Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
I love everything about Star Trek and I loved Gene's vision of the future a great deal.

The future of Star Trek in my opinion is now held with J.J Abrams

He will make or break the franchise with this next Star Trek film.

I want another series that captures my heart and mind like some of the TNG films.

First Contact was epic and of all of the ST Movies by far my favorite.

My worries though are the era of Star Trek are long gone only replaced by s**$#y reality shows , Judge "Fill in the blank" and stupid singing contests nobody cares anymore.

A lot of trekkies are waiting on a miracle but are seeing nothing.

Do you guys think it's too late to save Star Trek?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2012, 09:23 AM
If you ask me, JJ Abrams is the worst thing that ever happend to Star Trek.

I mean, Lens flares apart, the way he messed up the Enterprise, yet alone the basic story, and his ignorance of why it did not exactly make sense that the bridge of a ship was super high-tech, and the communications center was a bunch of milk-tanks, he and the writers entirely forgot what trek is all about.

Sure, TOS was a "western", but even Kirk never used weapons as much as they did in that new movie.
Trek is first and foremost "to boldly go", "To seek out new life and new civilizations". At least TOS did that.

If Star Trek, in the form of real Star Trek has a future, they need to go back to that. Take a look at TOS and TNG, and spice it up with just a tad DS9 and Voy, and resurrect the prime story.

Sadly, I think you are right... If it dosen't have PEW PEW PEW, and "John is the brother of my sons fathers uncles wifes niece", people probably don't want to see it anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Sure, TOS was a "western", but even Kirk never used weapons as much as they did in that new movie.
Trek is first and foremost "to boldly go", "To seek out new life and new civilizations". At least TOS did that.
You got it all wrong To seek out new life and new civilizations and kill them all with phaser volleys
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Honestly, in a way I like and don't like the new direction Star Trek is moving. He's rebooted a dieing genre, but it's being rebooted more like a new Star Wars in where it's more about the action.

But original Trek isn't over just yet, while new Trek is getting offers for a TV show, old Trek proponents have pitched new TV shows and movies, and lets not forget about CBS giving it's blessing for STO. Granted, Cryptic seems to have given up on expanding STO, but original Trek isn't dead yet. All someone had to do is come up with a great plot for the big-wigs to sink their teeth into.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgtburglar
You got it all wrong To seek out new life and new civilizations and kill them all with phaser volleys
At least that is the way it would be if JJ had things his way.

When I go back, yes... Weapons were used inī... well... alot of episodes, but in the end, it was usually diplomacy and a good speech that solved the problems.

True... Mirror-kirk did that too in the 2009 movie, but way too late, and he ended up shooting his weapons anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2012, 10:00 AM
I am not a fan of anything that JJ has done. He has grand ideas, but lacks the creativity to devise a complete story line from them.

The fact that Trek's future is in his hand sickens me. He's admitted he hated the franchise when he was chosen to create a new movie. I think this fact is apparent from the plot of the movie. Trek nation is already divided on him, so right off the bat he has alienated half of the loyal fans.

The movie he made felt more like a Michael Bay action movie than Star Trek. It was a dumb action summer superhero movie, where we got more special effects than story. I don't see how it could bring in a younger generation of Trek fans for the simple reason that Hollywood continues to crank out this style of move month after month. And frankly, there are allot better action movies out there for a younger fan to get sucked into.

Everything that was supposed to be Trek, about the first movie, felt very forced. It seems JJ is already out of ideas since the new movie is rumored to be a remake of "Wrath of Khan". I have to admit there is allot of bad Star Trek out there, but if the whole franchise is just going to be a dumb reboot, let it die. The whole universe is at their disposal and all these hack writers and directors can come up with is recycled material with updated special effects. It is just pathetic.

Now if you told me a new series was coming out, where you could tell a bigger storyline and actually risk trying out new ideas, than I would be very interested. Just keep JJ far away, isolated in his little Trekverse.
Sadly because sc-fi is so expensive to produce, it doesn't turn high enough of a profit to fit into the modern TV landscape. I am very uneasy about the future of this once proud franchise.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2012, 01:07 PM
He should Stop
and hand Trek to someone who has seen it
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
The movie he made felt more like a Michael Bay action movie than Star Trek.

LOL If you like that then you will love this.

It's epic... Just watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxj1mou03M
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-20-2012, 02:43 PM
i still dont understand the hate around JJ. He rebooted the show and made it accessible to many many people. The much loved TNG casts last films flopped and almost killed the franchise. JJ brought it back to life. The ratings from Fans and critics was extremely positive. remember millions of people watch star trek, but most are casual fans that just want to be entertained with a good show or film. they could not care less if the enterprise was bigger than in tos, of if delta vega was in the wrong place or if kirk acted in a different way to before. the franchise is supported by the masses and the masses loved it.

he had 2 hours to make a movie that would attract as many people as possible. this was not the time for a search for spock or an insurrection. this was the time for a big flashy film to justify its huge budget.

so there are some continuity errors. every episode of star trek has them if you look hard enough. so it was an action movie rather than an exploration film. the most loved star trek films are centred around action and revenge. was the story the best ever? no, but neither was theshold, or these are the voyages of the entire first season of tng. was it made by someone who did not understand star trek? yes but quite frankly it seemed the whole of nemesis was written and directed by people who had not watched star trek before.

He wont be on the project forever and eventually other people will take over and if there is ever a tv show again, it will contain the usual array of episodes dealing with all manner of issues like people would expect from star trek

JJ has been the best thing to happen to star trek for its continued long running survival. i know that sticks in peoples claws and i know some people hate the film. well some people hate tos, some people hate tng, some people hate ds9, some people hate enterprise and some people hate XI. the difference is XI made a boat load of money and that is what will keep star trek coming back again and again and again.

id rather see a film that divides some fans but keeps making money than a film universally loved by the hardcore that makes no money and kills the franchise.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Hang on can't JJ only really be blamed for the lens flares and camera shake, the writers are the ones that came up with the weak story and god awful dialogue aren't they?