Lt. Commander
# 1 Sad week for MMOs.
05-25-2012, 12:12 PM
First 38 and then BW (if albeit predictably on both)...
I know some of the people who were affected.

My heart goes to them all.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-25-2012, 12:18 PM
What are you taking about?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Could you be any more vague? :p

I believe he is talking about layoffs. BW = Bioware. 38 = I dunno

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo...1224848p1.html

EDIT: 38 Studios

http://www.bostonherald.com/business...eid=1061134310
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDobbs View Post
Probably the collapse of 38 Studios. Not sure what BW is meant to be....
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I thought he was talking about error 37 and just got the number wrong. Diablo 3 is an MMO, right?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDobbs View Post
Indeed.

I don't feel sorry for either. The Old Republic is super polished and a cut above most MMO's, but ultimately (very sadly) dull, because it plays so much like World of ******** (which the entire target demographic has already played to death). Voice overs are great, but they are the ONLY substantial unique selling point, and - it would seem - that's just not enough to keep a really big audience.

I'll probably pick it up and cancel it again a few times (hey, it's Star Wars!), but it's not /compelling/. Not without something unique gameplay wise, like player driven content (either ala SWG or STO) or space combat (to pick two obvious examples).

Studio 38 have never made an MMO, Project Copernicus was just vapourware (and the concept art was a REALLY shameless rip off of WoW) - you have to wonder what they were thinking if they thought that was ever going to float.

I do miss some of the "crummier" smaller MMO's (I like Earth and Beyond, for example) but the world doesn't need more WoW clones. I am sad SWTOR wasn't more unique though.

For all the rough edges and limitations of STO that I hate, I have to concede it's better (at least, more compelling) for going it's own way, I keep playing regularly after 2 years!
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
i dont want anyone to lose their jobs and i feel sorry for anyone who has, although honestly ive never even heard of studio 38, so its a little hard to get emotional over people i never knew existed 30 seconds ago but nonetheless i hope they can find jobs quickly. perhaps some will even come to cryptic for sto, co or neverwinter.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-25-2012, 02:49 PM
38 Studios is known for Kingdoms of Amalur which is a good fantasy single player game IMO. The only other thing it is known for is Project Copernicus which is a possible MMO for next year if things work out for them.
Lt. Commander
WIth the loss of 25% initial subscribers, BioWare pink-slipped a significant chunk of their staff this week.

38 Studios, best-known to be owned by former pitching great, Curt Schilling, laid off everybody today.

Employees from both studios have been encouraged to send their CVs to Cryptic, which is hiring.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-26-2012, 10:33 AM
I doubt the Bioware thing was a surprise to anybody. I'm not convinced that even if TOR had taken off the way it was supposed to it would have made one jot of a difference.

The folks at Bio aren't stupid. I'm sure they started dusting off their resumes as soon as EA bought them out.

This is just what EA does. They buy great studios, absorb their IP into in-house game-mills, padlock the doors, and suck their new franchises dry by releasing crappy titles until the fanbase gets fed up and leaves. Look at Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Prime examples of EAification.

TOR is in the middle of the same cycle. It's only a matter of time before they take over TOR the same way and kick everyone else loose.

This is one of many reasons I fully support the boycott on EA products.