Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucardcliff
All i know is im done everybody wants 2 give me crap about this ship The Dauntless, The Sona Ships So Screw it im dont let the threads die and be buried in pages on back because iv tryed to give ideas for new ships but everytime i get, we dont want it or it wont work so screw it im done
Huh? You got lots of support for the Dauntless. There were maybe two or three skeptics.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Didn't think it could be. Oh well.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak
I've always loved the design of the Typhon, and the Valkyries. Mind you, I loved that game as well.

I wonder if it would be possible to put it in though, or if the rights to that ship is with Activision, who made the PS1 game?
As I recall, sometime after Star Trek: Armada II, Activision lost all rights to the Star Trek IP. And as I understand it, Warthog Studios, the company who developed Invasion no longer exists. So I dont know what the legal situation is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Ships from other games cannot be used.
I dont see any reason why they cant be... its no different than the Vesta-class...
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucardcliff
All I know is I'm done.
Do not give up so easily. While no ships from games can be used, they can still serve to inspire Devs when they do such a mobile base eventually, e.g. taking the general shape of the Typhoon because it looks practical.

Maybe there will be a Monsoon-class Mobile Outpost/Carrier someday? Or Hurricane or whatever. Never give up, never surrender!
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-15-2012, 08:20 AM
You know Avalon, I can see the Typhon having high hull point (even if the rest of the ship is a lower tier stuff based on the size). It's basically a giant flying box, it looks like it was designed to take a serious pounding (and can in Invasion).
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon304 View Post
I dont see any reason why they cant be... its no different than the Vesta-class...
There's a difference between material from games and the novels. With consent of CBS, Cryptic is allowed to use contents from the Novelverse (e.g. the Luna-class and Captain Calhoun) but game contents are off-radar (e.g. they can't take anything from the abortive Star Trek Infinity).
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
It really is a shame that so much content for Star Trek is out there, and Cryptic's hands are tied so tight with CBS and other legal issues.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblinian View Post
There's a difference between material from games and the novels. With consent of CBS, Cryptic is allowed to use contents from the Novelverse (e.g. the Luna-class and Captain Calhoun) but game contents are off-radar (e.g. they can't take anything from the abortive Star Trek Infinity).
I dont think Ive ever read that CBS barred Cryptic from using stuff from other games, but that does not mean it wasnt said. Even then, Cryptic can always get permission from CBS, I dont think they would mind if it enriches the property.

Also, it is Typhon as in :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhon

Not Typhoon as in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon

or

http://www.stowiki.org/Typhoon

grylak, its not a matter of the way its built adding hull strength, its a function of the ship being very small. (Its probably about the size of on the the Atrox's wings, if I had to eye ball it. Might even be a bit smaller.) The smaller the ship means, while theres less hull to reinforce, theres less hull over all. I dont see the Typhon having a hull strength over at most 35K.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Wait, it has 300 people on it? That's a pretty small number of people for a base. Although, I kinda get it, how it's like just command, not an entire base. Looks strange, but I think it would be cool.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywiz
Wait, it has 300 people on it? That's a pretty small number of people for a base. Although, I kinda get it, how it's like just command, not an entire base. Looks strange, but I think it would be cool.
Well... based on the size (theres a picture of it in relation to the Enterprise-E posted by me earlier in this topic), it isnt a huge ship. And with no specs outside of basic armament and ability from Invasion itself, I had to do some guess work for my stats. 300 seemed a nice mid-ground for a ship its size with its specific mission profile. I imagine that equipped for medical evacuation the Typhon-class could hold upwards of 700-800 people in addition to its 300 crew.