Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i still dont understand the hate around JJ. He rebooted the show and made it accessible to many many people. The much loved TNG casts last films flopped and almost killed the franchise. JJ brought it back to life. The ratings from rans and critics was extremely positive. remember millions of people watch star trek, but most are casual fans that just want to be entertained with a good show or film. they could not care less if the enterprise was bigger than in tos, of if delta vega was in the wrong place or if kirk acted in a different way to before. they franchise is supported by the masses and the masses loved it.

he had 2 hours to make a movie that would attract as many people as possible. this was not the time for a search for spock or an insurrection. this was the time for a big flashy film to justify its huge budget.

so there are some continuity errors. every episode of star trek has them if you look hard enough. so it was an action movie rather than an exploration film. the most loved star trek films are centred around action and revenge. was the story the best ever? no, but neither was theshold, or these are the voyages of the entire first season of tng. was it made by someone who did not understand star trek? yes but quite frankly it seemed the whole of nemesis was written and directed by people who had not watched star trek before.

He wont be on the project forever and eventually other people will take over and if there is ever a tv show again, it will contain the usual array of episodes dealing with all manner of issues like people would expect from star trek

JJ has been the bet thing to happen to star trek for its continued long running survival. i know that sticks in peoples claws and i know some people hate the film. well some people hate tos, some people hate tng, some people hate ds9, some people hate enterprise and some people hate XI. the difference is XI made a boat load of money and that is what will keep star trek coming back again and again and again.

id rather see a film that divides some fans but keeps making money than a film universally loved by the hardcore that makes no money and kills the franchise.
Yeah I sort of agree here. But I am not a big fan of the move as a 'Star trek' movie, and tend to watch it as a stand alone one, like Lost In Space or Galaxy quest :p. I am happy to remember Star Trek the way I want with the DVD's, and let new blood fund the continuation of the franchise. I am sure the TOS era fans complained about TNG when it came out. The only gripe I have is the excessive lens flare, which JJ mentioned went a bit overboard on also.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i still dont understand the hate around JJ. He rebooted the show and made it accessible to many many people. The much loved TNG casts last films flopped and almost killed the franchise. JJ brought it back to life. The ratings from rans and critics was extremely positive. remember millions of people watch star trek, but most are casual fans that just want to be entertained with a good show or film. they could not care less if the enterprise was bigger than in tos, of if delta vega was in the wrong place or if kirk acted in a different way to before. they franchise is supported by the masses and the masses loved it.

he had 2 hours to make a movie that would attract as many people as possible. this was not the time for a search for spock or an insurrection. this was the time for a big flashy film to justify its huge budget.

so there are some continuity errors. every episode of star trek has them if you look hard enough. so it was an action movie rather than an exploration film. the most loved star trek films are centred around action and revenge. was the story the best ever? no, but neither was theshold, or these are the voyages of the entire first season of tng. was it made by someone who did not understand star trek? yes but quite frankly it seemed the whole of nemesis was written and directed by people who had not watched star trek before.

He wont be on the project forever and eventually other people will take over and if there is ever a tv show again, it will contain the usual array of episodes dealing with all manner of issues like people would expect from star trek

JJ has been the bet thing to happen to star trek for its continued long running survival. i know that sticks in peoples claws and i know some people hate the film. well some people hate tos, some people hate tng, some people hate ds9, some people hate enterprise and some people hate XI. the difference is XI made a boat load of money and that is what will keep star trek coming back again and again and again.

id rather see a film that divides some fans but keeps making money than a film universally loved by the hardcore that makes no money and kills the franchise.
Yeah I agree with this completely, I may be 16, but I've watched all the trek, and I loved all of it, especially XI. I look at it as an enhancement of the original series. Yes I loved TOS, I got the pack the day it came out. I love ENT, still waiting on the bridge pack. I loved Patrick Stewart in TNG, Galaxy bridge needs work Cryptic. I absolutely loved Janeway and the Intrepid USS Voyager, it was the first show I actually watched, Intrepid bridge also needs word. And I even enjoyed Commander Sisko and Dax on DS9. And I loved the new film, I recognize unlike most of you whiney picky trekkies out there, yes you, that its not changing the original, its entirely new, a new timeline, and a new smexy Enterprise. and I would love to see a send Nemoy back to the future sequel, and an official JJ prise on here, instead of an Exeter with anti-proton turrets and Quantum torpedo launcher

Edit: The Only star Trek I hated was The Motion Picture, most god awful, pathetic, waste of my time I ever had the displeasure of owning in a VHS box set
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Sorry, at this point JJ Abrams is just a brand name and the owners of the movie rights decided to stamp his stamp on the franchise, so he will be the main target when it comes to Trek rage.

The problem I have with the movie is symptomatic of the larger problem that is going on in the entertainment industry. We see television that is allot smarter, using allot of story arcs with realistic character development. The movie industry is going the other way, giving us little story and lot's of flash.

Instead of designing a new Trek, they decided to remake the original series using a twist in storyline. They simply want to capitalize on the already known characters. Most people that grew up with the series will find this insulting when it is poorly done.

It has been pointed out that allot of the other Trek movies are terrible and I totally agree. We don't get as upset because it was the original actors, portraying the original characters. This is a movie that throws the old universe away and tinkers with already fully developed characters.

I think there is enough creativity in the world to come up with new ideas and new franchises, we don't need to beat an old horse to death. I think the public is smart enough to recognize this and I wish Hollywood would take more chances. Do we really want to have a movie industry that only remakes all the blockbusters from the previous decade? That is not to say I want Trek to die, I just want it to be better now and be better than it was before.

