Lt. Commander
Hello Captains!

I know many of you had some questions regarding the Foundry’s EULA, so I am hoping that this thread will help point you in the right direction.

First, and foremost, the EULA has been provided to serve as a guideline for what you can use in/ do with the Foundry. Think of the Foundry as a pool you can swim in, and the EULA is the lifeguard that watches over it. Second, while the information below is being provided to you, please note that this can change at any time based on a variety of reasons, and you must always refer to the EULA for answers to your questions.

Here is some information in response to some of the questions I have seen come up most often:
1. Can we use the names of ships from any show/ movie? For example, show a Defiant class vessel called U.S.S. Defiant, or a Galaxy class ship named U.S.S. Enterprise? Not talking about showing anyone from the crew, just the ship itself.
Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of “Star Trek Properties”.
2. Can we use old names of ships on new ships, but change the letter in the registry number? For instance, U.S.S. Enterprise G.
Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of “Star Trek Properties”.
3. Are we allowed to use the character of Dax, with the symbiont in a new host?
4. Can I put a member of the Q species in my mission, as long as it is not “John de Lancie Q”?
5. Can we mention a person, but not show them? For instance, mention “James T. Kirk did XYZ…”
6. I know we cannot portray actors, but what about characters who were in costumes and make-up and you cannot tell who the actor was?
7. Could I write a mission in which the player opens a channel and has a long, drawn out conversation with Picard? I would use a costume of a ship to represent him in the popup dialog.
8. Can we include Cryptic-made characters and stories in our Foundry missions? (e.g. the Admiral on Earth Spacedock, or the new Captain of the Enterprise-F)
9. Can we use past stories from Star Trek and continue the story and build on the plot?
10. What about characters from a show/movie who were mentioned but never shown? (Ie. Felix, who designed Vic's lounge. Harry Kim's neighbor on Voyager.)
11. Can we show completely original characters implied to have met or served with canon characters? (Ie, say I want to do a sequel to "Skin of Evil" and I invent a junior security officer who served on the 1701-D under Tasha Yar. This could extend to stuff like Barclay's daughter.)
Also, please note that this is not a Q&A thread  This thread is just to shed some light on the most commonly asked questions. If you have additional questions, please refer to the EULA here.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Wow, this is nice and much more lenient than I feared.

This one is interesting:

Quote:
6. I know we cannot portray actors, but what about characters who were in costumes and make-up and you cannot tell who the actor was?

Does that mean we can use Morn? At what point, does the actor become recognizable? We can see Morn's eyes. Does he resemble the actor if we can see more than his eyes?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Also, can we use characters whose actor-likeness is already in STO: Leeta, Worf, McCoy? If Cryptic can use actor-likeness rights, can we also use them in Foundry missions?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-18-2012, 06:40 PM
From the EULA:

Quote:
You may not use New Game Materials to depict a likeness of any real person (historical or present day).
So, say, holographic Abe Lincoln would be out of the question? Historical public figures are generally fair use for fiction.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
From the EULA:

So, say, holographic Abe Lincoln would be out of the question? Historical public figures are generally fair use for fiction.
Meh, I'd say go for it. Space Lincoln is canon. Just don't use Hitler.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
you use that sentence structure, i dont think it mean what you think it means
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks. These are indeed commonly asked questions, where people have agonized a lot about in th past. And the answers are probably a relief for most authors.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
4. Can I put a member of the Q species in my mission, as long as it is not “John de Lancie Q”?
Point of clarification. Q is a particularly annoying issue.

Q (the one we knew in all those episodes, portrayed by John de Lancie), showed an almost godlike ability to alter reality. He changed his clothes all the time, but only once did he appear as something other than human. While I understand that there were several other "Q's" shown.. each with a recognizable actor.. the species was known to be able to change into "any form required".

Is it acceptable to have a character that looks nothing like John de Lancie CLAIMING to BE the Q we knew from Encounter at Farpoint??
"Q! THE Q? ...that harassed Picard and Sisko and Janeway? THAT Q? He was most definitely male, and you're a woman. Why are you here? Now? And why Me?"

"Well yes. I've decided to be female for a change, you know.. just to see how the other half lives... and why not you? Picard has become such a bore in his old age."
This also extends to the issue of "can we have James Kirk show up in our mission if he looks nothing like William Shatner?" which opens up the old can of worms of "how different is different enough?" (a borg in a maroon monster, for example).

Quote:
How far does this go? Morn is acceptable, but what about Worf, or Odo? Comparing the actor and character side-by-side, fans often are amazed at how different the actors look from their characters.How many of us were surprised to learn that Maltz from Star Trek III was actually Night Court's John Larroquette? Aside from their distinctive voices, I don't think anyone would know if a character looking like Grand Nagus Zek looked anything like Wallace Shawn, or a character looking dead-on like Nog looked anything like Aron Eisenberg.

As an example.. Compare Morta (played by Michael Snyder) with Quark (played by Armin Shimerman) Very similar characters, who look nothing alike out of makeup.

Could you say with any certainty that a character I made look like Quark, looked like Armin Shimerman?

Previously, Devs have said that we couldn't use ANY character that actually showed up on screen in the franchise properties.. in any way that had us assigning their identity to any asset.. aka.. a borg showing up claiming to be Janeway.. or a Klingon claiming to be Riker, surgically altered for a secret mission. No Badly programmed hologram Barclays, etc.. if there ever was an actor who portrayed the character, we were told.. we weren't allowed to give that character a "voice" in our stories. Either over comms, or in person, or in the body of any person or object.

Has this changed?

Quote:
8. Can we include Cryptic-made characters and stories in our Foundry missions? (e.g. the Admiral on Earth Spacedock, or the new Captain of the Enterprise-F)
We were previously, specifically, told that this was disallowed. Has this policy changed?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-19-2012, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdraftbrn View Post
you use that sentence structure, i dont think it mean what you think it means
It may not be the most elegant way of writing it but whats the problem you see with the sentance?

Nothing in the EULA prevents this - There is no legal barrier to stop you from doing the above mentioned action

Please refer to the EULA for a list of “Star Trek Properties - work within the guidelines of the properties owned by CBS. ie dont use harry potter in your mission or have the USS optimus prime save the day.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix

We were previously, specifically, told that this was disallowed. Has this policy changed?
well they never actually said we could not use their own characters. it was more of a 'we prefer you not to'. that was probably them playing it safe. if the clarification is we can use them then thats the answer.