Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
Look at Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Prime examples of EAification.
I actually liked the change in Dragon Age 2. It was an *entirely* different game, but I thought it was still fun. And more unique. DA1 just felt like another NWN to me. The DLC though, oh, the EA DLC I despise. I have zero motivation to replay because it gives me the feeling that I'm missing half the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
I actually liked the change in Dragon Age 2. It was an *entirely* different game, but I thought it was still fun. And more unique. DA1 just felt like another NWN to me. The DLC though, oh, the EA DLC I despise. I have zero motivation to replay because it gives me the feeling that I'm missing half the game.
I disagree. They did not need to change what worked. ME3 was a great game until the horrifically written ending. SWTOR losing subscribers because of it. I do agree with DLC being a cheap thing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-26-2012, 02:42 PM
If Bioware were doing amazingly well, they wouldn't have been bought out by EA. They would have just kept doing amazingly well.

It is a tough time to launch a MMO. Lots of competition, poor economy, and very high expectations.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
If Bioware were doing amazingly well, they wouldn't have been bought out by EA. They would have just kept doing amazingly well.

It is a tough time to launch a MMO. Lots of competition, poor economy, and very high expectations.
From what I know is that EA buys promising companies and runs them into the ground, that has been their trend when they start losing money. EA on its own can't make enough to cover its expenses.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
If Bioware were doing amazingly well, they wouldn't have been bought out by EA. They would have just kept doing amazingly well.

It is a tough time to launch a MMO. Lots of competition, poor economy, and very high expectations.


Bioware had always made well polished and fairly high quality games. They had a great reputation in the industry. But in the turbulent gaming industry being in such flux, they needed EA's really deep pockets to help development expenses to produce and market todays generation games.

To date EA-Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and EA-Bioware's SW:ToR have been two of the most, if not the most, expensive games developed in recent years. An undertaking in which neither company would have been remotely able to do on their own. But like other studios before them EA threw em a bunch of money and then redirected their in-house resources all over the place and commenced to go through several "lay-off" phases after the games were released. Thus effectively destroying the smaller companies that EA absorbed.

WAR rolled over and flopped within its first year. Most of Mythics 5 star talent had already left the company for one reason or another when EA acquired them well before WAR. The result was a half cocked game with beautiful character modeling and artwork crammed on an outdated engine and the fundamental core was broken. But instead of even trying to fixing the game, EA moved almost all of Mythics resources over to Bioware to develop and finish ToR. Total shame too cause I really like the Warhammer IP. Thus WAR went into life support mode.


SW:ToR quite frankly is a really good game.......a really good SINGLE PLAYER game. The story arcs are good, most of the stuff is well drawn out. But there is no endgame once your done with the PvE side of it. . No large scale Open PvP that tens of thousands of players wanted and by bottlenecking all the PvP'rs into lame arena style instances, players are done with it and leaving ToR in droves.


All MMO's that EA has/had acquired and/or controlled inevitably went into a downward spiral. They seem to approach MMO's with the same logic as their Sports and other games. Which is develop it, produce it, market it and forget about it. MMOs have to evolve over time and constantly require attention and innovative ways to keep it attractive.... none of EA's controlled MMOs has, nor likely ever will.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeknow
All MMO's that EA has/had acquired and/or controlled inevitably went into a downward spiral. They seem to approach MMO's with the same logic as their Sports and other games. Which is develop it, produce it, market it and forget about it. MMOs have to evolve over time and constantly require attention and innovative ways to keep it attractive.... none of EA's controlled MMOs has, nor likely ever will.
I've boycotted anything with the EA logo on it soon after Need for Speed: Carbon.

Basically what they have been doing in NFS for many years is release the same game over and over again with minimal improvements besides the graphical engine, with gameplay getting worse with each iteration of the game. With each half-baked release (with less than 8 hours of enjoyable gameplay) they retail it for the full price of a new game.

There are now arcade racing games that are not only fun to play but have surprisingly realistic racing and driving dynamics as well. NFS has none of either.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-27-2012, 06:32 AM
I really hate that for both companies, but mainly BW. I would love to play SW:TOR (i am a huge fan of swkotor I and II), but refuse to play any game with a paid sub model. When they go f2p, i will probably spend more time there than here or my other mmo. (and it's almost inevitable for them to go f2p)

I really wish more companies would follow the GuildWars model of mmo's. I love Gw, and have purchased all 3 of them plus the expansion, and will be getting gw2 before release. I personally think they got it right with their model. I have no problem buying a game, but i will not subscribe to one that has a 15$/mnth price tag attached to it. And yes, i know that if you add up everything i spent in gw buying the 3 games, the expansion, several char slots, and several bank slots, it comes close to what a sub would be for 3 years. The main diff to me is as long as i am not paying a monthly fee, i dont feel obligated to play. Same with STO. Like the game, but would not even think about playing until it went f2p.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeknow
Bioware had always made well polished and fairly high quality games. They had a great reputation in the industry. But in the turbulent gaming industry being in such flux, they needed EA's really deep pockets to help development expenses to produce and market todays generation games.

To date EA-Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and EA-Bioware's SW:ToR have been two of the most, if not the most, expensive games developed in recent years. An undertaking in which neither company would have been remotely able to do on their own. But like other studios before them EA threw em a bunch of money and then redirected their in-house resources all over the place and commenced to go through several "lay-off" phases after the games were released. Thus effectively destroying the smaller companies that EA absorbed.

WAR rolled over and flopped within its first year. Most of Mythics 5 star talent had already left the company for one reason or another when EA acquired them well before WAR. The result was a half cocked game with beautiful character modeling and artwork crammed on an outdated engine and the fundamental core was broken. But instead of even trying to fixing the game, EA moved almost all of Mythics resources over to Bioware to develop and finish ToR. Total shame too cause I really like the Warhammer IP. Thus WAR went into life support mode.


SW:ToR quite frankly is a really good game.......a really good SINGLE PLAYER game. The story arcs are good, most of the stuff is well drawn out. But there is no endgame once your done with the PvE side of it. . No large scale Open PvP that tens of thousands of players wanted and by bottlenecking all the PvP'rs into lame arena style instances, players are done with it and leaving ToR in droves.


All MMO's that EA has/had acquired and/or controlled inevitably went into a downward spiral. They seem to approach MMO's with the same logic as their Sports and other games. Which is develop it, produce it, market it and forget about it. MMOs have to evolve over time and constantly require attention and innovative ways to keep it attractive.... none of EA's controlled MMOs has, nor likely ever will.
How much of that is EA though and how much of that is the simple fact that making a successful MMO is easier said than done? SoE did well with Everquest, but there was next to no competition back then. Nothing they have done since has really been spectacular.

WoW is still doing ok, but even it is suffering a net player loss.

Entertaining literal armies of people is not an easy task.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
If Bioware were doing amazingly well, they wouldn't have been bought out by EA. They would have just kept doing amazingly well.
What a shockingly naive thing to say.

That's actually just not true. Successful companies get bought out just as often as bargain basement failures. Bio was doing fine. It had made a few gaffs with their cash, but they were hardly struggling. I'll spare you the wall of text, but the Bio buy-out was a pretty complicated one. In a nutshell, though, it had nothing to do with Bio having money problems.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 AM.