Lt. Commander
So being the wild 80's child sci-fi / space geek growing up, I used to love putting together the plastic model kits, as I'm sure most of you did as well. They are a hobby, art and recreation that has fallen out of style the past several years.

Having recently been forced onto medical disability because of issues with my back and the nerves in my legs I was trying to find something to occupy my time and my hands other than STO. With my lack of mobility and inability to stay in one position for very long, getting back into building models seemed like a great idea.

The two models I've always wanted, but never got were the Battlestar Galactica and the Excelsior Class/ Ent-B models. Recently I was able to find both of them online for a really good price and so I purchased them.

The Battlestar Galactica one was made by Mobius, is heavy weight plastic, fit together better than the blocks of the pyramids, and had little to no excess plastic to remove.

Now to the main topic of this thread, The Excelsior Class /ENT-B model made by good old reliable AMT. Right now the StarTrek.com Store has it for sale and you can find it slightly cheaper through Amazon......I beg you, save your money!!!

After spending 15 mins cleaning the excess plastic off of the first 4 parts you'll already want to throw it in the garbage, and remember that's only the first 15 mins. The plastic is extremely thin (thinner than any AMT model I've ever seen), and it would easily take 10-15 dollars if not more of model joint putty just to fill the gaping gaps in between parts. I think at this point I should point out that I've done every skill level of models except for the large wooden sailing ships with all the rigging and such, so it's not like I don't have experience in plastic models.

This model is a skill level 2, and the directions read like a snap together level 1 at best. They are arranged for the model to be built in sub assemblies and then final assembly. DO NOT follow this!! Instead extremely carefully examine the directions and then plan out your own method for assembly. The engineering hull (secondary hull) for example will need to be painted in the inside as well as the outside before assembly. This is because a large portion of the inside of the secondary hull will actually be seen.

All in all I want this to be a notice more than a deterring factor for anyone thinking about buying this model, but unless you're REALLY into wanting an Ent-B model I do suggest not buying it unless you're really ready to dive in and figure it all out on your own. it definitely isn't worth the 20+ dollars plus shipping.

If anyone has questions or needs help building this model please feel free to ask, or to share your horror stories with trying to build this thing.

PS: The plastic is VERY fragile and breaks easily under the slightest bit of pressure when trying to put parts together so be careful!!.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2012, 12:17 AM
I built that model back in middle school. I used to stare at it and imagine it was actually flying.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2012, 01:01 AM
I remember the first time I saw the Excelsior class / ENT-B the first thing that can to mind is WTF is that, the second thing was Where the F can I get one of those lol.

I always thought the TOS Ent was too fragile and wimpy looking and the ENT-D kind of reminds me of a whoopy cushion that's had most of the air let out and glued to some let over pieces, but the Excelsior / ENT-B just looks thick and tough and mean.

Do you remember if the one you built was such poor quality I know that's going back a ways and not exactly something someone in middle school thinks of, but just curious.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2012, 04:18 AM
It was fairly sturdy plastic compared to others I built. The Enterprise D, for example. Can't remember how many times I had to reglue the damned nacelles.

That was about 17 years ago. I'm surprised they still sell them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2012, 04:33 AM
I think AMT/Round Two are bring them back, according to their website they are releasing DS9 and a few other ship models this year;

Link --> http://round2models.com/models/star-trek

Another note I'm in Japan and recently got ahold of ENT-B/Lakota model and a few other ships but I haven't put them together cause I'm moving soon, :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retunred4good
It was fairly sturdy plastic compared to others I built. The Enterprise D, for example. Can't remember how many times I had to reglue the damned nacelles.

That was about 17 years ago. I'm surprised they still sell them.
That damn model was a nightmare. Funny and true story they actually used to sell Enterprise D model kits in the Smithsonian gift shop in DC.

Although that was quite a few years ago... ok who am I kidding it was a looooong time ago
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Sounds like my next purchase then.

I love difficult models and assembly instructions that don't work. Let the assembly instructions screw up I'll redneck engineer my own Excelsior perhaps with Borg deflector and Omega Set paintwork. Any broken plastic will have scorch marks added for simulated battle damage
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-21-2012, 05:13 AM
Well I finally finished the damn thing last night. I remember putting together snap together models as a kid that were better quality. I even had to adjust for a 1/4 almost 1/2 in gap in between pieces. Oh and the base has a ball and socket joint so when you mount the ship you can position it however you want to....well you would be able to if the model didn't constantly try to play dead. A little exacto knife love to the hole in the bottom for the socket joint, remove the socket joint and shove directly onto the pole. Also if you're looking directly at the front of the model, the right Nacelle tips inward if you securely fit it like it is designed to be. Also make sure you have some multiple sized rubber bands handy when you go to mount the nacelle struts and for the saucer.

All in all I love my Excelsior Class so it was almost worth the frustration and price, almost.

However there is one huge problem now. I have this epic showdown between my Excelsior Class and my Battlestar Galactica going on on my entertainment center....which one would win?? Think I might need a Romulan D'deriex (sp?) and the Andromeda Ascendant to help round out the epic battle lol
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
I distinctly remember the D'deridex being quite easy to assemble.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Ya, I always had trouble with all the AMT models I ever built. I think the plastic they used was just too thin, so it warped very easily, and at (relatively) low temperatures. I remember one of the D's I put together had a ton of problems with parts popping apart.