Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-29-2012, 04:55 AM
I quite enjoyed the bicker and dicker in the middle of the show. Good on you for not cutting it short or censoring (much).
I feel confident staff meetings at Cryptic sound *exactly* like that. These decisions are not easy, hard to predict, and the team is passionate. Try not to forget how many of the current devs came from the community as avid players and fans first. They too want a fun and affordable game for their friends and family. If the game doesn't succeed, they are out of a job. How can anyone justify bad decisions get made on purpose? The rules for the F2P model are being rewritten every day, before our eyes. STO will certainly not be the game that solves these issues to everyone's satisfaction, thanks to the passion the IP instills.

If you start to walk the cynic's path of "collecting a paycheck destroys that passion" then you might as well give up video games entirely, because that means the whole industry is doomed. I for one don't want to wait ten years for a group of volunteers to "re-make" their Favourite Game Franchise X. Neither do I depend on community authors for compelling content and new loot, otherwise I'd be busy playing Team Fortress 2!

Players should keep doing their part, tell the industry what games we want to play. Considering how many of us would give the blood from our veins to work in video games, it's wrong to think the fine people doing it now are any less devoted to their work.
@B
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-29-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMerzan
at least yall are sticking around chris is canceling stoked again i guess he has his new shinny to play with in tor lol
TORked's last podcast was 05/09/2012 so not sure if he is keeping it or not. He might be keeping it on the back burner til he closes down STOked but you are right though this is not the first time he has threaten cancellation with STOked. Glad its going to Asmick it just sucks its going to radio pod casting.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Thoughts on charging for featured episodes. I would do a system like DCUO's "expansion" system. Paying players and lifers in DCUO get the expansions for FREE, but F2P players have to pay $10 for the new content.
A DCUO expansion usually includes new VOs, new raid, new gear, new dailies, new powers and abilities and for the most part the content is replayable. Compare that to a FE series and it makes $10 actually sound expensive for FEs.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackynews View Post
I quite enjoyed the bicker and dicker in the middle of the show. Good on you for not cutting it short or censoring (much).
I feel confident staff meetings at Cryptic sound *exactly* like that. These decisions are not easy, hard to predict, and the team is passionate. Try not to forget how many of the current devs came from the community as avid players and fans first... If the game doesn't succeed, they are out of a job...
If you start to walk the cynic's path of "collecting a paycheck destroys that passion" then you might as well give up video games entirely, because that means the whole industry is doomed... Neither do I depend on community authors for compelling content and new loot, otherwise I'd be busy playing Team Fortress 2!
Players should keep doing their part, tell the industry what games we want to play. Considering how many of us would give the blood from our veins to work in video games, it's wrong to think the fine people doing it now are any less devoted to their work. ...

I totally agree with you and thank you for listening! We regularly express the passion and efforts of Cryptic's STO team on our show and are avid fans of giving someone or a company the benefit of the doubt. We love to express our desires for the game, and we note that we have no idea if they're all possible since we can't see the true Cryptic/STO immediate priorities, budget, or list of how many players pay or don't pay for certain services or items. Only PWE and Cryptic know exactly what it takes to keep STO alive and help it grow, but we all agree that STO is both awesome as well as in need of lots of revamping. We definitely want STO to survive and continue to improve. I personally am lucky to have visited Cryptic quite a number of times. I'm familiar with how many designers and programmers they have and how super friendly, brilliant, passionate about Star Trek, and overworked they are. Outside of the STO staff environment, and as a STO player myself, I also am aware of and am intimately familiar with the past programming mistakes and current bugs, current economy(s), drop rates, content, character, and costume voids, and a lot more still haunting and hindering game play and the current player base and community. Our job on Priority One is to express ourselves as STO game players, discuss the realities and possibilities of every issue and project from as many viewpoints as possible, and to keep it fair, honest, entertaining, and fresh.

~ Adrianne Grady
@agrady
Audio Engineer and Host - Priority One
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrady
IOur job on Priority One is to express ourselves as STO game players, discuss the realities and possibilities of every issue and project from as many viewpoints as possible, and to keep it fair, honest, entertaining, and fresh.
Hey Adrianne. Nice to see you drop by.

