Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Lt. Commander
# 1 Feedback: Thoughts from a Fan
05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
With my admiration of the Duty Officer System and its shear brilliance for the Star Trek IP in Star Trek Online, something dawned on me that I feel would be a really neat way to even further expand upon the use and functionality of the current Duty Officer System in our Star Trek Online experience.

My idea is to create short duration away missions not really any different than the current duty officer assignments already available to us. The only difference would be that these short away team missions would be found randomly in the exploration sector blocks during the “explore unknown system” missions; but what is it that I am talking about and how could this work? Fair enough question! Let’s setup a make believe scenario to demonstrate exactly what I’m speaking about:

Scenario: upon dropping out of warp near an un-known system in the Delta Volanis Cluster Block, you receive a transmission from a J class world. You learn that the people there are recent colonists from the Alpha Quadrant. The colony has recently been raided by the Breen who have stolen some Federation Shield Generators, provisions and Industrial Supplies that were going to be used to help build defenses for the colony on the frontier.

At this point in the scenario, I would propose as a list of secondary objectives, that you would then be prompted by the UI to complete a small number of duty officer assignments. Such assignments could be simple things like offer medical assistance. Open up trade negotiations; deploy a security force on the planet’s surface etc. The important thing is that the assignments wouldn’t last more than five to ten minutes. (Rewards would have to be scaled as well with this)

After assigning what duty officers you wish to “send to the surface”, you will need a distraction from the timers. This is when the Breen show up for another raid. At this point your primary objective could start a “defend the colony” objective until the shield generators are installed. Thus killing two birds with one stone! Since you can tie the timer for the duty officer assignments to the “Defend objective” timer!

And there you have it! You just used your duty officers on a live assignment! I think that, that is pretty cool. How about the rest of you?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I would actually really like to see assignments integrated into Exploration (and other) missions. When we are able to tackle Exploration missions in force, this is something I am hopeful we might see.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Neat idea... will we see it in the next FE?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
I would actually really like to see assignments integrated into Exploration (and other) missions. When we are able to tackle Exploration missions in force, this is something I am hopeful we might see.
Maybe when you grab its ankles with all your might for the KDF maybe rename it to something Klingons would want to do, then make the missions seem more klingon. Examples would include does not feel very klingon to blast objects that are called tribbles over and over, try to find plants to destroy that cannot be scanned to find them (also not every warrior aspires to kill flora plants which is ironic since flora is a plant isn't it?), also Big giant huge buildings and most of the time some reason the borg like to appear on top of them... (Sometimes you just have to stare at them and hope eventually they think of you as a threat so they will jump down and let you complete the mission).

Even a mission like the one where you go and attack the mars base thing in the one KDF episode/mission stuff like that would be awesome and not just spawning of things one at a time to fight LOL.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
My assumption is that it will not really require any hard work resourcing these additions, as all you are really doing… is changing how certain duty officer assignments are presented.

For example, duty officer assignments currently change with sector blocks. You could build on that to have short timed duty officer assignments based on instances!

Hell, with tying the assignments to instanced material, much like sector blocks, a bunch of patrol missions could even be enhanced to include secondary duty officer assignments. Why re-make the wheel when we can just re-visit some of the beautiful artwork in game?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Recruitment assignments would also be nice, it's really hard to get enuff Recruitment points at all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Isn't that like what is done in Second Wave when you can optionally do 3 DO assignments?
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by veldrane View Post
Isn't that like what is done in Second Wave when you can optionally do 3 DO assignments?
Yep! It sure is! Wouldn't it be nice to put that kind of thing into our exploration missions and Patrol missions?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Great Idea!

Give something more to boring exploration missions!
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by veldrane View Post
Not quite... The careful reader will observe that he meant linking the doff mission timers to an objective timer, so that if you had a doff assignment that took 1 minute, a timer starting when the assignment was initiated would immediately start counting down on an objective.