Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Luckily my Excelsior class has been finished for a couple of days now and haven't had any problems with it.

Oh for anyone that still has a problematic Ent-D or for anyone that decides they want one since you can still find them all over the place on the internet, there is a company that makes a "replacement" neck for the Ent-D that is supposed to correct the problem with the saucer falling off or the neck snapping from the weight.

They also have the conversion kit to turn an existing Ent-D model into the "all good things" Enterprise variant. The three nacelled Gal-X I think is the common name for it.

http://www.starfleet-models.com/Acce...nre/Star_Trek/
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
@ CptBang: I was looking around on Amazon.com trying to figure out a plan of models I might like to do in the next few months as I'll probably purchase and do 2 a month.

Anyways you had mentioned earlier that you're still waiting for the round 2 of the Ent-E.

Well According to this it has already been released

Hope that is the right one you were looking for/ waiting for. it does say it's a round 2 and I've seen round 2 Ent-E listed in several other places around the net as well.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Luckily my Excelsior class has been finished for a couple of days now and haven't had any problems with it.

Oh for anyone that still has a problematic Ent-D or for anyone that decides they want one since you can still find them all over the place on the internet, there is a company that makes a "replacement" neck for the Ent-D that is supposed to correct the problem with the saucer falling off or the neck snapping from the weight.

They also have the conversion kit to turn an existing Ent-D model into the "all good things" Enterprise variant. The three nacelled Gal-X I think is the common name for it.

http://www.starfleet-models.com/Acce...nre/Star_Trek/

May look into it. I been wanting to build another Galaxy and been wanting to build a Sovereign. Though currently the only ST model I have is a 1/500 scale Defiant. Im guessing at the moment I have some 60-70 models completed. The majority of them are naval warships (including 8 Iowa class 4 in WW2 config and 4 in 80's config, the Arizona, the Tennessee class refit versons, NoCar class, SoDak class, Bismark, Yamato, Prince of Whales...and many carriers and destroyers). The remainder are aircraft.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Reading this thread's given me a bit of a trip down memory lane, my run ins with AMT include the following crimes against precision:

Constitution class, TOS Enterprise.
3 piece adversary collection (D'deridex, D'kora and B'rel), to give them their due, the B'rel actually went together beautifully and had floppy wings.
Also, there was another "three mini snap togethers" collection, Romulan Bird of Prey, D7, and a baby Connie. These didn't fit together well either, but as a kid, they endured my making them moonlight as toys, so I'm not sure if it's AMT's rugged plastic or my mad poly-cement skills at work there, but they had no right to survive all they did.

Edit: And yes, I glued snap togethers, 'cos that's how I roll.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-10-2012, 04:34 AM
well new month, new set. This month is the AMT Round 2 D'deridex class warbird, 100th anniversary Titanic model (over 2' long), an SR-71 Blackbird with drone, and an Academy Space shuttle with transport.

Whoever the idiot is that thought it would be a good idea to paint the original studio model a greenish-gray and then light it with green lights during shooting over just painting it multi-toned green should be shot if they're not dead yet. 3 hours into painting the lower hull section and the 1st coat for the upper part of the lower hull is almost good enough to take the second coat. Gray plastic for something that one way or another ended up looking green...brilliant AMT, just brilliant.

Oh and incase anyone was wondering, the round 2 models are just as bad as the originals.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-10-2012, 05:18 AM
You'd have to pay through the nose for them , but if you want quality , the AMT stuff is not what you want

http://www.starship-models.com/en/startrek.html this is , though the prices make me cry
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Call me a masochist if you want, but despite all the complaining about the nightmarish quality of the AMT models I do enjoy the challenge of making them look good. If you put the psychotic amount of time into them you can actually make them look good.

I've looked at that site before and yeah the prices are insane, but there are also so parts on there that can really help with the AMT models too. For example there is a replacement neck piece for the ENT-D so that the saucer will properly stay in place without gluing it, and because the original neck piece tends to break.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-10-2012, 05:29 AM
The other trick I use is I don't use the normal testor paints other than for the really small details, instead I just use general acrylic paints for the local craft store and then just thin them a bit. Not only does this help to smooth the gaps, but if used along with a foam brush you can get some really good "weathered" effects to the paint so it actually looks like the ship hasn't just been sitting in space dock.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Pics or it didn't happen.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I repeat, Tumerboy, what warp factor did your model reach? 10?