Could someone please explain to me exactly what the Joined Symbiote trait does?
The C-Store description says "3.3 bonus to Starship Shield Emitters, Starship Hull Repair and Starship Weapons Training" but the Ship Power Level Calculator thead says that it gives "+3.3 to Starship Warp Core Potential skill. Can not be combined with Efficient Captain."
I would also like to know how it measures up to Efficient Captain or Warp Theorist?
+ 3.3 to Starship Hull Repair, Starship Shield Emitters, Starship Weapons Training, and Starship Warp Core Potential
+6.7 to Starship Graviton Generators, Starship Particle Generators, and Starship Space Decompiler.
The Warp Theorist Trait gives +10 to Starship Warp Core Potential and Starship Electro-Plasma System.
As far as how the Joined Trill measures up, in my observations the bonus you get are hardly noticeable until you are expecting different results.
For example: I have trained a Boff in Emergency Power to Shields III and have Starship Electro-Plasma System maxed out. I was expecting a bonus to my shields of 37; however while in sector space, the tooltip shows that Emergency Power to Sields III was actually giving a bonus of 39.
It seems to me that Joined Symbiote might be slightly more beneficial to Eng or Sci character. Wouldn't the bonuses to Partical Generators and Starship Subspace Decompiler be wasted on a most Tac characters?
It really depends on what your after. The Efficient captain only boots warp core efficiency so it will only have the most noticeable effects on low power levels. The joint trill has a small boost across the board. the only problem is that if you look at the skill tree we see that maxing out an item up to 9 gives 99 points and the 3.3 you get makes it 102.3. that is a drop in the bucket that is not noticeable at the higher levels.
Warp core theorist is a good choice because the +10 to warp core potential fill give you a flat power level boost across the board. with 9 points into it that make your potential at 109.
The more noticeable traits are the ones that give you a % bonus. If you look at Accuracy for example it gives you 10%. This is the Equivalent of one [Acc] modifier added to all your weapons. Starship targeting systems under tactical only gives you 15% when fully spec'ed. Combined it is 25% because it stacks with no diminishing returns.
Another one to consider is elusive. it gives a 10% defense bonus. it operates the same way as Accuracy.
Alien is your best choice if you want only space abilities and don't care about ground.
The joint trill is a good space ability while you are leveling up but is not noticeable when you get up there. But if you play a lot of ground it can be very noticeable. Hyper metabolism Gives you toxic and radiation damage resistance as well as 0.1 heath regen. the best regen tribble (yu) only does 0.02.
On my joint trill I also gave him mental discipline and stubborn. With those abilities I hardly ever get knocked down or stuck. Usually I can run anywhere I want to in a map with out worry.
On ground though this is where Alien shines again. For ground if you choose aggressive, creative, Peak health and soldier then they will stack/combine for +10-15% damage, +15% max hp, +10% crit sev, +10 toxic resist and +5% threat gen. I did this on an engineer for use with the enemy neutralization kit.
The traits are more favorable to ground play and have a larger impact there. Of course that is assuming you like ground.