Lt. Commander
Since my characters are maxed out I am thinking about making another Engineer and have him be a tank.

So i was wondering with the new ability layout how would I build him to be a tank (soak up damage and maintain threat, and still be able to not have 15 straight misses with energy weapons.)

I know damage resistance is a must but what else?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
Since my characters are maxed out I am thinking about making another Engineer and have him be a tank.

So i was wondering with the new ability layout how would I build him to be a tank (soak up damage and maintain threat, and still be able to not have 15 straight misses with energy weapons.)

I know damage resistance is a must but what else?
PVE or PVP?
They're vastly different setups.

For Space PVE tanking, I'd re-state what I posted in another thread a few days ago. It was in respose to a thread about an Odyssey; but the gist of it can be applied to other Ships as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelwys
Tanking consists of two parts:
(i) Taking + holding aggro (via threat rating)
(ii) Increasing survivability in order to withstand large amounts of damage.

For the first, you can only increase your threat rating by doing more Damage, and by increasing your "Starship Threat Control" skill via captain training. Doing more damage basically consists of ramping up your multipliers (more Tactical +%damage consoles) and buffs (running at 125 Weapons power, using EPTW, APA, CRF, etc) whilst using appropriate weapons (Energy does more versus Shields, Kinetic does more versus Hulls). Using AoE abilities like Cannon Scatter Volley or Beam: Fire at Will can help you draw aggro from multiple foes at once.

For the second, there is a wide range of things that affect survivability.
But it mainly boils down to "CC", "damage debuffs", "resistances" and "heals".
The only other real exception is shield balancing.

Concerning CC, Gravity Well I is useful, but more as a snare than a source of damage.
Scramble Sensors/Sensor Jam are situationally useful, but short duration.

Aceton Beam is the only real Damage debuff available to Cruisers (weapons power subsystem draining isn't really feasible on a cruiser), but the only thing that should cause you much grief is Kinetic damage (Borg Heavy Plasma Torps, or Tac Cube Hull Breaches) so it's usually not needed.

Resistances and Heals are where it's at.

The endgame shields have resistance modifiers on them which aren't to be sneezed at, and you can slot Neutronium or Monotanium Alloy to cut down hull damage. Shield Capacity Consoles can help against spike damage, but ramping up your shield damage resistance is usually more effective - run at 125 shields when tanking (there really is no excuse on a tanking cruiser not to run at both 125 Weapons and 125 Shields - use two copies of EPTW and EPTS and run them both constantly) and use Transfer Shield Strength to ramp up your own shield resistances even further (along with Rotate Shield Frequency, if an Engineer Captain). Extend Shields is very nice to have - but you should NOT be using it regularly as it is an allied-only ability, and the enemy's attention should be planted firmly on YOU. For Hulls, when tanking, always stack a copy of Aux2SIF (for permanent extra Hull Resistance) and use Hazard Emitters situationally (for extra damage resistance, to cleanse "Assimilated" status or for extra healing over time). An Engineer Captain will also have "Miracle Worker" available for added situational healing, and Engineering Fleet for extra situational resistances.

For extra benefit, Brace For Impact can be used as a mini "Reverse Shield Polarity" with an appropriate DOFF. And you should ALWAYS be running a copy of Tactical Team I when Tanking. (Yes, you can balance shields manually, but it doesn't kick in anywhere nearly as quickly. When something big like a Gateway or Tac Cube is firing at you, Tactical team will keep your shield facing up whenever manual balancing would let it drop.) With Shields at 125, plus EPTS3, Aux2SIF3 + Tac Team stacked on you constantly; along with RSP, Brace for Impact, TSS, HE and RSF all available as situational heals/buffs, you will be very hard to kill.

With that in mind, I'd suggest the following setup for a Tanking Odyssey:

Universal LtCom (Eng): EPTW1, ES1, EPTS3
Eng Com: EPTW1, RSP1, EPTS3, Aux2SIF3
Universal Ensign (Tac): TT1
Tac LT: TT1, B:FAW (or APD:1)
Sci LT: HE1, TSS2

For situations where you don't need as much survivability, you could certainly swap things around. In that case, swapping the Universal Ensign and LtCom slots around would give you access to higher damage loadouts. Example: LtCom Tac - TT1, APB (or B:FAW), TS3; Ensign Eng: EPTW1.
For Ground PVE, no class can really tank multiple enemies very well, but an Engineer can "shield tank" a few foes at a time via "Reroute Power to Shields", and many Kit abilities are rather helpful such as Weapon Malfunction (stops an enemy from shooting at you), Fuse Armor (slows a foe's movement speed drastically - handy against meleeing enemies) and Combat Supply (endless supply of free Shield/Health Hypos, and you can swap the kit out immediately afterwards for a more useful one). Honestly though, I find that a Ground Engineer in PVE has better use as a 'Hardy Damage Dealer' via a swarm of placeable Turrets and Drones, Bombs, Mines, and Orbital Strike.

There used to be a few guides floating about on Ground PVP which detailled tactics (including Kit Swapping) that were also handy for PVE - but they appear to have been pruned or deleted. This thread still has some useful info though.