Lt. Commander
# 11
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
I totally agree. It opens up so many options.

For one thing, we wouldn't have to suffer through the recycled battle footage like we did in DS9
Oh, I think cartoons are far more guilty of that.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Oh hell yeah I'd watch it. You can do some great things with cartoons.

I imagine it would be something in the same style as Gerry Anderson's new Captain Scarlet series.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Sounds interesting, but TAS worries me.... That would make me nervous.. All the other shows, you could connect because it seemed REAL. Animated is harder to relate to...
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
I've mentioned in other threads I think the idea of a new live action Trek series is a long shot because of the associated production costs.

I am curious though, there is a medium we could use for a new Trek series where imagination would not be hampered by production costs and that would be animation.

I know Trek has already tried this before, but that was in the 70's and it's target audience was children. I am talking about a target audience of adults.

I am in my early 30's and my generation grew up with animation. We accept cartoon comedy like South Park and Family Guy, why not drama? Anime already has a niche adult audience. There are already allot of mainstream cartoons out there with more adult themes. I am a big fan of Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. I try to get my peers to watch, but most can't get past the fact that it is a cartoon.

I ask, do you think this would be possible and would you watch?
some years ago now,i watched a startrek cartoon. 2 familiar voices in it were both bill shatner and leonard nimoy.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Star Trek TAS, was the first Star Trek series to win an Emmy.

The animation looks a little rough by today's standards, and the stories were truncated, but the stories shortened as they were, were still good.

The biggest irritation is the very limited Filmation sound catalogue. They used the same limited incedental music and sound effects for all their cartoons.

As I said before I liked the direction Zero productions was headed, and it is a shame their project came to fruition.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingie
I remember reading something about Johnathan Frakes pitching an animated series after Nemesis but CBS said no because they were worried about "franchise" fatigue.
Hah, how amusing.

But to answer the OP's question, yes, i would watch a star trek cartoon, in fact i would make one.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-23-2012, 05:24 PM
cartoon NO anime maybe.

im sure theres alot of good japanise anime compaines that could do it. if its western cartoons not a chance in hell would rather lick a dogs bum.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingie
I remember reading something about Johnathan Frakes pitching an animated series after Nemesis but CBS said no because they were worried about "franchise" fatigue.
Maybe the term "great minds think alike", also applies to people with beards? :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog0000
cartoon NO anime maybe..
Maybe I should of said, "Animated Series".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog0000
if its western cartoons not a chance in hell would rather lick a dogs bum.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Depends on if it is kiddie or not.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
Depends on if it is kiddie or not.
If they ever ran with the animation idea and given the previous nature of the films and movies, the target audience would still be young adult at worse.

In my "Perfect World", the series would be very adult orientated. I just see animation as another means to tell a story.