Lt. Commander
I've mentioned in other threads I think the idea of a new live action Trek series is a long shot because of the associated production costs.

I am curious though, there is a medium we could use for a new Trek series where imagination would not be hampered by production costs and that would be animation.

I know Trek has already tried this before, but that was in the 70's and it's target audience was children. I am talking about a target audience of adults.

I am in my early 30's and my generation grew up with animation. We accept cartoon comedy like South Park and Family Guy, why not drama? Anime already has a niche adult audience. There are already allot of mainstream cartoons out there with more adult themes. I am a big fan of Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. I try to get my peers to watch, but most can't get past the fact that it is a cartoon.

I ask, do you think this would be possible and would you watch?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-21-2012, 07:00 PM
NO!!!,

well, if it's that or no trek at all, I wou ld take it.

But make it good.

Maybe like the star wars clone wars series.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Meh I might check out its pilot and judge from there but...
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Didn't we already have one?

That aside, yes. There are certain things that are just too expensive to do in a live action setting, things that limit you. For instance, a new animated series could have many more alien species that aren't just people in gobs of makeup.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I would watch, definitely. I'm a fan of animation and loved TAS. With an animated series, either traditional 2D or CGI, writers have more flexibility about the kinds of stories they could tell. It would also be easier to include more alien characters and have better renditions of alien worlds and environments rather than lifeless re-used, but WELL drawn, matte paintings (although those got better later on). It would also make it possible to re-cast veteran Trek actors with minor or perhaps major appearances in a series.

And for some reason, I hope Greg Weisman would be involved. He did create Gargoyles, which had a lot of actors from Trek voicing various characters, and produced Spectacular Spider-Man and currently Young Justice, which are both great series'.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I could see a Samurai Jack style cartoon. Hmmmm.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
ABSOLUTELY! It opens all manner of possibilities at a significantly reduced cost. I've always loved animation, most noteably with Don Bluth. There are so many fine examples of good animated drama and the TAS is no exception. I would even be open to an Anime style series. Such a style is well known for the extended continuity we had in DS9 and ENT.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingie
ABSOLUTELY! It opens all manner of possibilities at a significantly reduced cost. I've always loved animation, most noteably with Don Bluth. There are so many fine examples of good animated drama and the TAS is no exception. I would even be open to an Anime style series. Such a style is well known for the extended continuity we had in DS9 and ENT.
I totally agree. It opens up so many options.

For one thing, we wouldn't have to suffer through the recycled battle footage like we did in DS9
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
I would enjoy a well done Star Trek animated or otherwise.

Star Trek: Final Frontier had some real promise. I am disapoin6ted it never got made.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I remember reading something about Johnathan Frakes pitching an animated series after Nemesis but CBS said no because they were worried about "franchise" fatigue.