Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
05-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
If they ever ran with the animation idea and given the previous nature of the films and movies, the target audience would still be young adult at worse.

In my "Perfect World", the series would be very adult orientated. I just see animation as another means to tell a story.
True at least
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
05-23-2012, 09:08 PM
I feel that animation -- and here I am thinking we're all talking cartoon or, perhaps, anime, not CG/purely digital -- would lack the oomph of a live action show, of seeing actors in excellent costumes and makeup. The story could indeed be compelling, whatever it would be, but I can't help but think I'd feel cheated if it was animated. This may just be bias from having most all Trek live action so far, but the animation certainly didn't do a whole lot -- in my opinion of course -- for Star Wars, another popular science fiction franchise. And I doubt LotR would have done as well animated (great CG, though).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
05-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I'd be fine with it if the animation style was like Macross Plus, or a CGI show like Transformers Prime.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
I've mentioned in other threads I think the idea of a new live action Trek series is a long shot because of the associated production costs.

I am curious though, there is a medium we could use for a new Trek series where imagination would not be hampered by production costs and that would be animation.

I know Trek has already tried this before, but that was in the 70's and it's target audience was children. I am talking about a target audience of adults.

I am in my early 30's and my generation grew up with animation. We accept cartoon comedy like South Park and Family Guy, why not drama? Anime already has a niche adult audience. There are already allot of mainstream cartoons out there with more adult themes. I am a big fan of Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. I try to get my peers to watch, but most can't get past the fact that it is a cartoon.

I ask, do you think this would be possible and would you watch?
I loved TAS on Saturday mornings on NBC back in 1973 -- why not?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
05-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I loved TAS on Saturday mornings on NBC back in 1973 -- why not?
^This.

There are some things that animation can do and live action cannot.
There are also some animated series that far outstrip their live action movie counterparts.

Starship Troopers: Roughnecks for example, was surprisingly good because it showed one thing - Starship Troopers in a variety of challenging tactical scenarios. That's exactly what I wanted to see. Fast paced post modern infantry combat.

Whereas the movie missed the mark completely. If anything, because so much CGI is needed for a postmodern fast paced combat scene, why not make it completely animated? Don't have to deal with actors, expensive uncomfortable suits (poor Borg Queen), etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
05-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized
I feel that animation -- and here I am thinking we're all talking cartoon or, perhaps, anime, not CG/purely digital -- would lack the oomph of a live action show, of seeing actors in excellent costumes and makeup. The story could indeed be compelling, whatever it would be, but I can't help but think I'd feel cheated if it was animated. This may just be bias from having most all Trek live action so far, but the animation certainly didn't do a whole lot -- in my opinion of course -- for Star Wars, another popular science fiction franchise. And I doubt LotR would have done as well animated (great CG, though).

I was talking cgi, of this standard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv9n3s5eARo


You can get some exciting scenes done with that, and while the more traditional cartoon appearance can give you flashier effects, and prefer it for some things (like Thundercats), I think Star Trek would benefit more from being CGI.

And why not? There have been some great cg shows. Starship Troopers. Transformers. Reboot.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
05-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Oh

Well then I'd be more on-board with that.


Again, it's likely just a bias that, in the end, wouldn't matter as much if the story and characters were done well, but CGI like that would easily be able to mimick/fit/extend the existing Trek style. Cool.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
05-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak
I was talking cgi, of this standard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv9n3s5eARo


You can get some exciting scenes done with that, and while the more traditional cartoon appearance can give you flashier effects, and prefer it for some things (like Thundercats), I think Star Trek would benefit more from being CGI.

And why not? There have been some great cg shows. Starship Troopers. Transformers. Reboot.
Wow, I really don't like that CGI style at all. Looks like late PS1/early PS2 level cutscenes, which were fine back in the the day, but now? I think TF Prime style animation (motion and color, as opposed to character design) is much more aesthetically easy on the eyes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I loved TAS on Saturday mornings on NBC back in 1973 -- why not?
Only Voyager and Enterprise are as maligned as TAS, it would be terribly unfair to all three to not at least acknowledge each had their moments, and TAS took home an Emmy.

As far as the styles, I think limited animation as often seen on TV can work. It does not have to be anime, which is a very limited style of animation, but it does have to have the same artistic integrity. If they used the same artistic approach found in the original Johnny Quest it would have some very strong potential. Johnny Quest and anime both have very limited movement, but great detail in the artwork. I prefer the more realistic look of Johnny Quest, than the somewhat stylized appearance of anime.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
05-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
Wow, I really don't like that CGI style at all. Looks like late PS1/early PS2 level cutscenes, which were fine back in the the day, but now? I think TF Prime style animation (motion and color, as opposed to character design) is much more aesthetically easy on the eyes.

Honestly, I don't see a difference between that and Prime (maybe Prime would have been the better example, since that is a few years old now and Prime is brand spanking new). But either way, CGI better than traditional animation cartoon for Star Trek, I feel.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 AM.