Lt. Commander
# 1 PuG's... what's the problem!
05-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Ive been running STF's for quittttttttttttte some time now. ( elite, and normal )

Regularly.

90% .. PuGs

10% Fleet

out of that 100%

10% - total fails ( mostly cure elites.. so I stay away from em! )

20% - wins, with no objective

70% - Wins AND Objective complete

I don't see PuG groups as the hellish experience too many people here do.

My theory? - whenever I get into the instance, i always throw out a "Hi All!"....after that most people do the same, and they start to ask about who's doing what.. and if they do not, I speak up and ask. works 70% of the time ( as stated above )

Also, I pay attention to everything going on around me.. is someone getting probes? .. 3 mins later.. I check again.. "oh nope.. I better get over there".

"Are the nanties coming?... oh yes.. better push em back. "

If you come prepared with AoE, Push back, repel abilities, pay attention, and be friendly you can have fun too! As long as you don't mind doing extra work
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't do Elites on my own any more, purely because with a PUG it's too stressful. Normal run's I've actually had quite good luck with recently, I've had good groups whom will do the needful and we'll clear them out pretty quick.

Usually, I'll throw out a hello or ask if they want to follow a specific plan, sometimes I'll not get a response, but that's fine.

Basically, I enjoy doing a quick run of STF's and am always happy to give and take advice, I'd say it's only 5% of the time I'll get someone who'll AFK or intentionally try and make things difficult.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
I've run a couple a hundred normal missions and a couple of dozen elite missions and I don't see what all the fuss is about either. I've been in great groups, not so great groups and downright rotten groups. Every once in a while I'll wind up in a group with a technicolor beam boat or two and unless you're on an elite mission it really doesn't matter. The trick I've learned is to look for a job that nobody else is doing. Maybe it's protecting the Kang, maybe it's killing probes, maybe it's popping cubes, maybe it's helping the technicolor beam boats with their kills...whatever. I have enough firepower to make up for their deficits. I'm just there to have fun and I'm not about to let a bad ship build or a few bad attitudes ruin my day. There's always another STF mission right around the corner. Nothing to get upset about if one goes badly.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Well over 500 PUG's at this point and for the most part I agree with OP, though I would argue the option and fail rate is higher, especially when it comes to ground combat. I think people get upset because they are just grinding for the ubber set pieces and don't want to see any mistakes. Play the STF's for fun, the mk xii set pieces aren't worth the stress. It's no big deal if the option is lost. I personally think the rage players that get upset at any little thing are allot worst than the noobs, but they don't pop up to often in regular ques.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I too agree with the OP.

I've run a couple hundred STFs myself, and by and large, I've had good experiences. There've been a few aggravating runs, but on a whole, it hasn't been the terrible experience that others claim to have had.

Maybe, people are generally getting better at them as time goes on.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-21-2012, 07:44 PM
The problem in PUGs for me are those, "know it all" ppl, who shout at you when you do stuff not the way he wants it, the rather just quits instead of seeing it thru. Had alot of these issues, even when goin in with 3 of my fleet mates(yes the 5. random guy started pushing us araound on what to do then quit cos we didnt folow his rule lold at the guys nerves) Or other type of ppl are a "trouble source" aswell who quit after the optional falls.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-21-2012, 10:10 PM
new wave of newbs I have done several elite seen a ton of RA ships still
they mask their sevles in good ship still suck
I realy try to bite my tounge and be respectful but sometimetimes just gets frustrating '
i tried not to do it but we had a troll in infected elite I got mad
luckly i did get option
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-22-2012, 05:23 AM
It's all about communication, and the idiots who close their chat windows. I just made a thread yesterday about how joining an STF should lock your chat window open so you are FORCED to see your teammate's chat.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Well it depends a lot on which STF's you're running doesn't it, speaking only for the space ones (as I'm no ground expert)

- ISE = Half decent team will get the optional most of the time, probably <50% overall. I have only EVER fail this one once. . . I say failed, I mean bugged out after more than 45 mins of incompetents totally failing to grasp the basic principles of mission entirely and ignoring everything I tried to tell them.

- KASE = As long as the team has an overall high DPS and knows what to do there's no reason you can't get the optional. However I very rarely get it in PuG's mainly due to someone defending probes letting one through. . . or yelling for help which when given means we miss the timer. . . . Probably only get the Opt. with PuGs about 10% of the time here.
Rarely fail however . . . if the probe defenders are truly incompetent I just fall back and do it myself.

- CSE = Nightmare. PuG will fail around 50% of the time. It only takes 1 or 2 people not to know what they're doing Kang will go pop.
I have NEVER made the optional with a PuG. Even with a good team just one person slightly out of step will probably cause you to miss the timer, I think best I've ever managed was 3.5 mins to spare.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
I think part of the problem lies in the fact that there only limited strategies to get the optionals and the main completed on elite that it becomes writ, so any deviation from PuG players becomes more pronounced, and people get sensitive to them.

We just need to relax, and only sweat the obvious griefers, not the people honestly trying.