Lt. Commander
# 1 true to scale bridges
05-16-2012, 03:51 AM
i read / understand that it is necessary for some combat areas to be spacious and enormously large. if they were true to scale - they d simply not offer the room to fight and / or cause pathing problems i guess.

what i wonder is - ... is there a reason the BRIDGES of our ships are also waay too large? - they are no combat areas ... and they simply "feel" wrong.

i am not a trekkie or have watched many of the shows - but the ones i watched displayed even the galaxy bridge to be much smaller than the ones we have ingame. - defiant bridge with its hologram com system was even smaller - which fit the ship purpose.

when i played the mission "facility 40andsomething" ( former FE ) ... the interior was a true revelation! - finally a TRUE to scale enviroment - my avatar felt MUCH more fitting in than in the hangarlike interiors of hte older content.

i know there is like no chance to revise all the old bridges ( although its mostly the same mesh with different colouring ) - but maybe new bridges could be made true to the ships scale.

any thoughts on that?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-16-2012, 06:22 AM
I purchased the TOS bridge and it is to scale, so I don't understand why the TNG Galaxy bridge is so humongous. They should be to scale. Certainly, this is not a dealbreaker, but it confounds me.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-16-2012, 03:03 PM
It's been discussed a number of times previously. The response has been something to do with visual clipping.

Dang if I know....
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-16-2012, 05:19 PM
The TOS Bridge and a few others are the smallest the bridges can be because of the free camera movement and the position of the camera behind and above the player. Corridors and room heights could be scaled down some if they could lock the camera to certain positions, but then you'd get a bunch of people complaining about the camera being locked at a certain angle/height.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-16-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd rather have cameras locked at a certain angle / height than feel like a midget in a giant bridge / corridor.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
The TOS Bridge and a few others are the smallest the bridges can be because of the free camera movement and the position of the camera behind and above the player. Corridors and room heights could be scaled down some if they could lock the camera to certain positions, but then you'd get a bunch of people complaining about the camera being locked at a certain angle/height.
But can;t you lock the camera in all of the bridges? That's what confuses me
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Could it be set so that your camera's locked in shooter mode when you're on the bridge, so the camera's a lot closer to the character (so clipping isn't an issue)?

There'd probably be more complaints then, though...
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalkarja
what i wonder is - ... is there a reason the BRIDGES of our ships are also waay too large? - they are no combat areas ... and they simply "feel" wrong.
There are a (very) few missions that do have combat take place on bridges. Plus, of course, anybody could make a foundry mission that has combat on a bridge.

That being said, they should be smaller overall.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-17-2012, 01:54 AM
hell I wish they would just lock it into a first person mode like the shooter mode and then just remove the reticle on the hud and it'd be all good to go. That would be amazing and would definitely add to the immersion, can't imagine anyone would complain if they did that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-17-2012, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
hell I wish they would just lock it into a first person mode like the shooter mode and then just remove the reticle on the hud and it'd be all good to go. That would be amazing and would definitely add to the immersion, can't imagine anyone would complain if they did that.
I'd agree, if it weren't for the BOFFs. If you needed to actually turn around to place BOFF positions with the way point markers, you'd be opening yourself up for flank attacks.