It may simply be an outdated (and/or potentially overheated) video card. The game tries, when set to do so under the advanced troubleshooting options in the video section, to reduce frames/detail when the card is under what it considers heavy load. The more modern cards obviously have no issues with this, but older ones certainly will (ATI or Nvidia). This dynamic level of detail adjustment works fine in most cases, but may not do so reliably on older cards.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
I also have this problem, with no visuals turned on from a set my impulse engine trails will only show at full impulse and the warp engine trails will only show when i go to warp when leaving a system.

But when i have visuals turned on they seem to work, for example when i have the borg engines on i can see the green trail on the left but nothing for the right.

Very annoying since i dont like to the turn the set visuals on.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelkart.Marne
Heh, I *wish* my engine trails would disappear...
I just tried out the breen set and I have to say +1 for being able to turn them off as well.

Dang, they're bright.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metl View Post
Well of course they would disappear if you disable the visuals. that is the point of having the disable visuals option.
I mean the trails you have without any gear on smartass.

Red+blue for fed and Purple for jemmy i.e.. sometimes they appear but not always... Sometimes they are just gone.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willatreides View Post
Engine contrails (well, ion trails, plasma trails ... whatever) from nacelles and impulse engines disappeared for many players with the implementatiuon of the 19/4 patch. Borg, Aegis, MACO and Breen sets still show. Implulse engine trails will appear when at Full Impulse.

This seems to affect only some players. My guess, and this is purely deductive supposition, is that it has something to do with which DX version a player's comp is running. What's interesting is that the change occured wuth the 19/4 patch.

What's also interesting is that there has been NO communication from Cryptic whatsoever about this situation even though there are at least two threads about it the Graphic Bugs Forum.

Some players like them ... some players don't. Personally, I like the extra impression of movement and speed that they portray and would like them back.
Finally a post with some sense, awesome responses so far! Keep up the good work cryptic screwing up the game more and more.