Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Which is better? I quite like the Omega Force Rifle which I already have and it performs well alongside my PSG (Not omega) and omega force armor. I love the distortion field ability as well. I really just want to know which is the better investment?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIRALCUTTER28
Which is better? I quite like the Omega Force Rifle which I already have and it performs well alongside my PSG (Not omega) and omega force armor. I love the distortion field ability as well. I really just want to know which is the better investment?
Personaly i think if you are more of tanker then u should get MACO ground set, while if your support/dps not taking hits dirrectly then omega is the better choice.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-26-2012, 11:01 AM
The Omega carbine is alright until the Borg adapt to it, which is after only a few volleys due to the rapid fire nature of the weapon. The MACO rifle is a fairly powerful sniper rifle (higher damage than equivalent-mark [Borg] snipers), giving it a powerful secondary fire and fairly reliable single-target DPS, while also increasing your maximum range to greater than the Tactical Drones (vital in certain areas if you don't have the means to neuter the heavy or elites). In Elite STFs, for every Omega carbine I notice, I notice five or so MACO rifles, not counting my own.

Once you get the full set and the instant remodulation, the reliability gap closes a bit, though the Omega carbine is still more likely to get adapted to again before the instant remodulator cools down. On the other hand, the Omega carbine can put down a drone more quickly than the MACO rifle if they have the same adaptation status.

Regardless, you should combine the sets with at least one Exploit weapon (the MACO rifle is an Exploit weapon itself), as they both have means of passively Exposing the enemy, and the damage boost from Exploits comes in much more handy in Elite STFs, where the Heavy and Elite tactical drones can take quite a bit of fire before going down.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-26-2012, 06:18 PM
If you've already got two piece of same Mark level Omega Force gear I'd recommend you go ahead and finish it. The three piece set grants an instant remodulation power that is very, very nice in any STF (though it does have a 10 second cool down so your second weapon needs to be anything but anti-proton) and then start working towards MACO if that's what you want.

Personally I can't say which is better - I know that I liked the full Omega set a lot better than the one piece of the MACO I've gotten though I have no idea how the full MACO set would compare to the single piece. Neither set gives you any HP regen innate and I like having HP regen on my armor.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
I like the Omega SMG, as aforesaid the high burst DPS can shred weakly shielded or unshielded targets quickly. I use a phaser pulsewave as my primary battle weapon and the Omega autocarbine for finishing unshielded targets.

I picked the Omega set for pure aesthetic purposes as my Fed Tac is roleplayed as non-Starfleet 'indigenous' personnel. The joint forces nature of Omega battlegroup matches the desired aesthetic well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-30-2012, 02:02 PM
I use the Omega ground set. The 3-piece set has a nice evasion bonus for the entire team.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-01-2012, 06:06 AM
You practically need a sniper rifle, a shotgun and instant remodulation for elite STFs. That means the MACO set is the most viable option. Swapping out backup weapons from inventory is too much of a hassle.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Also has some dependency on what career you chose. Without the MACO shield capacitor, a tac officer has very few ways to heal shields, but lots of other ways to increase damage. Comparatively, the capacitor isn't as valuable to an eng or sci, who have other good heal options, but not as many damage improvement abilities.

I usually prefer the MACO set on my tac and Omega on others. The MACO rifle is generally more useful in STFs than the autocarbine for my playstyle though, since with it I have a long-range weapon with good damage and a pulsewave in the secondary for short-range fights.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-01-2012, 07:53 AM
the omega armor is unique due to it's 3 dmg modifiers (only chromodynamic armor has more dmg modifiers+critH, critD, +energy dmg), but has little resistance.
maco on the other hand has high resistance

on my sci i prefer maco to live longer and heal me and others, also for cure endboss i usually tank him with my sci toon, so he doesn't oneshot the grp.

with my tactical i prefer omega, to further boost my dmg output. I use operative kit, if i get aggro i simply cloak, and activate resistance bonus from the omega set, until i'm ready to strike again out of the cloak.

on my engi i also use a maco, due to the higher resistance.

if not fighting borg, i use a mix of both, mostly omega armor and maco shield + both weapons
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Currently I dont think either set is actually better than the other. One may suit a players perfered play style more than another.

Curently I perfer the Faction specific sets for my chars, M.A.C.O. for fedy and Honor Guard for K.D.F. when I am running borg based quests.

The Omega set is still a great set and I perfer it to the M.A.C.O. when not running Borg based quests. Honor Guard set with is weapon and combate drugs clickie are just to useful to un-equip, But I do use the carbine as a primary weapon in non-bog missions.

Like meny players I do use a Pulse Wave and Sniper Rifle combo for elite S.T.F.'s so that dose not allow for the equiping of the Carbine. In fact my only complaint for the Carbine is it dose seem like the Borg adapt to it after each 3 round burst on elite. Where as the Pulse waves and snipers I can generaly get 12+ targets hit with the pulsewave or 8+ hits with the sniper rifles before the borg adapt.

Given that you have 2 parts of a set if they are all the same Mk I would recomend completeing the set first. Getting that instant remod clickie more improtant than haveing to start over becouse the other set may be recomended more.

Currently for my chars I buy/find the Mk 10 faction set to get the remod clicky then head over to the elites and start working on the Mk 11/12 faction set if I end up with enough to get Mk 11/12 Omega I will for non borg mission and unlocking visuals.