Lt. Commander
# 111
05-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
In my opinion, this game gets a lot better when you avoid the forums. I know I have more fun in STO when I take a break from here for a while.

You may want to consider giving it a try first rather than leaving the game all together.
Ohhhh you see that is the problem. I absolutley am loving the game and there is no way I'm going to leave. Sure, there is always room for improvement, but that's true with everything alive. Progression is a main appeal to living, breathing, updating, MMO games as opposed to one-offs.

However, I am perplexed at how difficult it has been to find in-game comrads mature enough to voice concerns without flaming or losing their overall joy towards the game. I thought I would find it among Jupiter Force, (and there are a bunch of good peeps in there), but the negative is overshadowing the positive.

So, for now, I am flying solo and I will continue to look for like-minded individuals by also carefully reading these forums.
Lt. Commander
# 112
05-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Hello Captains,

To answer anazonda’s question from the title, in my opinion, I don’t think the community is losing its way While it may appear that the community is “fractured”, I think that we are sticking true to what Star Trek is all about.

Star Trek is about diversity, and through the diversity in this forum, we see many different viewpoints, ideas, feelings, and sides of feedback provided. We all have different feelings about some aspects of the Trek universe and this game, and while the majority may hold the same opinion on certain things sometimes, it's important to know that feedback of all types is welcomed and encouraged -- constructive discussion based on said feedback is also very important. I do agree that it is also imperative to be open to the ideas and feedback that others, who may not necessarily feel the same way as you do, provide and wish to communicate.

Your feedback is very important to the team and it does not fall on deaf ears. If you look at the patch notes since the game launched, you will see many, many updates that were based off feedback recieved from players. While the devs might not post in every thread created, they are listening and taking your feedback into consideration. We've set up individual sub-forums (e.g. Shipyards, Art, PvE, PvP etc) for a reason so that the teams that are working on those aspects know where to read feedback/ ideas about aspects they are working on -- this is why you see the mods and me moving threads to other locations; we don't want members of said teams to miss out on feedback about said aspect. This is also why you see threads that have the same topic merged together -- keeping the discussion in one location allows for the Devs to bookmark a thread and know that they can go back to it for continuous feedback, so they can spend more time making the game than trying to find different threads.

As anazonda states, "[we] want STO to succeed." I think this is a sentiment that we all (the community, the devs, and all other stakeholders) have in common. We love Star Trek, we love video games, and we are passionate about our beliefs. In the end, we are a community of players who love Star Trek Online and want to be able to "play this game in 10 years" and beyond that.

I'd like to end this post by sharing something that I said recently. In my interview with the Star Dispatch last week, I was asked what I was most proud of -- here is the exerpt: "I am very proud of the fact that the community is as active as it is. Our players are very passionate, which I think is important with an IP like Star Trek. Although there are many differing opinions on the forums, mostly everyone is constructive, friendly and care about their fellow players and this game." I strongly believe this and appreciate you all very much.

Also, I will pass along the feedback from this thread to the team

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 113
05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I think the game is currently focused toward and appealing to people who have played for 6 months or less.

At this point most of the Old-timers have grown weary of being told what content that they can play and when they can play it. I have personally logged in less in the last month or so than ever before with STO.

The Foundry spotlight is nice, and honestly, if Cryptic were making more story-progressive content I'd more than likely try more Foundry missions. However, the way things are now where the only new content in months has been placed behind a time-lock, I don't feel like being funneled into playing Foundry missions.

What they're trying to do is the equivalent of telling people to read ST fan fiction on some web board rather than read a novel by Peter David or some such. Some of the stuff is amazing and a small amount is as good or better than Cryptic's best work, but it's still not the same.

As many have said, we paid/are paying for professional game/content designers to make missions for us. We're not paying for access to their toolset so we and our friends can do the job.

Once fleet progression is out I'm hoping they stay true to their word and focus heavily on content and story progression and do so in such a way as to fill out the big gaps (KDF).

I feel like Crafting, PvP, Exploration all should be addressed over time but I think each of these deserves so much attention that they each should get their own seasons.

I miss the days of Cryptic making a Big content push and throwing a new system/mechanic in to boot like they did in City of Heroes. I paid monthly for that game and spent far more in monthly payments than I did on my LTS and C-P here to date. Mainly because there was almost always something to do, some new mission to read, etc. in the many years I played while it was run by Cryptic they had far fewer and far less severe content droughts than this game (or Champions) has had in the last few years.