Without trying or wanting to be impertinent... is this current line (of pulling no punches) a deliberate change in editorial direction and policy for Priority One? I can't help but notice - and with great respect to the man - since Brandon left the show for his role as Cryptic's community manager, Priority One has been considerably more vocal in representing the more critical feedback of the fanbase.

I want to stress that I don't see this as a bad thing, because it is fantastic to see you say it so plainly after hearing it first-hand in the last few episodes. I'm just curious if there has been some shift on the production side of P1 to reconsider the podcast's 'angle' with respect to the line between Cryptic and its community.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Hey Adrianne. Nice to see you drop by.

Without trying or wanting to be impertinent... is this current line (of pulling no punches) a deliberate change in editorial direction and policy for Priority One? I can't help but notice - and with great respect to the man - since Brandon left the show for his role as Cryptic's community manager, Priority One has been considerably more vocal in representing the more critical feedback of the fanbase.
I am glad you are pleased with what you hear. But we have not made a conscious shift in our editorial policy.

We have never in the past pulled any punches where our opinions are concerned. Nor are we now. Our goal, now as always, has been to present an entertaining show about a game we love.

Where the lockboxes are concerned, we have addressed them numerous times in previous episodes, in the most academic manner that we are capable of. We recently decided that the lockbox debate was no longer worth the amount of energy we were spending on it. But, before we moved on, we wanted to make sure that we took the opportunity to clearly state our opinions as well as offer some ideas on ways to fix what we perceive as an issue with the game.

In the future, our opinions will no doubt align with and also vary from those of the most vocal members of the STO community. Then, as now, they will still just be our opinions.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Howdy, Koppenflak! *waves*

*nods to Picard83* Seriously. Pain Sticks. Waaaant.

-
Keep a lobe out for the next episode - as requested by a number of listeners, Dar Sluga, the Priority One resident Ferengi is back and talks about a new product in a short (fake) commercial. We also have some cool real world tech to note, trekkie news, and lots of STO chat goodness!

Our Live show crazy fun is coming up again this Thursday at 4pm PST - join us on Livestream - http://www.livestream.com/priorityonepodcast and then jump into STO with us! -or- download our full episode on Monday's at http://www.thequantumcafe.com/priorityone

~ Adrianne Grady
@agrady
Audio Engineer and Host - Priority One
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilv View Post
Thoughts on charging for featured episodes. I would do a system like DCUO's "expansion" system. Paying players and lifers in DCUO get the expansions for FREE, but F2P players have to pay $10 for the new content.
A DCUO expansion usually includes new VOs, new raid, new gear, new dailies, new powers and abilities and for the most part the content is replayable. Compare that to a FE series and it makes $10 actually sound expensive for FEs.
Even though i'm a F2P user i know that those who are paying on a subscription should be getting more and possibly earlier. The problem is that until there is enough content, gear, powers or otherwise to keep both subscribers, and F2P users occupied until the next set of content is released then neither party will be happy.

Those who do pay should essentially get things first but then what about the F2P users who purchase via the C Store. I think Cryptic needs to go a bit more in depth in tis explanation between F2P and Subscribers besides what they have already released.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Loved the show as always.

Ferasans where put ingame simply to appease the cries for the Kzinti that many asked for almost two years ago. The Kzinti where not possible so the Devs finally put a copy of that race ingame instead.

I personally loved the Kzinti and like the Ferasans but would have prefered the Dog-like race from soft canon instead to be the offset to the fed caittains.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-31-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrady
. I personally am lucky to have visited Cryptic quite a number of times. I'm familiar with how many designers and programmers they have and how super friendly, brilliant, passionate about Star Trek, and overworked they are.
Wait, when have you visited Cryptic? Did I miss you reporting about this? Why was there no fanfare about it? or did you personally know people at Cryptic before starting on the podcast? Is that why you got the gig with the PO team?

If you guys at PO want to claim you speak for the community and are not bias, it would be good to know you are not hanging out with the Dev team every night. Not that you can’t go sailing with them on the weekends if you want. Some of them seem to be a nice guys and gals. However, it would just help your audience to know if you are really being objective about Cryptic or just helping to support your friends.