Lt. Commander
# 11
05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlapo
The turn rate is so bad that you can't broadside anything, your enemy will define where they are and you can't do a thing about it. Using RCS consoles won't do much, the consoles upgrade the base turning rate, and with a turning rate of 5, you are still going to turn like a pregnant whale. This also means that you need two tactical teams as you can't cover a weak shield by turning, so your offensive tactical abilities are limited to a single LTC slot.
If you are a Science capt. get the carrier first, if you are an Engineer, either one will do. If you are a Tac. captain, you are looking at the wrong ships...
Attack pattern alpha + omega fixes this a bit. With both up you can turn fast enough. And 2 tac teams just does not fit, as attack pattern omega and FAW are really "must have" here. I use 1 tac team and RSP.
Its fun to fly carrier being tac captain. After flying BoP its really refreshing experience. OFC buying it as first ship for tac is bad idea, but as alternative to fast and fragile BoP its really good. Tactical turn rate buffs really help.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I've been using the Vo Quv for about 3 weeks now, and while I won't argue with anything said above, I do have something to add.

When you need to turn around fast, cut speed to half and hit either Evasive Maneuvers or a Surplus Dilithium, which is obtained from the Alhena daily mission in, uhhh, Eta Eridani ? (or whatever is the sector block straight west from Klingon Home).

You have to be a bit conservative with the Surplus Dil, as you can only get 4 per day, and it does not stack with Evasive Maneuvers, but it yields exactly the same results, and it's a great backup when EM is in cooldown.

Personally, I fly the Vo Quv with an Engineer.

N.B. - I'm no veteran, having only been in STO for circa 4 months, so take what I say with a grain of salt, realizing that I have no great fund of experience to call upon.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-15-2012, 03:05 PM
It's not Dilithium it's Deutrium, bu that's not here nor there.

The thing I've found is I don't use it up faster than I acquire it, so I have 10 in the inventory and 15 across my ships.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-20-2012, 01:34 PM
1) If it's any help, use an engineer toon

2) ok, so it's been mentioned that both are awesome ships. However, it's also been mentioned that it costs dilithium in order to get the fighter pets. This probably wouldn't be an issue if I were doing STFs and whatnot. However, it would be a problem if the Vo'Quv is a difficult ship to master, as it would then take me longer to get both ships. So my next question is: How hard is it to fly/master a Vo'Quv?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traven158 View Post

2) ok, so it's been mentioned that both are awesome ships. However, it's also been mentioned that it costs dilithium in order to get the fighter pets. This probably wouldn't be an issue if I were doing STFs and whatnot. However, it would be a problem if the Vo'Quv is a difficult ship to master, as it would then take me longer to get both ships. So my next question is: How hard is it to fly/master a Vo'Quv?
The hadest thing imo is to get used to turn rate and inertia. Sometimes you can find yourself flyig into firing range of gateway, without any chance to turn or stop fast enough, even using reverse. Or getting too close to cube in cure, while you want to stay out of its range to shoot probes. And if one of you shields is down with tac team on CD you have to redistribute shields manually, trying to turn enough to change facing shield is absolutely useless.You just need to get used to it...
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaemon View Post
The hadest thing imo is to get used to turn rate and inertia. Sometimes you can find yourself flyig into firing range of gateway, without any chance to turn or stop fast enough, even using reverse. Or getting too close to cube in cure, while you want to stay out of its range to shoot probes. And if one of you shields is down with tac team on CD you have to redistribute shields manually, trying to turn enough to change facing shield is absolutely useless.You just need to get used to it...
Good points. On top of needing to manually redistribute shields, you'll also need to keep a tight leash on your pets, trigger subsystem targeting abilities, and manage your BOff and Captain abilities. More intensive abilities interaction than most other ships, but can be quite fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traven158 View Post

A Sci could probably get more out of the Vo'Quv, but it should go fine with a Eng anyway. Play to your strengths and go for a tank build would be my recommendation. I had fun with it on Tac captain, and pretty much none of the advantages given by being Tac line up with what the Vo'Quv can do, beyond stacking Attack Pattern Alpha's speed and turn boost with evasive.

Green pets are plenty serviceable, and cost only a little over 3K EC in the shipyard. Blue pets are nice, but you should figure out what pets you like on the greens before dropping the Dil for blues(thereby limiting the amount you spend Dil on).