Lt. Commander
# 21
05-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Iíd like to see the lock boxes gone completely from STO; however, I know that will never happen.

What Cryptic could try to do is make the boxes less visible to the players in general.

Remove the lock boxes has in game drops and sell them in the C-Store for the 100 Cryptic Points that they charge for the Mater Keys now and then deactivate the master keys make the boxes function like the Holiday Gift boxes functioned has in once you buy one they can be opened without a key.

Then just have a message that pops up each time the player logs in reminding them that the boxes are available for purchase in the C-Store.

I know that Cryptic wonít do what I suggested above because they need to beat us over the heads with these lock boxes and try to capitalize on those among us that have heavy bank accounts or poor impulse spending control.

The writer of that article may be bias against Cryptic but that does not make the points brought up the article any less true.

Cryptic has opened Pandoraís Lock Box and thereís no closing it now.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
Yikes, this is getting rather heated. I got the impression that TeriLynn's articles were pretty neutral in tone; what triggered all this from Massively?
The fact that most F2P MMOs Western or otherwise (including STO and CO) are employing lockbox paradigms these days including MMOs like DCUO and LoTRO (Hell, LoTRO made an anniversary even centered aournd their version of lockboxes.) So, the article isn't just pointing fingers at Cryptic, but every F2P MMO that uses the paradigm.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
I highly doubt that western lawmakers and prosecutors are going to sit idly by forever while these companies blatantly violate their gambling regulations. But, Perfect World is certainly going to try to milk every penny out of gamblers that they can before the law catches up to them, which might take years.

Even ignoring the legal issues, the boxes just are not fun at all. I do not oppose gambling, but playing poker or blackjack for money is a pretty different experience than plucking down hundreds of dollars for a chance at a few hundred rare pixels. I want to do my real-money gambling in Vegas, not Risa, thank you very much.

Even once the government cracks down on this, there are still ways to run this kind of scheme and get away with it. They will just have to be more upfront about the real costs associated with it, which probably will mean less revenue.

For instance, they can have lockboxes for whatever the latest promotional item is, say the Jem'Hadar ship, drop very, very infrequently. If you get one of these drops, you can trade it to another player or pay $150 (or however much they are making on average right now) in the c-store to unlock it. It would still be rare. It would still bring in the same amount of revenue per ship, but at least the gambling aspect would be from gameplay instead of a real-money lotto and people would not be deluded into the gambler's fallacy of "getting lucky".
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM
"Never place customer loyalty and satisfaction before profit."
"Ask not what you can do for your profits, but what your profits can do for you."
"Feed your greed, but not enough to choke it."
"Keep your lies consistent."
"Sell the sizzle, not the steak."
"Not even dishonesty can tarnish the shine of profit."
"Let others keep their reputation. You keep their money."
"Customers are like razor-toothed gree worms. They can be succulent, but sometimes they bite back."
"Employees are the rungs on the ladder of success, don't hesitate to step on them."
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-17-2012, 11:09 AM
From the article:

Quote:
Every major MMO I've seen that put [lockboxes] in has suffered a constant forum barrage of angry players yelling at the company
Ah, come on. They like it when we yell at them. It's the most consistent form of player feedback since the days of beta. They seem to enjoy making all of us angry.

What would we do on these forums if they didn't constantly give us a reason to yell at them?
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake477
What do you bet massively planted players in the game to confirm of what we have been saying in the forums.
(snip)
So my point is that this anger could be from personal experience since it sounds like they are a player i.e. one of us and a not an impartial reporter
Errr ..., they work for a MMO gaming site .
Is it too hard to imagine that they play ... I dunno ... MMO's ?

For proof , I offer an article by the same author (Justin Olivetti) , titled "Why I Play: Star Trek Online" -- penned just one month ago , where he fawns about his "softness for Cryptic" .
A month before that , Massively's own STO columnist Terilynn Shull traveled to Cryptic to cover STO .

Now I dunno if something happened , or if someone at Massively "woke up" , or if this has anything to do with the unusual consensus between the STO podcasts of late .
It could very well be aimed at STO because the author is a fan -- and STO is used as an example of a more serious problem across the MMO industry .

All I know is that in a month or so , we will either see a fawning report on Massively about Season 6 of STO , or we wont .
Either will be telling .
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
1 lobi - 10 cents on average (you get about 10 per box)
Not. Even. Close.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
I've been saving every tenth box that I acquire while playing the game in my Fleet Bank. (since the Cardassian LB's came out)

Don't know why..., I can't afford to open them...

After reading that article... I guess it's time to stop being subconsciously manipulated..

I went in game a little while ago and deleted them all.

I don't really need a D'Kora, never got a Jem-Bug and spent close to $200 dollars to get three Cardie's...

I bought the Cat Carrier last night using this months stipend as a discount.

I'll probably only use it a few times, cause I prefer the Excelsior and Oddy...

...but at least I don't feel like I was manipulated into spending too much to get it.
This^^^

I keep a few of the boxes just in case, but most get deleted. Though I may follow your lead and just get rid of them once and for all

This is the ONLY game I play that has lockboxes in it, and that is because it is Star Trek and nothing more.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHell View Post
This^^^

I keep a few of the boxes just in case, but most get deleted. Though I may follow your lead and just get rid of them once and for all

This is the ONLY game I play that has lockboxes in it, and that is because it is Star Trek and nothing more.
I donít store any lock boxes unless they are gold colored and I have not seen a gold lock box in weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-17-2012, 11:53 AM
I "need" every lockbox. Then discard all lockbox/mystery box I come across. Every last one of them.
I never buy a key or spend 1 cent direct or indirect on this kind of swindle.
Plain and simple solution, I think.