Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Alright ya'll, as the title states I need some ideas for naming an Excelsior Retrofit (or is it refit) Class. I also just purchased an Excelsior class model kit so I want to use the name both on my ingame ship and on my model.

I don't want to recycle names that have been used 50 trillion times and want something different. I don't care what language the name comes from, but if you do suggest a ship name from a different language please supply what language it is from and exactly what it means.

I've been going nuts trying to come up with something really unique and just something that really sounds good and since it was someone from the community that helped me come up with the name for my MVAE I figured I'd give this a shot again.

Thanks all in advance for you're help and can't wait to see what ya'll can come up with.
Try looking at baby name sites. Yes, they are names intended for people, but if you're looking for potentially foreign names I'm sure that you could find something good, and at least a few have many foreign names in their database. Just say that it was a noted Starfleet captain early on in Federation history. Pike, Kirk and Archer were surely not the only famous captains from back then.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-15-2012, 01:54 AM
The "1st Amendment " applys only in the USA
as the USA no longer exists by this time its obsolete

Meanwhile name suggestion

U.S.S. Challenger
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-15-2012, 03:00 AM
Red October
Moby ****...need to write it MobyDick...otherwise its a profanity
Hood
Victory ...both were actual excelsior class ships in TNG
Demeter ...the ship Dracula arrived in London
Icarus
Tardis ...Dr.Who
Leonov ....space:2010
Sulaco ...Alien
Rodger young ...Starship troopers
Liberator
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-15-2012, 05:34 PM
I named my Excelsior the USS Coral Sea. It went well with my Constitution-refit USS Shangri-La.

You could name it after a volcano like the Mauna Loa or the Mt. St. Helens.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox3178
I named my Excelsior the USS Coral Sea. It went well with my Constitution-refit USS Shangri-La.

You could name it after a volcano like the Mauna Loa or the Mt. St. Helens.
Out of all the possible things to use for inspiration for a ship name I never would have thought about checking the names of volcanoes. Since many of them would have been discovered at different times in history there maybe a great deal of variety. I'm going to look through them all now to see if I can find one I like or a few to possibly choose from. Thanks for the very unique suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Out of all the possible things to use for inspiration for a ship name I never would have thought about checking the names of volcanoes. Since many of them would have been discovered at different times in history there maybe a great deal of variety. I'm going to look through them all now to see if I can find one I like or a few to possibly choose from. Thanks for the very unique suggestion.
Glad to be of help

You can also look at other volcanoes in the Solar System, such as Ruwa Patera (Io) or Olympus Mons (Mars).
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
yeah I was checking extraterrestrial ones as well, kind of liked Pavonis until I found out the translation was "Pea". lol Might save that one for a shuttle craft.

Sad thing is I can come up with character names for everything and anything in under 5 mins usually, no clue why naming a ship is so much harder.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Choosing the right name for your ship can be pretty challenging. Looking back over the shows we can all remember characters but through it all were the ships; barring DS9 and Voyager it was all about ONE ship.

I know I have difficulty as well because whenever that promotion comes up regardless of the character there is always a period of deliberation; I feel like I'm chasing an icon. I suppose I am.

I have an Excelsior too (love that ship) and it's the one that I was most pleased with the name.

USS Charter-C (the retrofit make it at least a "C", that part wasn't so important.)

Charter references the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as nautical mapwork. The name felt like a fusion of the ideals of civil liberty and a nod to exploration and discovery.

I thought it felt like a retro Trek vessel should be. There are many good names that reference cities, scientists and pioneers but the names that stuck in my head were the ones that were qualities or ideals that the people on deck hoped they live up to.

I'm sorry I don't have a specific name to offer but maybe this will help.
Lt. Commander
# 19 suggestions
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
U.S.S RHINO
U.S.S. vanguard
U.S.S. ECLIPSE
U.S.S ROAR

etc
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Not going to give you specific names as I too have a hard time coming up with ship names. But maybe some of my naming schemes will give you some inspiration.

As an Arkansas native, all my ships on my original toon are some form of the mascot for the UofA, Razorback, Wild Hawg, Big Red, Piglet (for my shuttle), etc. This probably wouldn't work if your mascot is a banana slug.

My science toon uses names of scientists or tech geeks - my favorite being Adm. Grace Hopper.

My Caitian uses names of big cats, Jaguar, Lynx, Ocelot, Puma etc.

One of my toons uses personal military heroes.

Naming ships after famous battles is an old naval tradition, you might find a Star Trek battle to use.

One other idea would be to Google "excelsior" and see if you find any inspiration there.