Lt. Commander
# 1 Beam Arrays
05-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I was wondering how come the anti proton beams stf version XI has a high damage output and dps compared to other beam arrays? I thought all beam arrays have the same dpv and dps. Normally I use mark 12s phaser beams and i noticed when i switched to may anti protons mark XI has higher dpv and dps? Could someone confirm this please and also tell me which single beam array not dual has the highest dps?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Hi,

I was wondering how come the anti proton beams stf version XI has a high damage output and dps compared to other beam arrays? I thought all beam arrays have the same dpv and dps. Normally I use mark 12s phaser beams and i noticed when i switched to may anti protons mark XI has higher dpv and dps? Could someone confirm this please and also tell me which single beam array not dual has the highest dps?
Well, I'm not an expert on the game, but I have looked at various beam arrays as well. The thing to keep in mind is that different damage types have different effects. Some have straight damage while others have additional damage procs or critical hit mods. The damage stats may be different in order to equilize the total damage output of similar beam arrays that work differently, splitting the total DPS between straight up damage and the secondary effect damage (if any). In addition, the enemies you fight may take damage differently as they might have their own resistances against certain damage types, but not others.

I'll let others who have more experience chime in, but my own reading of beam arrays is that they all do about the same -total- damage, even though they might do that damage in different ways / portions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-19-2012, 05:57 PM
post a screenshot so we can see
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-19-2012, 07:13 PM
pure dps, the AP will win out to to the bonus to crit rather than a proc. secondary effects, the phaser wins due to random systems shutdowns.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2012, 04:19 AM
interesting, I thought the AP would have the same DPS as the rest of the beam arrays? So the beam array with high DPS, minus the dual, is AP followed by phaser? With the phaser ability to knock a random system offline it rare I find it. No matter how many phaser beams you have the only time I seen the ability kick in with when the target has no shields left or at all. While all the other beam array special ability works regardless of shield up or down e.g. disruptor, plasma beams.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Like the above poster said, AP gets a bonus simply because it's proc is a boost to critical damage. This is particularly pronounced with [Borg] gear since at MK x-xii you lose one modifier simply for a 7.5% chance at bonus damage to BORG NPCs. APs dodge this by effectively keeping an additional modifier so-to-speak, albeit [CritD].
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
off the top of my head, phaser hav 5% chance to ko a subsystem for several seconds. 3 chances per beam array fired. On a broadsider you have between 4-8 beams going off depending on specific build.

Something is going to be disabled, and quickly. if a cube loses engines aux or weapons for a few seconds, chances are you will not notice. but even if it is one of those non shield systems, it will be advantagous for you. More in pvp than stf, but it is still considerable in stfs v. the tac cubes.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoellefeuer
off the top of my head, phaser hav 5% chance to ko a subsystem for several seconds. 3 chances per beam array fired. On a broadsider you have between 4-8 beams going off depending on specific build.

Something is going to be disabled, and quickly. if a cube loses engines aux or weapons for a few seconds, chances are you will not notice. but even if it is one of those non shield systems, it will be advantagous for you. More in pvp than stf, but it is still considerable in stfs v. the tac cubes.
It's 2.5% per shot. Except for the Polarized Tetryon and Antiproton weapons, all the weapon types have a 2.5% proc rate, though hybrid beams have two separate procs. Polarized Tetryon has a 10% proc rate of the normal Tetryon proc, and Antiproton weapons simply ramp up your critical hit damage, effectively giving them a proc rate equal to your critical hit rate.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-21-2012, 03:11 PM
If I had 4 phaser beams instead of 6 will the beams be stronger because of less beams being used?
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
If I had 4 phaser beams instead of 6 will the beams be stronger because of less beams being used?
It depends on your weapon power level and your ability to compensate for the drain. 4-6 is the optimal balance point that the system was designed around, but 6-8 is stronger if you can deal with the power requirements. More beams means more crit and proc chances, however.