Lt. Commander
# 11
05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
I like the idea

or perhaps promoting your first officer to captain and making them a playable character.
why would you want to play a toon that has less abilities then your main?
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-21-2012, 06:53 AM
I was paging through the future content last night, and apparently promoting BOFFs to playable captain is on the drawing board. So far as I can tell, the only BOFF not up for discussion as a promotable player captain is the android. CBS dropped the veto hammer on it.

However, the Breen, Reman, and your Diplo BOFFs would be available for it. Sounds good to me.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STFOfficer
I would assume promotion would come with a full respec from BOFF to Captain. What would be sweet would be the ability to keep something from their BOFF days that gives them a +1 from a rollable captain.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuHull View Post
I was paging through the future content last night, and apparently promoting BOFFs to playable captain is on the drawing board. So far as I can tell, the only BOFF not up for discussion as a promotable player captain is the android. CBS dropped the veto hammer on it.

However, the Breen, Reman, and your Diplo BOFFs would be available for it. Sounds good to me.
CBS is racists? Do we have to go through Data's trial again?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I think its a good idea because your an VA and it puts your more into a captains position cryptic just put the admiral rank in just for the heck of having the title admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STFOfficer
Easy to fix during the transfer.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudedude12345
I think its a good idea because your an VA and it puts your more into a captains position cryptic just put the admiral rank in just for the heck of having the title admiral.
this was a HUGE BONE we picked down to the marrow in BETA. You had 1000s of people against Admiral. There was a post a day about it. Being Admiral makes no sense from so many perspectives. But they were unmoved. WHoever was in charge had no good reason aside from thats what he wanted. Same guy who said sector space would NEVER change. Lol there were some super serious RPers who refuse to take the promotion and wouldnt go beyond captain and calls for the ability to turn off XP gain.

But what makes more sense. A galaxy with 1000000s of Admirals or 10000000s of captains.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-21-2012, 03:37 PM
What's the point? You'd have 10 captains and 1 Admiral on 1 ships, that would be pointless. Now the Enterprise A did have 3 Captains, Kirk, Spock, and Scotty, but Kirk was demoted from Admiral to Captain at this point.

The only thing that makes sense to promote all your BOFFs to Captain, is to allow them to fly your unused ships that you have in spacedock (like a 5 person away team) in sector space.

But again, this topic has been beaten to death, and were two years later now. This game is moving at a snails pace and the development decisions haven't been steller.
Ensign
# 19
02-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
From a lore standpoint, I have to take the current state of the Alpha Quadrant into consideration for this one. It's been established that with the Undine infiltrating every major faction in the Alpha and Beta Quadrant and putting everyone at each other's throats, along with the Borg being increasingly aggressive, the Federation needs as many commanding officers as it can get. They have the resources to fit newly trained ensigns to take control of their own starships simply because they don't have the personnel to man all the firepower that they can provide.

Under normal circumstances, an Admiral would give up command of his ship and take on a desk job, and usually you wouldn't be allowed to promote a certain number of people to a certain rank (The reason why Harry Kim remains an Ensign throughout Voyager is because they just can't allow for any more lieutenants among the crew roster of Voyager) but with the Federation needing every person they can right now, it's best to allow captains to become Admirals and obtain better ships, while still remaining in command.

it's for this same reason that us Admirals are taking orders from lower grade officers for missions. It's THEIR job to be in command of those operations and provide us active captains with the orders to carry them out, because they know more about the situation as we do.

Now, getting to the point of promoting our BOFFS to captain: I would say that promoting them to Captain would qualify them to be in command of their own vessels. While it would be cool to see an Admiral with a fleet of ships under his wing, each being controlled by the captains who used to be his own bridge officers, this would leave everyone a little understaffed for their own ships. That's why all your BOFFS remain as Commanders.

speak for your self i have close to 15 Boffs, im a Boff horder
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM
argh!
Kill it with fire!
Closed Thread