I just want to log in for, say Season 7, and go "Ok, there's X new missions on each side and a couple shared missions and I can try out this new X System."
Lt. Commander
# 114
05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
We love Star Trek, we love video games,
Yes.

Quote:
we are a community of players who love Star Trek Online.
No. I think most of us would love to someday love this game. That's why we're constantly yelling at you guys about what is dumb, stupid, unfair, broken, unfinished, incomplete, neglected, ignored, unbalanced, and underwhelming.
Lt. Commander
# 115
05-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
We have a way?
I have a way?
There is a way?
We have a faaaake?
I have a faaake?
It's a faaaake!
Lt. Commander
# 116
05-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
To answer anazonda’s question from the title, in my opinion, I don’t think the community is losing its way While it may appear that the community is “fractured”, I think that we are sticking true to what Star Trek is all about.
I'm of two minds on this, due to events of the last couple years. In the past, yes, I could reasonably see that the majority of the community was fractured. However, the second view on this comes about as of late (I'd argue at least the last 6 months and more so in the last 4 definitely). The community is in fact uniting and glaringly stating what they don't like about the game. That's a problem, not in the fact that they're expressing their opinions, but that the majority of feedback is not as positive as it used to be.

Discussion is fantastic. Differing viewpoints equally so. But, when people increasingly start toting pitchforks and say "listen", there is a pretty good reason for that.

It's not the same people anymore constantly ranting. It's more and more unique folks coming forth and saying something. Even the apologists have gone into silence and only popping up to correct a minor misstep (usually grammar) in a post rather than the underlying sentiment behind it. Added to that, podcasts which acted as a propoganda arm (unintentionally or otherwise) for STO have started asking the hard questions and their note of broadcast is decidedly not nearly as "full of fluff and frosting" as they used to be. Tell me that doesn't send shivers up the financial ladder.
Lt. Commander
# 117
05-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPD View Post
We have a faaaake?
I have a faaake?
It's a faaaake!
????????????????????????
This left me so confused.
Lt. Commander
# 118
05-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
No WAY!

Well maybe with curds?
If we can get them from little ms. Muffet
Lt. Commander
# 119
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKathy
IThat's a problem, not in the fact that they're expressing their opinions, but that the majority of feedback is not as positive as it used to be.

Discussion is fantastic. Differing viewpoints equally so. But, when people increasingly start toting pitchforks and say "listen", there is a pretty good reason for that..
The way I look at things, there is whinging and complaining. Whining is where someone will just moan about something for the sake of it, where as complaining is seeing something that is wrong and offering a solution.

I try and live my life by this, if I see something wrong I'll try and offer a solution instead of just whinging about it. Not everyone is going to do this, and that's fine.

The issue with a community in an MMO is that there are so many different views and personalities. No developer will ever be able to please everyone and at least someone will want to whinge, because they can.

I don't think the community is too bad here, I used to be part of the SWG community and I can tell you, if I posted something like this, there would have been a 80% chance I'd be shot down and then much worse. I think people might be a little more careful here as their forum accounts are linked to in game accounts, so the anonymity isn't as great.
Lt. Commander
# 120
05-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElZombie
The way I look at things, there is whinging and complaining. Whining is where someone will just moan about something for the sake of it, where as complaining is seeing something that is wrong and offering a solution.
I understand completely. And I will tell you that the feedback does almost always started out as offering solutions. But, when nothing is seemingly done, no communications heard, and the issues continue, that's when it, understandably, turns to whining. This is generally a recurring theme as many on the forums will tell you and provide a long series of examples.

My concern here isn't that people, as you correctly point out, have diverging viewpoints. Indeed, what I was pointing out clearly in my post you quoted, the concern is that folks are now uniting behind a generally collective voice saying they're not happy. Sure, there will always be the ones that are never happy and the ones that are always happy. Those outliers are neither in the majority nor are they able to have their opinions sway due to facts. So, focusing on the ones who do react based on the state of the game, you get a pretty good idea of what's going on.

At what point should this be considered a catastrophic failure demanding a response? Is there a percentage? Is there a general overall tone? Must everyone post the same way?

I think if you re-read my post, you'll see exactly what I was driving at.