Lt. Commander
# 1 Transwarp diminishes game
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Hear me out on this one. Ever since we got the power to transwarp everywhere, suddenly we're not boldly going, we're magically hopping.

I get the desire to transwarp to a time-gated event (e.g. Defera), but even then where's the feeling of racing across the galaxy to save these people in time.

Think about the first time you played the Vault (the FE mission, not the shuttle event). Remember seeing it in the distance and having it come closer?

I've lost a bit of the relation of where things are happenning as I'm leveling a Klingon alt because I just transwarp to the mission. At least Excelsior still had to travel to the location, it just put you in the correct sector block.

I know some people hate sector space with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. And I know the simple solution is to just not push the magic button next to the mission. But I wonder what the experience is for the people who never explored the sector blocks, finding the next mission.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
*Had Transwarp to Earth from the moment he completed the tutorial since the game first launched*

... I'm sorry, what is the problem again?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Not complaining about transwarp to ESD (other stations), but the relatively new option to transwarp to any mission you're currently on.

I think this is also a sub-rant about the STFs. I mentioned this somewhere else, but with the new changes, I don't have any of the story or location of the STF. I just go kill borg. No reference as to where or why. Just kill borg. At least with the Red Alerts I have a feeling that I'm defending a particular sector.

You lose that feeling of exploring the alpha centauri sector (as an example). Instead, you just hop from mission to mission, automagically.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-24-2012, 07:39 PM
And how many diplomacy missions did you grind out before getting access to any thing other than home? The first runthrough it might have been interesting, but by the hundredth your bridge crew is chanting "are we there yet?" Plus unless you own an Excelsior you can still only go to a few places that are only halfway to your final destination anyways. To me the only thing bad about Transwarp is that has a cooldown and limited options.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
some people are here to experience something that has a semblance of star trek, some people are here to play a space mmo, some people have lives and may not have time on a particular day to do things the old fashioned manual way. transwarp to mission starts is an extra for those who don't want to fly all over space and would rather just get on with things. they pay for that in EC costs.

if you think it takes you out of immersion then simply accept the mission and make your own way there. you don't have to use it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-24-2012, 10:25 PM
At one point you have to fly from Psi Velorium to DS9. That's six sectors or something like that. Who wants to sit there watch stars pass for all that time?
Lt. Commander
# 7 Trafic Cops..
05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
So dose asking to warp to another sector but thats Cryptic/PW
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370
At one point you have to fly from Psi Velorium to DS9. That's six sectors or something like that. Who wants to sit there watch stars pass for all that time?
You have a point.

Transwarp to me is a 'optional usage' thing. I don't use TW when I'm roleplaying with other TNG/TOS Captains, we actually fly half speed to simulate Warp 5-8 cruising.

But in a fleet event, Transwarp comes in useful to save everyone waiting time. Not going to wait until 'after dinner' to start the event.

Suffice to say, I don't like transwarping either, it kills the immersion. Even in games like Fallout 3, I manually walk everywhere.

But if I am short of time, TW/shortcuts it is. Use it or not, it's a game function to help everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Valiant, cruise the stars in your own pace, there isn't any hurry. Star Trek Online, and the way you experience it, should be unique to you. Turn off the chat, and have fun. Live Star Trek as you want.

Take care.

ADufaux.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Transwarp to me is a 'optional usage' thing. I don't use TW when I'm roleplaying with other TNG/TOS Captains, we actually fly half speed to simulate Warp 5-8 cruising.
Some time last year I decided to do something similar in Champions Online. My character was a regular guy taking advantage of the lax gun laws America enjoys by being armed to the teeth. That meant no travel powers.

This lasted until the first time I had to get to the other side of Millennium City by foot.

If someone wants to take the time needed to get to DS9 from the Vault at warp five to take a shower or go shopping, more power to them. I'll be happily using the transwarp.