Lt. Commander
# 1 Plasma Guns Setup
05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi all! I recently reached Lt Commander for the very first time! From reading the forums and STO Wiki I have learned A LOT about expose and exploit.

At my level, I was thinking of trying out an all plasma split beam/blast assault weapons set for my away team. My thinking is that I would be able to expose multiple targets at 30m and then have multiple(2 or 3) people use the split beam to exploit after the expose, thus getting multiple exploit damage at max distance. While all this is going on, I would be able to have LOTS of chances via AOE to proc the plasma dot?

Is this thinking okay? What did you do at lower levels that I can learn from?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-17-2012, 03:10 PM
The Expose/Exploit system has a few problems, as I currently understand them:

1.) Bridge Officer AI can be directed only slightly more than carrier pets, and is occasionally just as bad. Relying on them to expose or exploit is going to leave you with problems.

2.) Secondary attacks, the ones with Expose/Exploit chances, are too infrequent to rely upon, especially given that Expose isn't guaranteed.

3.) Unless you're fighting elite enemies or on a higher difficulty rating, you don't need the damage boost from Expose/Exploit anyway, since most enemies fall to just a few volleys from even the lower-DPS weapons... in fact, Aim is probably the most overlooked damage boost you can get.

However, Exploit is a potential source of massive damage, and it's the reason why I like the endgame M.A.C.O. set so much: it has a passive ability that Exposes enemies that attack your team, then provides you with one of the strongest Exploit weapons in the game along with it.

To get the most out of Expose chances, I'd recommend looking at your Bridge Officer and Kit abilities. Most of the attack and debuff abilities have expose chances, and several of the buffs grant a retributive Expose when attacked.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorvalentine
Is this thinking okay?
Only if you're assuming the Boffs will manage to not fall through the floor/ run back to the start of the map/ run headlong into the mobs long enough to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Thans peeps. Does that mean you rely on kit and boff abilities to expose and then equip everyone with exploit weapons?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Actually, I usually just equip my Boffs with whatever's handy (mostly sets that I don't use on my Captain) and don't worry about expose/exploit too much, while using primarily Sniper Rifles on my Captain due to their utility against Borg and high damage for when I do get an Exposed target that isn't a mook that dies in another volley anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Trying to get exploits from boffs if very hit n miss. I'd say your best bet was to equip your boffs with lots of expose abilities and expose weapons, while you carry two exploit weapons to exploit their exposes.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McItoshi View Post
Trying to get exploits from boffs if very hit n miss. I'd say your best bet was to equip your boffs with lots of expose abilities and expose weapons, while you carry two exploit weapons to exploit their exposes.

I get a lot more exposes on my Klingon faction than fed. I think that's because I have a Gorn with a Batleth going to town.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
I think that's because I have a Gorn with a Batleth going to town.
^^ This.

My Gorn Tac Captain and 2 Gorn Tac BOFFs biting and slashing with some Batleth's = OW. May not be as DPS intensive as other setups but sure is a ****ton of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Probably yes, you'd be better off kitting your BOffs out to Expose, I agree. Ages ago I set up my BOffs on my main to capitalize on their skills on a per officer basis (giving Exploit weapons to BOffs with bonus exploit damage, Expose weapons to characters with bonuses to Expose) but admittedly, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I know I've seen my BOffs combo every now and again but it's pretty rare -- I'm pretty sure the AI doesn't take Expose status into account when it chooses to use secondary attacks. Or if it does, it certainly isn't noticeable.

I'd say if anything, kit at most one of your BOffs with an area effect Expoit attack, and the rest with Exposes. Very probably, you're the one who will have to personally handle making use of Exposes in a tactical fashion anyway. There are also specific BOff skills to look at that give Expose chances as well, if you really want your BOffs to generate more Exposes for you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-25-2012, 04:56 AM
I normally don't use the epose/exploit tactic as most my BO's tend to throw a plasma grenade before I am in range to fire even if I take point. I like using Split beam weapons or the overcharged sniper rifle as a first hit then use my jem hadar assault rifle to mop up the remainder