Lt. Commander
# 21
05-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElZombie
apparently CBS have stated that they don't want these widely available as it would break canon.
Sorry, but I'm not buyin that anymore. Call me a conspiracist if you want, but we only have one complete playable faction and one partial one, after two years.

Cryptic isn't stupid, they know that fans will have their favorite species and some players might want to play a Cardassian, Jem Hadar, or Ferengi, but since the KDF is no way near enough to being a complete faction, the closest way you can play these other factions at the moment is winning these damned ships through the lock boxes.

I have my theory that despite what Perfect World, OR Cryptic tells us, it simply isn't "profitable" to complete the KDF, or work on another faction.....anytime soon, (where's the incentive ?), MAYBE NEVER. However selling other factions ships through lock boxes IS VERY profitable indeed.

Sure, CBS would have a problem with a lot of Federation or Klingon players playing with other faction ships, but I'm sure if these other factions were introduced as mini playable factions, they might not have the same objections.

The fact that the lock boxes are here to stay, and that they are EVERYWHERE, tells me the chances of getting other playable factions in the game grow dimmer with every master key purchase.

I'd LOVE to be wrong on this. Only time will tell, so, We'll have to wait and see.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulDjinn
Sorry, but I'm not buyin that anymore. Call me a conspiracist if you want, but we only have one complete playable faction and one partial one, after two years.

Cryptic isn't stupid, they know that fans will have their favorite species and some players might want to play a Cardassian, Jem Hadar, or Ferengi, but since the KDF is no way near enough to being a complete faction, the closest way you can play these other factions at the moment is winning these damned ships through the lock boxes.

I have my theory that despite what Perfect World, OR Cryptic tells us, it simply isn't "profitable" to complete the KDF, or work on another faction.....anytime soon, (where's the incentive ?), MAYBE NEVER. However selling other factions ships through lock boxes IS VERY profitable indeed.

Sure, CBS would have a problem with a lot of Federation or Klingon players playing with other faction ships, but I'm sure if these other factions were introduced as mini playable factions, they might not have the same objections.

The fact that the lock boxes are here to stay, and that they are EVERYWHERE, tells me the chances of getting other playable factions in the game grow dimmer with every master key purchase.

I'd LOVE to be wrong on this. Only time will tell, so, We'll have to wait and see.
The franchise owner does not care anything about the prime universe so in their view the owners of the game itself are free to do as they wish. Although this is nothing more than a crutch that is so often used that the contradictions that lay before us within the game are proof enough.

As for the factions it would require putting effort and time (which is money to them) to actually push out said content is not in their grasp of concepts. If it cannot be cut and pasted from something already existing we will more than likely never see it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaern
Most of the items in the OP really don't belong in the C-Store for various reasons (STF gear is a reward for doing STF's, Aegis is crafted, etc)
Says who? You?
There is absolutely zero competition between players in STO, neither directly or indirectly. PvP has no merit and was almost cut from the game because it doesn't offer anything worthwhile to the player base at large, that's not opinion but facts presented by the developers. It's insignificant at this point and shouldn't drive business decisions.

There are countless players with STF items, so they aren't presented as anything unique or rare, meaning there is no boast/epeen value associated with owning the items.
There is no pride or accomplishment associated with getting the items either via more traditional means.
It is an archaic value in any regard that hasn't had a place in modern MMO design in ages.

If people want to buy the items instead of obtaining them via traditional means, it seems only logical to allow them to part their money.

Anything that is available in the game in one form or another should be directly purchasable via the Cstore.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morell View Post
Says who? You?
There is absolutely zero competition between players in STO, neither directly or indirectly. PvP has no merit and was almost cut from the game because it doesn't offer anything worthwhile to the player base at large, that's not opinion but facts presented by the developers. It's insignificant at this point and shouldn't drive business decisions.

There are countless players with STF items, so they aren't presented as anything unique or rare, meaning there is no boast/epeen value associated with owning the items.
There is no pride or accomplishment associated with getting the items either via more traditional means.
It is an archaic value in any regard that hasn't had a place in modern MMO design in ages.

If people want to buy the items instead of obtaining them via traditional means, it seems only logical to allow them to part their money.

Anything that is available in the game in one form or another should be directly purchasable via the Cstore.
It doesn't require "epeen" or boast value to **** people off. If you were one of the people who took 300 Elite runs to get your Omega space set, you're going to be pretty damn bent that some other guy can come in, drop $10 (or $25, or whatever) and get the same thing he busted his arse for.

I do understand your point in opening avenues for revenue, but cheapening Lifetime bonus, or vet rewards, or even in-game accomplishments is not the way to do it unless you want to **** off your longest playing players. I can't guarantee that's what would happen here, nor am I one of those who could be adversely affected, but I have seen players quit a game en masse over similar ideas actually being implemented.