Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobbiec
Wasn't that 1991? Trek's very best was a few years later.
Don't get me wrong there were some great episodes in TNG Best of Both Worlds onwards.
TNG had a lot of good episodes so did TOS and they were totally different shows.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Each to his own mate but I can't find anything good about TOS or its movies, if anything I'd say being associated with them damages the franchise because they're terrible and easily parodied. Everyone has parts of Trek they hate I suppose, a lot of (quite often older) people seem to hate Voyager/Enterprise and Nemesis (that one wasn't brilliant but hey)
Though Sulu was alright in Flashback and Spock was ok in Unification but Sela steals the show. And Shatner was...tolerable in Generations but he gets killed twice which makes up for it, thank you Malcolm McDowell.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
I fear for the direction Star Trek is going... Lens Flare, shallow bursts of emotion, and plot hole filled stories.

Now I read somewhere that the villain is indeed Khan played by Brian Cumberbatch *not sure of the spelling* , and I don't like immortal roles like Khan being redone just stinks of unoriginality.

I will still see the new movie because it is Star Trek but I will be riding the fence before I form a better opinion but recasting Khan just doesn't bode well.

Now CBS looks to be sitting on the franchise and trying to see if the new movies will gain more of an audience before they go ahead with a new series. Now what timeline are they going to do I dunno. Star Trek Nemesis and Star Trek Enterprise and perhaps the final few seasons of Voyager left a really strained mark on this franchise... This is franchise fatigue when you have constant Star Trek production on TV since 1987. If left alone for another ten years maybe we can get something back in the Prime Timeline.

Though the way TV networks are going with reality TV it looks to be trouble. As Scifi shows are starting to lose audiences and budget as they are mostly expensive.
i bet they will even try a KKKKKHHHAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN! scence
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-27-2012, 02:10 PM
I actually think it is the perfect time for Trek to return through CGI, not live-action. Especially if it takes a focus at another part of the Trek universe, and not necessarily Starfleet.

For example, here is a great fan made CGI film called Star Trek Aurora. It focuses on a TOS era merchant Captain and her Vulcan officer who encounter an adventure. Its got amazing production values, and a strong story the longer you watch it.

Due to the sci-fi vacuum right now on TV (gl Defiance) I think any actual live-action trek would be ripped apart by too many people wanting it to be too many things (like SGU and Terra Nova).
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgtburglar
My worries though are the era of Star Trek are long gone only replaced by s**$#y reality shows , Judge "Fill in the blank" and stupid singing contests nobody cares anymore.
Your worries are well warranted. The only true way to save Trek is for Snookie and Jay Wow T1tty Bang to get hit by a bus. Then, the whole cast of Real Houswives of (Insert city here) need to all walk off the Grand Canyon. Then the Teen Mom # cast needs to start their careers pole dancing or start in the 'film' industry. Parents need to start solving their own problems so that Super Nanny can go home to England and be the average Joe she is there.

If Trek is to survive they need to stop trying to be cheap and easy about it. Look at Sons of Anarchy for example. It's only 13 episodes a season and because of that the quality is unpresidented. A lot of people here want 26 episodes. But you have to realize, more content = less quality. Less episodes, means more money can be spent on better actors, writers, FX personnel, producers ect.

P.S.

Judge Judy needs to retire.

Lt. Commander
# 26
05-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektre12
more content = less quality. Less episodes, means more money can be spent on better actors, writers, FX personnel, producers ect.
not unless the budget goes up to accommodate more episodes...
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Each to his own mate but I can't find anything good about TOS or its movies, if anything I'd say being associated with them damages the franchise because they're terrible and easily parodied. Everyone has parts of Trek they hate I suppose, a lot of (quite often older) people seem to hate Voyager/Enterprise and Nemesis (that one wasn't brilliant but hey)
Though Sulu was alright in Flashback and Spock was ok in Unification but Sela steals the show. And Shatner was...tolerable in Generations but he gets killed twice which makes up for it, thank you Malcolm McDowell.
Wow hater.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britishtar
i bet they will even try a KKKKKHHHAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN! scence

No doubt as nothing sacred nowdays
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
not unless the budget goes up to accommodate more episodes...
Not really I would like it if Starz, Showtime, or HBO would do a joint CBS production of a new series. Better quality flat out.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
Not really I would like it if Starz, Showtime, or HBO would do a joint CBS production of a new series. Better quality flat out.
Hear, hear! I mentioned this very thing in another thread. Glad to see someone else agrees with me!