Lt. Commander
# 1 Vo'Quv or Negh'Var?
05-13-2012, 10:48 PM
To start off, I thank you all for giving advice about cruisers on this thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=266167

I've found that I really enjoy a broadsiding beamboat. It reminds me of when I played Star Trek: Tactical Assault (horrible, horrible game), and I can use the same strategies from that game on STO using a beam boat.

Now then, I have a question for you all for when I get to Brigadier General, should I get the Vo'Quv or the Negh'Var?

I've always been fascinated by the Vo'Quv since before the game's release. I loved the design and the idea of a carrier/battleship for the KDF. However I've heard people say that it's a horrible, horrible ship. Yet, I look at it's stats and I can't see anything wrong based on the stats alone. I figure a broadside support for the fighters to hit the enemy hull isn't a bad use for the ship.

There's also the Negh'Var, which looks like a beast. It looks like a fed assault cruiser that's got more tank to it and a better turn rate. I think that would make a better beamboat(?).

I know I will eventually get both, but which should I get with the free ship token when the time comes?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-13-2012, 11:02 PM
What class are you using? I'm not sure you mentioned it...

Without even knowing what class you use, my advice is to get the Negh'var first. Why? You'll be REALLY REALLY tempted to get Advanced carrier pets if you buy the Vo'quv, and those require Dilithium.

Plus, the Negh'var is really good. I like it a little more than my Vor'cha, primarily because I can modify the look of the thing without spending c points.

Yes, the Vo'quv is fun right now because of the new pets... and if you are Sci, then I would have to pick the Vo'quv before the Negh'var (I don't really ever use the Negh'var with my Sci, even though I have one). However, the Vo'quv will make you want to spend Dilithium, and it will take you longer to get the Negh'var because of that.

Also, everyone needs to have a Hegh'ta no matter what class you use. It might be the best ship in the entire KDF fleetyard, IMO. The B'rel is another fun experience, but the Hegh'ta can do a lot of different stuff & it's a lot of fun. Definitely get the Vo'quv & the Negh'var if you are curious about those ships because they both are great, but the Hegh'ta is also great.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-13-2012, 11:26 PM
First off, in terms of Mobility, the Negh'var wins. The Vor'quv is a very slow turning ship.

Second, The role you want to play depends on the ship you plan to fly. If you want to play a Healer, either ship can provide that task, Cruisers abit better in the Hull healer route with the exception of Extend Shields. Where as the Vor'quv can provide a good Shield Healer route because of Sci Team 3 And Transfer Shield Strength 3.

Third, The Vor'quv, despite having hanger bays, by it's self can't do quite as much damage at times as the Negh'var due to turn rates and Weapon Assignments.

And finally, Dilithium, as was mentioned above, is an important resource to consider. If you have flown Cruisers before, the Negh'Var is a Cruiser. If you have flown Science Vessels, especailly Deep Space Science Vessels, the Vor'quv is close. Especailly if you've flown a Bortasqu'.

Even though the following thread is ment for PVP, it can also be used for PVE regarding the Vor'quv and it's Pets:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=269318

Either way, good luck with your decisions. and Ka'pla good sir!
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-14-2012, 01:08 AM
The Neg'Var looks cooler, and is more maneuverable.

Both ships can tank.

The Vo'Quv gives you the unique Carrier experience.

I have the feeling that for PvE, Carriers are superior to Cruisers and Science Vessels. A regular Science Vessel gets Subsystem Analysis and Target Subsystems to compensate for 2 missing weapon slots compared to a Cruiser. A Carrier gets Subsystem targeting and 2 hangar bays that I am pretty sure generate more damage than 2 extra weapon slots would do.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2012, 07:05 AM
i have the Vo'Quv (and karfi) both ships are very nice, Vo'Quv have 5 turn rate you need a RCS console... mmm... that help (not enough but... help) remember. Maybe you prefer vo'quv with dual beam bank (if u prefer attack a far) or close attack 3.5 km (then you can use dual heavy cannons) or well... if you not use the RCS your best choice is 4 beam array.

Good Luck!!

Carrier mode ON!!!

PD: i have with my SCI the karfi, and Marauder with my ENG both KDF
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
The Vo'Quv is an odd beast, definitely not to everyone's taste. The slow turn rate and high inertia are the biggest downsides(The Mark 12 Purple RCS never looked so good). If you like lots of abilities, and needing to use them, you can easily fill up the 3 tall bar. IMO, it's harder to tank in than a Bortas(Qu'), which has about the same hull, as your fighters/BoP aren't always in the right position to support you (even when the carrier commands are working 100%) so you have to take a bit more damage since you can't kill enemies as fast with only 6 weapon slots and 2 tac consoles. Get caught with your fighters out of range and most of your powers on cooldown, and you'll be in the respawn queue surprisingly quick. The KHG set (particularly the shield and the 2-piece bonus) would help that a lot, but I didn't have but the Mk X shield that at the time, so you might be able to make it tank better if you can get two parts of it.