Anyways, those are my two rants. Give me smarter entertainment and don't "re-imagine" well established stories.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Me and a fleet mate was talking and we both would love to see a series where shows us more of other races i mean no fed in it unless there getin shoot to bits like...:p

soz should be posted here...http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=268252
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Obligatory stab at the open wound.

To put it bluntly - the JJ Reboot was the change that had to happen if Star Trek was to remain a financially viable franchise.

Yes, yes, it's fun and waxing nostalgic to cling on to what has already been done in either film or TV series format, but people need to realise one thing:

The word "franchise" implies a profitable brand. And brands occasionally need to be revised if they are to stay relevant to current trends and demographics.

Hate and rage all you like - but this is the impatient, ADHD-fuelled era of reality TV and one-night-stands with executive producers being increasingly unwilling to part with production money in high-risk pitches.

Simply put: Science Fiction is a high-risk, high-cost investment. You either get it right, or do yourself out of a lot of money.

Frankly, Prime Universe probably needs to stay dead for about ten years before it's ready to be revisited. I actually enjoyed JJ's film, and I've yet to meet anyone (in person) who disagreed with this opinion. My 55-year-old father enjoyed it, my girlfriend enjoyed it, my Trek-loving University friends loved it, and even my own mother loved it. (And she would be the first one to roll her eyes and screw up her nose whenever I watched 'those strange aliens' on TV)

Given the right time and place, there is room for both, but the TNG spin-offs had honestly gotten to a point where they were rehashing the same stuff, and by the end of Voyager, any notions of honest-to-god originality had been blown out of the water with endless cliches, technobabble and token cast members (count 'em, I dare you.)

Credit where it is due - the entirely debatable design of the ship aside, Enterprise was willing to give the Prime Universe a fresh shot, but the damage Braga and Berman did with the first two seasons before Manny Coto stepped in was not enough to keep the ship from sinking. They'd played the risk game for two seasons, and it had already cost too much money to be allowed to continue for the chance of a resurgence.

Star Trek is a business, and the current world is run by Ferengi. You may expect it to be milked accordingly.

/reality.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-21-2012, 07:40 PM
What with novels, games and practically every Trekkie having their own fanseries ideas, maybe the Prime Universe should take a rest. I mean, you can't please everyone but you can disappoint them and no fanbase is as passionately critical as Trekkies.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Star Trek has no future. It died when Gene Roddenberry did.
http://urksoutpost.blogspot.com/2010...ld-friend.html

We won't be seeing any more meaningful "official" titles. All that's left of "real" Trek is what we as fans make ourselves.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I fear for the direction Star Trek is going... Lens Flare, shallow bursts of emotion, and plot hole filled stories.

Now I read somewhere that the villain is indeed Khan played by Brian Cumberbatch *not sure of the spelling* , and I don't like immortal roles like Khan being redone just stinks of unoriginality.

I will still see the new movie because it is Star Trek but I will be riding the fence before I form a better opinion but recasting Khan just doesn't bode well.

Now CBS looks to be sitting on the franchise and trying to see if the new movies will gain more of an audience before they go ahead with a new series. Now what timeline are they going to do I dunno. Star Trek Nemesis and Star Trek Enterprise and perhaps the final few seasons of Voyager left a really strained mark on this franchise... This is franchise fatigue when you have constant Star Trek production on TV since 1987. If left alone for another ten years maybe we can get something back in the Prime Timeline.

Though the way TV networks are going with reality TV it looks to be trouble. As Scifi shows are starting to lose audiences and budget as they are mostly expensive.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
Star Trek has no future. It died when Gene Roddenberry did.
Wasn't that 1991? Trek's very best was a few years later.
Don't get me wrong there were some great episodes in TNG Best of Both Worlds onwards.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Obligatory stab at the open wound.

To put it bluntly - the JJ Reboot was the change that had to happen if Star Trek was to remain a financially viable franchise.

Yes, yes, it's fun and waxing nostalgic to cling on to what has already been done in either film or TV series format, but people need to realise one thing:

The word "franchise" implies a profitable brand. And brands occasionally need to be revised if they are to stay relevant to current trends and demographics.

Hate and rage all you like - but this is the impatient, ADHD-fuelled era of reality TV and one-night-stands with executive producers being increasingly unwilling to part with production money in high-risk pitches.

Simply put: Science Fiction is a high-risk, high-cost investment. You either get it right, or do yourself out of a lot of money.

Frankly, Prime Universe probably needs to stay dead for about ten years before it's ready to be revisited. I actually enjoyed JJ's film, and I've yet to meet anyone (in person) who disagreed with this opinion. My 55-year-old father enjoyed it, my girlfriend enjoyed it, my Trek-loving University friends loved it, and even my own mother loved it. (And she would be the first one to roll her eyes and screw up her nose whenever I watched 'those strange aliens' on TV)

Given the right time and place, there is room for both, but the TNG spin-offs had honestly gotten to a point where they were rehashing the same stuff, and by the end of Voyager, any notions of honest-to-god originality had been blown out of the water with endless cliches, technobabble and token cast members (count 'em, I dare you.)

Credit where it is due - the entirely debatable design of the ship aside, Enterprise was willing to give the Prime Universe a fresh shot, but the damage Braga and Berman did with the first two seasons before Manny Coto stepped in was not enough to keep the ship from sinking. They'd played the risk game for two seasons, and it had already cost too much money to be allowed to continue for the chance of a resurgence.

Star Trek is a business, and the current world is run by Ferengi. You may expect it to be milked accordingly.

/reality.
I will agree with you, while I am afraid of the direction in terms of art but I really do agree with you. JJ's movie was a nostalgic moment much like Indiana Jones 4 and Superman Returns. It was good seeing the enterprise and Kirk (no matter if they were different) back on the screen. Trek will always be a good memory for me to visit when I write.