Lt. Commander
# 1 Character Reincarnation Sales
05-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok so in order for STO to stay in business it needs to make money other than in the current form it is using now. We all know what the current form is so there is no need to mention that current form. This thread is only about how we can go about making a win-win situation for both the players and developers.

I know that there are people who are completely against the Borg race and I respect that opinion, so please throw out a better idea using the same concept below because I am certain there are better ideas out there.

Right now one complaint about the game is that it's "too easy" to get to lvl 50. And that is true. There is XP everywhere to the point that making level 50 isn't much of an accomplishment. People have asked to have the XP necessary to reach each tier increased, or to have XP awards for doing things in the game decreased. It would be much easier to just increase the tier amounts that go back and change all the game rewards.

So here is an idea in order to fix the tier problem plus make the developers money in the process.

There is a certain competior game out there that when you reach lvl 20 you can reincarnate your character into a new character with better stats. Since the game uses magic then it makes sense IP wise. I am not certain how we can make "reincarnation" fit the ST universe but here are some ideas:

1. Your character is assimiliated and essentially "dies," then is liberated later and has to "start over". This would unlock Borg prosthetics in the tailor and would allow for other liberated races besides just human or Klingon liberated. (Lifetime sales would go down but right now I don't know how many are really being sold and this option might result in more profit than continuing to reserve liberated for lifetime subscribers only.)
2. Q shows up and does what Q does best and turns things upside down and your character needs to "start over". Maybe all your molecules are rearranged so you can change race and gender.
3. You have a clone made by that Blue Doff from "Hearts and Minds", your current characater dies and your clone "starts over". This would be the same race and gender but you do get to start over again a little bit better than before.

I don't know how much money said compeitor makes off "reincarnations" but doing so costs about $12.95 each time. I say this because you can grind a free reincarnation if you wish to take the time to do so, so some players are able to get around the cost. I suppose EDCs or GPLs could be used as an alternative to C-Points in getting a STO reincarnation but the idea here is to find a money maker that will help replace the current money maker people aren't happy with.

Reincarnated characters would then play the game like usual except they would get a small bonus, perhaps 1 or 2 extra traits from the origional 4 they selected from their previous life. So reincarnated characters would have 5 or 6 traits instead of the usual 4. Reincarnated characters would also rank much more slowly and take a lot more XP to get to lvl 50 than everyone else. If people are anxious to get back to 50 right away then they can go buy XP bonuses from the C-Store, increasing game profits more, thereby reducing having to sell "other" things less.

Or the current system of making money can have a "reincarnation" token as a prize with the odds stated such as 1 in 50 will get a token. Then people will know that it will take them 5000 C-points to buy enough keys to get a reincarnation token. Whatever other prizes they get are just a bonus but the token price is well understood and so you know what it costs. Or reincarnation tokens can cost 50 Lobi and then people know it will take about 50 keys to get enough Lobi to get the token and therfore the whole key and box system will have improved value to players and people will not mind it as much anymore.

Win win? Suggestions anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm going to say no.

People have asked for the ability to change species and I'm okay with that.

People have pointed out that players don't have access to the same advanced (Superior) traits that rare bridge officers do, and we should.

People have pointed out that the number of traits we have don't allow us to emulate exceptional characters from canon, like Spock.

(To be like Spock, you'd need a minimum of: Logical, Physical Strength, Acute Senses, Limited Telepathy, Mind Meld, and Nerve Pinch... but we can't have that many traits. So our characters are by definition not "special"?)

But this game does not have "magic" in the same sense you're suggesting. A "reincarnation" mechanic does not fit this game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-24-2012, 01:55 PM
ummm, dude, you started in February right? How many characters have you made and leveled up to 50 on the fed side, and how many KDF characters have you created and maxed out? How many STFs have you run over all those characters you've made. How many of the episodes have you played on all your characters and how many times have you replayed each??

I'm guessing not very many on all accounts. If you had, you would have already realized there is very little to no replay value to most of this game, either lack of the content or you've already ground parts of it to death too many times to even remotely think about doing it all over again.

All this for two extra traits and with real cash, definitely not worth it. MAYBE if you could switch to sci,tac,eng the second time around and keep all your skills and everything from the first time around...then maybe you'd be onto something.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Your first option is going to make a lot of lifers angry. I am willing to allow Klingon and Human Borg to be available through other means as long as only lifers can make alien borg.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
ummm, dude, you started in February right? How many characters have you made and leveled up to 50 on the fed side, and how many KDF characters have you created and maxed out? How many STFs have you run over all those characters you've made. How many of the episodes have you played on all your characters and how many times have you replayed each??

I'm guessing not very many on all accounts. If you had, you would have already realized there is very little to no replay value to most of this game, either lack of the content or you've already ground parts of it to death too many times to even remotely think about doing it all over again.

All this for two extra traits and with real cash, definitely not worth it. MAYBE if you could switch to sci,tac,eng the second time around and keep all your skills and everything from the first time around...then maybe you'd be onto something.
I have 2 Fed and 1 KDF each has been lvl 50 for several months. I have 200+ EDCs. I have played very few of the missions because the time they take in comparison to doing other things with better rewards means that the hand crafted missions go skipped. One character I leveled from 20 to 43ish in Kerrat only, because of the dilithium. My most recent character has some 724,000 unused bridge officer points. I could check the others but I know they are much more, probably 1M each.

The designed missions do give out a lot of XP but since XP isn't really useful, why not do just dilithium missions?