Lt. Commander
# 1 Posts about looking for fleets
06-14-2012, 08:30 AM
I have noticed a lot of threads asking for a fleet. I understand that a few people do it, but as so many people do it, I wonder:
Do those people actually look through this forum? Or are they just lazy, and want to make a post instead of looking?

I would appreciate feedback on this. I may be totally confused, but I would be interested in other people's thoughts on this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Folks like being spoonfed.

Also some folks have the opinion that whatever they;re asking, they're the first to ask for it. (That's usually why the search function doesn't get used that often) Or they like to have a fresh answer. Or an answer directly for themselves and no one else.

I've been doing tech support for *cough* years and have helped on many of the top level support forums. Millions have been spent on studies on interaction with support and how to make things better and easier.

Almost always comes down to a single reason.

People are f'ing lazy.

It takes two seconds to throw up a post asking to be spoonfed. Takes more than that to do your own research.

Not everybody is like that of course. And some support forums have 96 pixel text saying that folks are expected to do a search first before posting and could face problems if they don't.

I worked with a webhost once that charged a $5 fee for submitting a question that was already answered in the forums or as a FAQ. The money was donated to a charity every month and there was a joke thread where folks willingly asked a dumb question just to chip in the five bucks so the webhost didn;t take the money and users learned very quickly what was expected of them. (The fee was never enforced. They also had a 6 month 90%+ retention rate which is unheard of in the industry so they were doing something right.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
I agree with the spoonfed statement however the Fleet threads are very far down on the forum page, a position where people dont need to scroll down to see the Starbase 1, etc forum would help
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Agent_Fox_Mulder
I agree with the spoonfed statement however the Fleet threads are very far down on the forum page, a position where people dont need to scroll down to see the Starbase 1, etc forum would help
Maybe I;m a bit confused but those fleet request threads are being posted correctly into the Starbase One subforum.

I;m not seeing folks being unable to find that subforum as an issue since they are posting to the correct place.

I thought of another reason. it could be just a fleet trying to drum up support for their fleet. Have a f2p player make a request on what fleet that they should join and have a [deep voice now]responsible and trust worth fleet officer post a suggestion that they should look at their fleet[/deep voice].

You never know.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
But they have to scroll down! Scrolling is hard! Reading is harder!
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
But they are getting there. That's why I'm asking. I don;t see the issue in this specific case.

I think any poster who asks a question that's been asked more than five times owes every one on the forums at that time 1m in ecs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Once you point them in the correct direction it wont be an issue, they will spend the extra time to scroll.

Why is Fleet recruitment below the Foundry and Support? Personally for a main page the Feedback section looks too large IMHO but at the very least Fleet Recruitment should be above the Foundry. If you eliminate the scrolling aspect then there is no excuse for not being able to find it and any further such posts would more likely be the fake posts to drum up more recruits as you say.

Im no web designer but I do know that on a main page you want to eliminate scrolling as much as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Agent_Fox_Mulder
Im no web designer but I do know that on a main page you want to eliminate scrolling as much as possible.
Agreed but then you get into the issue of having too much information above the fold. That leads to information overload and that's a mid level nono for design work.

The big header image and the breadcrumb section don;t help either since that's half of the available screen real estate. At least on my screen.

When I look at the front of the page, I can see as far down as Release Notes. I have to scroll for everything. I do see thing that the page continues downward. I would hope scrolling (or paging down at least) would be assumed.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
Sorry, I didn't make it to your post. What was that?
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-14-2012, 11:46 PM
In my experience, the problem is that no matter how much searching you do, no matter how much time you spend reading posts and researching, you end up - after all that research - discovering that the information you're looking for IS NOT THERE, so, out of frustration and disgust, you post a question that can basically be summed up as "why isn't anyone answering these basic questions that would resolve these problems and reduce the number of people posting 'looking for fleet' posts?" And then, of course, you get insulting, rude, sometimes even hostile responses, often from the very people whose posts forced you to ask the frustrated questions in the first place.