Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I'm a tactical in a dreadnought cruiser, and I'm looking to see if I can minimize power drains from my beam arrays to those of an Engie's.

I was reading the item description of EPS flow regulators and I was surprised it mentioned power transfer rate. I was thinking that this console would improve power recharge rate. So, does power transfer rate increase recharge rate, or does some other item improve recharge rate, or does nothing reduce the strain of firing 7 or 8 beams outside of Nadeon Inversion?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-22-2012, 08:22 AM
All I know is, EPS only enhances power that is transferred between subsystems. It does not increase the energy recharge rate.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Weapons Batteries and EPtW1 help prevent drain.

EPS is power Transfer, it does not help with power recharge. If your not switching your Power Levels all the time don't run an EPS.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
If your not switching your Power Levels all the time don't run an EPS.
That's not true. If you drop out of full impulse, you want a fast power transfer.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-22-2012, 11:09 AM
EPS Flow capacitors, and Starship electro-plasma skill, improve power transfer rate.

What power transfer rate do? Increase the energy speed transfer beetween subsystems. For example:
if u have 2 energy profiles (one for attack, one for defense), the energy will swap faster from one to another. Also the energy will recover faster after u drop out of full impulse, and will recover faster after Beam overload. But IT WONT affect the energy recharge after firing, that cannot be improved, when the beams fire , each one consume 10 of energy, that is recovered AFTER the firing circle ends.

EPS is very usefull, but no for what u are looking for.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook-Yang
That's not true. If you drop out of full impulse, you want a fast power transfer.
Depends on a lot of things, but I'd argue dropping out of full impulse into a fight is simply a bad tactic. And putting Eng consoles in to compensate doesn't make it a good tactic when those consoles can boost your ships survival. A few points in the EPS skill should be all you need. And in an emergency I've been known to High Speed into combat and use a battery or Red Matter to get myself into fighting shape.

Lets also consider you've changed the context of my answer which was will it help him compensate for eight Beam Arrays, and we can both agree that it won't.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Okay, looks like I'd better stick to 7 beams. On the bright side, I now have room for something else in that console slot.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-23-2012, 06:04 AM
If you use beam overload or fire at will, you'll be glad that you fit at least one EPS regulator to your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Depends on a lot of things, but I'd argue dropping out of full impulse into a fight is simply a bad tactic. And putting Eng consoles in to compensate doesn't make it a good tactic when those consoles can boost your ships survival. A few points in the EPS skill should be all you need. And in an emergency I've been known to High Speed into combat and use a battery or Red Matter to get myself into fighting shape.

Lets also consider you've changed the context of my answer which was will it help him compensate for eight Beam Arrays, and we can both agree that it won't.
No matter whether you drop to full impulse directly into a battle, or somewhat before - a good flow rate means you're fully charged sooner. And this can be very important if you are not fighting alone - your presence on the battlefield allows you to help taking out a target before it can recover, or can help a ship recovering from sustained damage before it gets overwhelmed. And some extra Hull Armor won't help you here at all.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
No matter whether you drop to full impulse directly into a battle, or somewhat before - a good flow rate means you're fully charged sooner. And this can be very important if you are not fighting alone - your presence on the battlefield allows you to help taking out a target before it can recover, or can help a ship recovering from sustained damage before it gets overwhelmed. And some extra Hull Armor won't help you here at all.
What MustrumRidcully said.