Lt. Commander
# 1 Scott's Romulans
05-19-2012, 09:10 PM
I was playing Night of the Comet, when I noticed that Scott was talking about encountering a bunch of Romulans. The problem is that this mission takes place in 2265, possibly even a few months before Scott was assigned to the Enterprise. Scott wouldn't have encountered (or indeed known much about) Romulans before 2266, when the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" takes place, since the Federation hadn't had contact with the Romulans since about 2160 and didn't even know what they looked like until 2266. I think this reference should be fixed, as it mars an otherwise excellent mission.

Note: Now that I think about it, I probably should have put this one somewhere else since Imperials can play this one, too.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-19-2012, 10:51 PM
The mission honestly doesn't mention any concern about the KDF players being to walk around looking the way they are. Thier ships get disguised just as Fed players do, but nobody cares about their personal appearances.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Well, they sort of just phoned it in with all of the KDF implementations of fed missions, so that's not really unique to this situation.

Didn't that dumb Enterprise show try to introduce Romulans even earlier?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized
Well, they sort of just phoned it in with all of the KDF implementations of fed missions, so that's not really unique to this situation.

Didn't that dumb Enterprise show try to introduce Romulans even earlier?
Introduced may be a bit harsh.

They had two encounters with them, and in neither episode they had direct face to face contact with them.

Also remember that TOS mentioned a war long before that particular series takes place (in fact about 10 years after the launch of "ST:Enterprise", so it makes sence that Enterprise would have had some sort of interaction with them.

And theres nothing dumb about Enterprise... It's canon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Hey he said my uniform was strange (its exactly the same as his own)
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
The mission honestly doesn't mention any concern about the KDF players being to walk around looking the way they are. Thier ships get disguised just as Fed players do, but nobody cares about their personal appearances.
The mission contact specifically said that no one in the 2260's would recognize a Klingon from 2509, so to not even worry about disguising yourself. Of course, that also presents a few other problems, such as having a Gorn with you making Federation first contact with the Gorn occur before "Arena." I guess you could assume that with all the commotion going on, the people on the station wouldn't be concerned with keeping track of people who looked like species they didn't recognize, as the floating ghost monsters would likely have most of their attention, but that's still flimsy. Even taking a Ferengi with you would be pretty odd to them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2012, 11:40 AM
It's just bad writing on the part of the writing staff. Every Federation mission and all dialogue is from a human's point of view. Every KDF mission and dialogue is from a Klingon's point of view (and if you have an Orion tactical officer, they talk like a Klingon too during mission briefing).

I remember one mission criticizing me for my choice to be a meat eater. Okay, fair enough, my character was human. But if I were playing a Vulcan, who are strictly vegetarians, it just wouldn't make sense.

That bad writing has extended itself into pretty much every Featured Episode (with the exception of the Romulan ones) and most of the content that was added after the game launched. Scotty saying something about a bunch of Romulans is just one of those examples, where no care has been taken with the IP and the timeline.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
And theres nothing dumb about Enterprise... It's canon.
I'm totally down with it being canon. That doesn't prevent me from having a negative opinion of the show.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkip View Post
It's just bad writing on the part of the writing staff. Every Federation mission and all dialogue is from a human's point of view. Every KDF mission and dialogue is from a Klingon's point of view (and if you have an Orion tactical officer, they talk like a Klingon too during mission briefing).

I remember one mission criticizing me for my choice to be a meat eater. Okay, fair enough, my character was human. But if I were playing a Vulcan, who are strictly vegetarians, it just wouldn't make sense.

That bad writing has extended itself into pretty much every Featured Episode (with the exception of the Romulan ones) and most of the content that was added after the game launched. Scotty saying something about a bunch of Romulans is just one of those examples, where no care has been taken with the IP and the timeline.
I noticed that in some cases, the dialogue changes depending on certain things. For example, in the Vault, If I choose a type-8 instead of a Danube, my officer comments on my odd choice of an inferior vessel for the mission. I was wondering if you checked to see if the dialogue remains the same if you are a Vulcan.

The Vulcans have changed a bit since they first showed up. I remember Spock telling McCoy that Vulcans were spared from the imbibing of alcohol when McCoy offered some to him. Okay, Vulcans are teetotalers. Then we get to Voyager, with Tuvok mentioning Vulcan brandy. Apparently, something changed in the last century. I don't suppose it would be too weird for the vegetarian culture on Vulcan to have lapsed a bit in 30 or 40 years,

My justifications aside, the writing could be a bit better and I certainly see your point.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-21-2012, 04:12 PM
For the recent replay of these missions, I played it through with my Romulan (Alien) character. So I guess Scotty met one then, he just didn't know about it. :p