05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Hes A You Tube Video Of The Ship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9EjvWeubjk
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonoa View Post
It's the 25th century enough of these old ships!
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
Well people still collect cars from the 19th Century and display them proudly and that was two Centuries ago. Mall parking lots are filled with old cars from collectors and people interested in nostalgia. McCoy gave Kirk a pair of antique glasses for his birthday so nostalgia is cannon

I would not want to take the designers away from creating new content but if they are creating them for a storyline for FEs then I think it would be great to make them available.

I would also not suggest PvPing against one of your Fleet with an older ship but It is cool to parade around with something sentimental to the Captain from time to time. I also like the challenge of redoing missions with a TOS Connie or shuttle to change it up a little bit!
f2pdrakron kind of beat me to it, there is a difference between owning an old car and taking it for special event drives and things, and taking a four hundred year old star ship into a combat zone against an enemy who is using state of the art tech. Imagine a Man of War Galleon vs any modern naval ship. Even a PT Boat could Torpedo it without ever being seen.

And I'll point something out. The B'Rel was in TNG fighting alongside the Vor'Chas. So yes KDF has updates their designs where as Starfleet replaces their designs. This is one of the differences between the two factions. Kern (Worf's brother) captained a Bird of Prey called the Hegh'ha and Gowron's (High Council Chancelor of the time) used a Vor'Cha called Bortasq as his Flagship. (Just saw that episode again last night).

But the B'Rel in that had a fixed wing design and seemed to be larger than the originals.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Regarding the KDF ships, there's two very good articles over at Ex Astris Scientia, one of them is the "Everlasting Battlecruiser" that deals with the K't'inga's apparent centuries of service, and another that deals with the uh... inconsistant, to put it midly, size of Birds of Prey.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Its a model problem, it was extend with Voyager when they used the wrong model, it even says as much as the D-7 never had a CGI model they just used the K’t’inga.

A lot of times we have to ignore what we see on screen because its wrong, either because they plain old screwed up or because they screwed up knowing they what they were doing was a screw up.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
and taking a four hundred year old star ship into a combat zone against an enemy who is using state of the art tech. Imagine a Man of War Galleon vs any modern naval ship. Even a PT Boat could Torpedo it without ever being seen..
Well it would only be a 250 year old Ship if it was from the Enterprise era. I am also figuring that at a time of war (as was done in WW1 and WW2) older equipment was used at the start of both wars. There were biplanes in the first couple of years of WW2.

I am not arguing that it is not as nice as having a newer 25th century ship but it certainly appeals to a lot of the players that are playing STO. I would not suggest a Connie for PvP but there is not one mission that I have not been able to finish with my TOS Connie. We sometimes have one Connie in our STF’s.

We are in the 25th Century and if we have a 22nd Century ship handy, we would have the ability to beam out old computer systems and components to make them usable in the current time easily. A lot easier than to build one from scratch. We are switching out 25th Century shields/engines/Deflector daily so I am thinking that a quick upgrade will get a ship ready to go for battle.

I think my point was if there were going to make something like this for a mission that it would not take a lot of effort to make it a purchasable ship. They will never make these ships tier 5 ships so what is the problem with having them for the lower levels. If I had the choice of one of theses or a Miranda then I would go with nostalgia any day!
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
Well it would only be a 250 year old Ship if it was from the Enterprise era. I am also figuring that at a time of war (as was done in WW1 and WW2) older equipment was used at the start of both wars. There were biplanes in the first couple of years of WW2.
The Great War: 1914-1918
World War II: 1939-1945

Just 21 years have passed and as some equipment was still in use this would be hardly strange, however you making a statement as if airplanes that were used in the Great War were still in use during World War II, this is for most part false as the only aircraft that was in use in WW I and still in service in WW II time was the Avro 504 that was in used as a trainer by Estonia and Thailand and since you mentioned biplanes ...

The oldest Biplane was the Ansaldo A.120 from 1925 that was used by Italy and Lithuania, 1939 was the year of the Italian Fiat CR.42 (single-seat sesquiplane fighter, 1,800 built), the dutch Koolhoven F.K.52 (two-seat reconnaissance-fighter, only 6 aircraft were produced as they were invaded, 2 of then did see service by Finnish Air Force and were destroyed in the Continuation War) and the Soviet Polikarpov I-153 (biplane fighter 3,437 build but discontinued in production in 1941 ... despite efforts to restart, blame Stalin).

You see biplanes did see service in WWII, the fact was biplanes developed in 1920-30 could not compete with monoplane designs of 1930-40's, just a decade as more that enough to render a entire concept obsolete.

However we cannot assume such fast pace of development, the F-22 is considered "cutting edge" but its origin dates back to In 1981 ATF competition and the prototype flown in 1997, things have slow down considerable as knowledge on aircraft have matured to the point nobody is really going to rediscover the wheel as since we are at peace time there is no real investment on advanced technologies.

(Edit: failing at math)
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
James, yeah it was late and got a bit out with my dates. 250 years is more accurate.

I'm not sure I'm a one hundred percent accurate here but didn't they make over twenty models of spitfire between 1938 and 1960 when they phased them out.

They had got to Mk XII by 1943 and had a bunch of modified ones with a letter designations. In 5 years of war time development they had gone throught 12 variations of the same design.

The thing is people are asking for Tier 5 versions of these ships, They want the old Connie to stand up to the Borg. I for one see you getting the Connie as a starter ship patrolling the old outlying areas, I don't see it as a front line ship. Starfleet wouldn't have a floating junkyard of these old ships, they would have been stripped down and recycled. They are living in the age of the Replicator, Insert matter receive item.

The point is they might have one or two museum pieces floating around, maybe even semi operational, I just don't see them having kept hundreds of these things just in case.

If they made an add on to this game which was set back in the past than I can see flying a Connie as a top of the line ship, but they didn't they set it beyond TNG.