The Vo'Quv was interesting to fly on my Tac captain char, but the Kar'fi I got during the sale is so much nicer for my gameplay style, and fits non-Sci captains a lot better.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom61 View Post
IMO, it's harder to tank in than a Bortas(Qu'), which has about the same hull, as your fighters/BoP aren't always in the right position to support you (even when the carrier commands are working 100%) so you have to take a bit more damage since you can't kill enemies as fast with only 6 weapon slots and 2 tac consoles. Get caught with your fighters out of range and most of your powers on cooldown, and you'll be in the respawn queue surprisingly quick.
A Vor'quv can tank very eaisly with the following powers:

EptS 3, Aux to Sif 1, TSS 2, HE 2, Tac Team 1 Regardless to the captian class you are. Those skills will help you tank very well if you set your self to Max Aux power. Even at /50 Aux it will help you tank quite well.

As far as pets, the best pets are the Bird of Prey, and the To'duj for Damage. The BoP is better Because the AI seems abit smarter when using it's abilities. The Advanced versions have Quantum Torpedoes and the BoP gets HY 2 and RF 2.

Other then those pets, depending on what you plan on doing there are other pets that are helpful based on weither you've Unlocked other C-store Ships or not.

And then there's the Orion Slavers, which are fun for PVE. Since they have a chance to steal Money or Commodities (and/or Cotraband for the Advanced versions) when they target other PVE ships.

If you have the C-store Points I'd also recomend trying the Marauder. It's a "Flight-Deck" cruiser. Which means it's a Cruiser that is also given a single Hanger Bay. For Ship spec purposes it is identical to the Star Cruiser. Same Turnrate, BoFF slots, Weapon Slots, and console slots. It was also given the Hanger bay that can equip any Pet except for the BoP or the Frigate.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
My Vo’Quv is an outstanding Hull tank and a very good shield tank thanks to my skills and Very Rare Maintenance Doffs.

Eng setup
EPTA1, EPTS2 and ET3 (Over 10000 hull points every 15 seconds)

I also pack HE3 (about 14000 hull points over 15 seconds), TSS2 and ST1

The thing to remember with the Vo’Quv is that your Hanger Crafts DPS is the Carriers DPS has well.

The upgraded BOP are a huge boon with their Quantum Torpedo and HY2.

Cruisers are great all around vessels but I feel the Vo’Quv offers a bit more variety.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
I'd prefer carrier.
Negh'Var is just another cruiser, with well known playstyle limitations and capabilities.
But with Vo’Quv you can do something non-standart but still effective.
I like BoP's alpha strike very much. If you you arrange it properly the result will be better then BoP/Raptor alpha strike.
For example you can attack cube with 4 BoP's already launched but in passive mode, strip facing shield (as tac captain i usually just strip it, but it can be also disabled by power syphon + target shiealds), order BoP's to attack. If you gues moment right (cube will start redistributing shields after some time), after 4*HY2 cube will have less than 25% Hp, or if you are lucky just blow up. And you can re-launch 2 BoP's instantly to get some more torps
For carrier itself i use classic broadside setup. If you put 6 beams (no torps/mines) you can get almost same dps as cruiser (adding 7-th/8-th beams gives small benefit because of power problems).
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traven158 View Post
There's also the Negh'Var, which looks like a beast. It looks like a fed assault cruiser that's got more tank to it and a better turn rate. I think that would make a better beamboat(?).

I know I will eventually get both, but which should I get with the free ship token when the time comes?
The Vo'Quv is a lousy beam boat. The best setup is a dual beam bank and 2 turrets on the front and a beam array and 2 turrets on the back. That way you can ensure that you will always have 5 weapons shooting at your target, one of them a beam to ensure you can use the built in targeting attacks.

The turn rate is so bad that you can't broadside anything, your enemy will define where they are and you can't do a thing about it. Using RCS consoles won't do much, the consoles upgrade the base turning rate, and with a turning rate of 5, you are still going to turn like a pregnant whale. This also means that you need two tactical teams as you can't cover a weak shield by turning, so your offensive tactical abilities are limited to a single LTC slot.

That said it is the most fun ship to fly of the two, those bird of preys are murder, especially the rare ones. 10k damage on every torpedo hit and you can deploy 4 of them at a time.

If you are a Science capt. get the carrier first, if you are an Engineer, either one will do. If you are a Tac. captain, you are looking at the wrong ships...