Lt. Commander
# 1 Notification window concern
05-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I am concerned about the notification feature. It is nice but I cant play STF`s when everyone passes on said item and I have a yellow wall of text blocking the center of my view. So I went into the options and turned off the scrolling notification text. I accepted it but even after restarting the game the notifications still pop up.

Why even have this feature that shuts off the notification including the lock box ship notifications and you turn it off but the stuff still spams?

I moved the notification bar location to the far bottom right but the text interfers with my command functions so I am regulated to playing this game with messages blocking my view or blocking my action buttons all because the devs cant fix this one part of the option menu that is designed to turn this stuff off and it doesnt even do it.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Notification Bar option broken
05-22-2012, 05:57 PM
I dont know what happened to my post, it wasnt moved and it couldnt have been deleted since I wasnt messaged about it being deleted.

But I am concerned about this why is it that I turn off the scrolling text notification option under options but yet I still have scrolling text notifications coming up? Hovering over this option under options it says it kills the scrolling text even the lock box ship notifications. I turn this off and its still showing up.

So my question is why is it not working? I mean surely the devs wouldnt let something like this stay broken considering it makes the game very hard to play in STF`s when you have a wall of text blocking your whole screen cause everyone passed on the stupid lock box that no one wanted.

I moved the notification bar to the bottom right of my screen as a temporary fix but its still interfering with my game play by blocking the view on my starship actions.

So I stress my question a third time, why is this option to turn this feature off not working? Why even waste space by having the option to be turned off if it doesnt even do anything?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-22-2012, 06:00 PM
IMO rolling should pop up as a chat-level item akin to local, combat, zone, etc. so you can put it in a tab or whatever. Notifications should be reserved for the things that pop-up when you're traveling across sectors, friends logging in and out, fleet annoucements/motd, and the like. Oh and the flybys for when a doff mission completes are nice still, though when I am spam-acknowledging the completions I don't need a notification flyby in addition to the rewards summary above the chat. This would drastically cut down on how "tall' the area can get.

Really the flybys are overloaded and annoying due to too much being stuck in this area.

And I am not even talking about the "<player name> has received a <ship>" messages. Those are at least somewhat tolerable.

edit: And yeah the toggle for these does seem a little inconsistent.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized
IMO rolling should pop up as a chat-level item akin to local, combat, zone, etc. so you can put it in a tab or whatever. Notifications should be reserved for the things that pop-up when you're traveling across sectors, friends logging in and out, fleet messages, and the like.
I didnt see anything about notifications, I have just about everything turned off and I still get these wall of texts during STF`s that makes the game almost unplayable since you cant see whats going on especially if your in the middle of a battle.

Under basic options I have the following turned off currently

Enable Gameplay Announcement Flybys
Enable Rumble
Invert Camera axes per control scheme
invert camera x
invert camera y
disable bulletins auto-popup
disable mission auto-hail
enable auto loot

Under the HUD section I have the following turned off

Show Miscellaneous Damage Folaters
Hide Tray Tooltips

Despite having all these options turned off I still get notifications even though the first one I listed under basic when you hover over it, says that it disable fly by notifications including the lockbox starship awards. Ive gotten four of those since I turned that to off. I even switched it on to off multiple times and restarted the game trying and still cant get it to work.

It just sucks when your playing a STF and it comes up with loot like a drop box and everyone passes on it and you instantly got a wall of text saying who passed on said item. I could careless about that especially considering it hinders my view.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milner62
I didnt see anything about notifications, I have just about everything turned off and I still get these wall of texts during STF`s that makes the game almost unplayable since you cant see whats going on especially if your in the middle of a battle.
I must not have been clear, as that's what I am talking about. There are too many things that are considered "notifications" that really should just appear in the chat box in some format, like mission dialogue and system messages do (if you haven't turned them off). The notifications should be limited to things like doff missions completing, sector changes, friends logging on and off, and the like and should NOT include rolls for loot, doff mission rewards [as that's already visible in both the doff interface and the chat area], and the like to cut down on how much gets printed on the screen at any one time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized
I must not have been clear, as that's what I am talking about. There are too many things that are considered "notifications" that really should just appear in the chat box in some format, like mission dialogue and system messages do (if you haven't turned them off). The notifications should be limited to things like doff missions completing, sector changes, friends logging on and off, and the like and should NOT include rolls for loot, doff mission rewards [as that's already visible in both the doff interface and the chat area], and the like to cut down on how much gets printed on the screen at any one time.
Ah I understand. I could see it being limited to just those things. But its like doesnt even follow any logical course of action.

I guess for the next update they will remove the tool tip about the flyby text disable feature as not stopping the dropbox ship winnings instead of fixing it.

In any case I just hope the devs can fix it, I dont need to see a wall of text saying "so and so passed on lock box" "so and so passed on lock box" "so and so passed on lock box" "so and so passed on lock box" "so and so passed on lock box". Doing that five times taking up the play screen is excessive. Even if it wasnt possible to turn off the sector change or even the drop box starships it would be nice if we could at least turn being notifed of what other players did if they did "Need" "greed" "pass".