Lt. Commander
# 261
05-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
Only because they sped up leveling by a significant margin. There really isn't that much content, sans the Foundry of course.
Nevertheless, while it is possible that particular poster finished it all since joining this month, the speeding up happened significantly before May 2012, and more to the point, is unlikely to have finished it all within the month.

I joined in Feb, have several 50's, and still haven't even finished the Romulan missions, let alone 'most of the content' (I have been through 2800 a few times though .

And I am still discovering new things and very much enjoying myself.

Individual mileage will vary, but even so...
Lt. Commander
# 262
05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
Nevertheless, while it is possible that particular poster finished it all since joining this month, the speeding up happened significantly before May 2012, and more to the point, is unlikely to have finished it all within the month.

I joined in Feb, have several 50's, and still haven't even finished the Romulan missions, let alone 'most of the content' (I have been through 2800 a few times though .

I never said anything about my own characters. I simply made a true general statement, which was that to enjoy the journey that lasts until you quit playing, you need new content added on a regular basis.
Lt. Commander
# 263
05-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:

Given that when the game first came out, we had Ra's within 6 days, the game has never really had alot of content. The reason you've not finished the romulan arc, is because of how much its sped up, I can do all of the content within a week if I sat down and did it I think, it was the EHEP, or stormy who said it could be done in a weekend with some red bull, and that was before, they sped it up. you combine the current speed of leveling, with the Doffs, and its nuts, I'd wager, I could hit it before the Romulan arc if I pushed the Doff half hard.

Leveling speed was increased for a two fold reason in my opinion First to make it feel like we have more, and second, to try to push everyone to the end of the game, where, the big money ships and items are. Just my thoughts but I think they have some merit. I
Lt. Commander
# 264
05-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pt41nk4ng4r00
I never said anything about my own characters. I simply made a true general statement, which was that to enjoy the journey that lasts until you quit playing, you need new content added on a regular basis.
Funny... The STO site shows this account of yours has zero characters...

http://www.startrekonline.com/charac...4pt41nk4ng4r00

Though maybe their web-site is not up to date.

Have you made any characters and played the game yet on this account of yours?
Lt. Commander
# 265
05-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Funny...
I never said anything about my own characters. I simply made a true general statement, which was that to enjoy the journey that lasts until you quit playing, you need new content added on a regular basis. The same is true of any game.
Lt. Commander
# 266
05-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
I never said anything about my own characters. I simply made a true general statement, which was that to enjoy the journey that lasts until you quit playing, you need new content added on a regular basis. The same is true of any game.
Ah yes. You're second hand knowledge seems very extensive. You seem very quick to state truths you claim no first hand experience with.

"On a regular basis" varies by game. Some (including WoW) bring that new content in by way of paid expansions. Not sure about WoW or other games but EQ has been criticized somewhat by players for increasing shrinkage in expansion sizes.
Lt. Commander
# 267
05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Let's not pretend like it was some herculean effort on the dev's part either. They did nothing to fill in the gaps in content we had in leveling before, they just removed the gaps by shortening the road. Even more so for the KDF, they sped up leveling AND chopped a good chunk of leveling out too.

All for what? So we can do the same handful of STFs we've had for two years already over and over again while we wait for time gated events to pop up?

And speaking of finishing it in a month, back when I joined I finished everything this game had to offer before my free month was over. So yes, it very easily possible.
Lt. Commander
# 268
05-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Ah yes. You're second hand knowledge seems very extensive. You seem very quick to state truths you claim no first hand experience with.

"On a regular basis" varies by game. Some (including WoW) bring that new content in by way of paid expansions. Not sure about WoW or other games but EQ has been criticized somewhat by players for increasing shrinkage in expansion sizes.
Are you saying you disagree with my statement that regular new content is needed to keep things fun, or what exactly?
Lt. Commander
# 269
05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Are you saying you disagree with my statement that regular new content is needed to keep things fun, or what exactly?
I am saying that given the current structure of the game, it is a lot easier to max out a character (at least on a practical level) than to explore all the existing content, so even though your statement is technically true, it is not necessarily STO's greatest challenge.

For additional content to matter, it has to have relevance (which is why there are calls for rewards to be tied to foundry missions).

I am also saying that many, possibly most MMO's charge for some or all additional mission content, often above and beyond any sub fees (at least in the case of EQ, EQ2, and WoW).
Lt. Commander
# 270
05-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
Let's not pretend like it was some herculean effort on the dev's part either. They did nothing to fill in the gaps in content we had in leveling before, they just removed the gaps by shortening the road. Even more so for the KDF, they sped up leveling AND chopped a good chunk of leveling out too.

All for what? So we can do the same handful of STFs we've had for two years already over and over again while we wait for time gated events to pop up?

And speaking of finishing it in a month, back when I joined I finished everything this game had to offer before my free month was over. So yes, it very easily possible.
Hey, I wasn't there when they sped things up or I would have argued they went overboard. That is a separate debate though, isn't it?