Lt. Commander
This is another thing that needs to go away.

I thought if I gave Cryptic enough time, they'd implement the system fully.

But apparently not.

In the Devidian episode with the mad hologram, they introduced a new way for BOFFs to speak to you, their comments popup in the chat box and/or a little icon near it when they have important mission updates to deliver.

I was quite excited by this and was expecting it was an experiment to test it before full-scale implementation.
So I waited.
And waited.
And continued to wait.

I'm getting quite irritated with this screen popping up at the most innappropriate moments, because it's been scripted to appear when event X happens, regardless of whatever you might be doing at the time.

I'll use Cure Ground as an example, since it's the one I'm most familiar with:

Fighting Borg Drones.
<popup>. You have failed the Optional Objective! You can still continue with the main mission.

About to target Borg Drone.
<popup>. That's the last Klingon lifesign in the area. The remaining one must be Armek.

I'm getting quite frustrated with these screens appearing during combat or when I'm about to commence combat!

They should introduce a function that if you're on a combat map (i.e: one with enemies to fight!), the BOFFs deliver their messages in an unobstrusive manner, like they do in the Devidian mission.
It's extremely unproffessional and riduculous to see these missions interuppting your gameplay during combat.
Would you jump up in front of your Captain and wave at them to say "Hey! Look at me!" while they're in battle?
No, you wouldn't, you'd speak to them over comms or wait until they were finished.

And people have made the counter-argument that Red Alert status cancels this screen.
I can assure you this is not the case.
Many times, this screen appears during combat.

I seriously think it's time Cryptic reexamined this issue!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Maybe just have them appear at the top of the screen or somewhere out of the way. I quite like the feature.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Maybe just have them appear at the top of the screen or somewhere out of the way. I quite like the feature.
Good idea but this wont work on systems set for 800 x 600 as the popups useually take up all the space on the screen
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-26-2012, 03:50 PM
At least being able to dismiss them would be a plus...
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
This is another thing that needs to go away.

I thought if I gave Cryptic enough time, they'd implement the system fully.

But apparently not.

In the Devidian episode with the mad hologram, they introduced a new way for BOFFs to speak to you, their comments popup in the chat box and/or a little icon near it when they have important mission updates to deliver.

I was quite excited by this and was expecting it was an experiment to test it before full-scale implementation.
So I waited.
And waited.
And continued to wait.

I'm getting quite irritated with this screen popping up at the most innappropriate moments, because it's been scripted to appear when event X happens, regardless of whatever you might be doing at the time.

I'll use Cure Ground as an example, since it's the one I'm most familiar with:

Fighting Borg Drones.
<popup>. You have failed the Optional Objective! You can still continue with the main mission.

About to target Borg Drone.
<popup>. That's the last Klingon lifesign in the area. The remaining one must be Armek.

I'm getting quite frustrated with these screens appearing during combat or when I'm about to commence combat!

They should introduce a function that if you're on a combat map (i.e: one with enemies to fight!), the BOFFs deliver their messages in an unobstrusive manner, like they do in the Devidian mission.
It's extremely unproffessional and riduculous to see these missions interuppting your gameplay during combat.
Would you jump up in front of your Captain and wave at them to say "Hey! Look at me!" while they're in battle?
No, you wouldn't, you'd speak to them over comms or wait until they were finished.

And people have made the counter-argument that Red Alert status cancels this screen.
I can assure you this is not the case.
Many times, this screen appears during combat.

I seriously think it's time Cryptic reexamined this issue!

Its especially fun when you've just taken downa tactical cube and are wthin 2km before the secondary explosion.

Nothing like being brought up to speed by your crew only to have a Cubes warp core breech rip your hull open.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-30-2012, 05:28 AM
I am a little troubled by how inconsistent the UI is in this regard -- why are some messages relegated to unobtrusive pop-ups in the notification areas while others are in the default, large "I'm talking to you" dialogue? If I haven't initiated the conversation / it's just boffs tellin' me the same old thing they say every STF, I would love it to just pop-up. Hell, some of it does (e.g. some of the boff chatter after you kill the cube/sphere group at the start of Infected Space) already!
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-30-2012, 05:54 AM
Cryptic won't ever do this. It's actually something important...

All they ever choose to do is nerf things players love, add desperately needed content into timeslots, add more grind to anything they can think of, or fill whole areas of the galaxy with crazy spam boxes. This is not a game, it's a giant trash can of spamboxes in space - the endless annoying popups are just more trash.

hmmm did i just say that? oops. that was meant to be my inside voice...
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
hi all u can go 2 options n change it so your ship does not stop when u get a message from your boffs but it means that it does not stop in sector space any more when u go 2 a system. sorry cant remember if its in main options or chat options :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-31-2012, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't want them to do this with every BOff popup in the game, but it would be a smart thing to do for STFs at least, considering how fast paced and time sensitive they are.

Would also be really really nice if Foundry authors had the ability to make them happen in their missions too. Just sayin'.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Yes, I am familiar with that option.

It's keep moving dialogue something.

But it doesn't exactly help if you can't see where your ship is going!

They should do a compromise, to satisfy both groups, make it an option or something in settings.

Something like:

Enable Boff Comment Screen O YES O NO

If you set it to NO, then you won't ever see it again.

Or if you like it, set it to YES.

That way, we all win.

But manditorily forcing it on all players, especially when some of us don't want it is a bad idea.